Faulty Odometer after Halfords fitted stereo

Edna Cloud
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I bought a 4 year old Citroen C4 Grand Picasso mid June 2014 with 19k on the clock from a reputable dealer with an up to date MOT certificate (June 2014). Mid July 2014 a small Halfords near where I work fitted a Sony stereo that they sold me, and on the way home I noticed some of my peripheral electrics (air con, fans) were not working. I rang the store and they gave me the run around, so I rang another local store (nearer home) that is bigger (with more helpful staff), and they agreed to repair it for me, using the Autocentre attached.

I had the car back, with the factory issue original stereo reinstalled and the faults rectified. I wasn't given any paperwork at the time, and although I asked and rang a couple of times, none was sent out to me. Life as a busy full time working single mum continued, and I forgot about it - my husband left me that same May and life was quite chaotic for a while. I did get some odd number readings when the display came on, but I assumed they were not my mileage as I hadn't taken the time to read the manual and the display was complicated with lots of toggling between menus, and I am always in a rush.

I took my car for a new MOT and service this week, to be told my car in just over 11 months (May 2015) now reads 137k on the clock. This is clearly logged on the new MOT certificate. I have been in touch with Halfords, and the Autocentre found the original paperwork which said that at the end of July 2014 when they completed the repair my mileage was 133k - so that is a jump in 5 weeks from 19k to 133k.

Halfords seem to have washed their hands of it, even though it was their fitting service that created the problem, as they are blaming the repair by the Autocentre. The Autocentre customer services has just rung me and asked me to take the car to an 'independent audio technician' for a 'report'. I acted dumb and said I didn't know any and wouldn't know what to say, so they are ringing the autocentre in the morning to recommend a local audio technician, and to get the Autocentre to prep the audio technician with exactly what they want to find out.

This sounds fishy to me - like the two companies (both subsidiaries of Halfords) are trying to pass the buck, plus expecting me to pay for this report. At the end of the day, I bought a stereo from Halfords and had it fitted by Halfords, not the Autocentre, therefore any problem that I have should be rectified by Halfords.

I don't know where to go from here. Help :(

thanks for listening,

Edna

Hi Edna and welcome to CAG,

Unless you have recorded all phone calls about this matter, you need to avoid using the phone and get matters confirmed in writing.

Have you written at all yet, to the Halfords branch, the Autocentre or to Halfords Head Office.

Just so you know what you may be up against, read this thread - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?440469-Halfords-overfilled-engine-oil-then-bodged-repair-then-denied-liability!-Legal-action-starting!-HELP-needed!&p=4684483&viewfull=1#post4684483

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

20,000 miles (5,000 py) is very low so the car must have been immaculate.

Have you had an HPI check done ? This is very important, if not, do it now.

Was that mileage quoted in the advert or on any paperwork you have beside the MoT ?

If you don't have a copy of the cars first MoT to compare mileage with, then go here and check it - https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

There should be no reason whatsoever for any other electrical parts to stop working or play up when fitting a radio. Even if you are having a different make fitted, there are adaptors for all of them so it is just a case of pull out, unplug old one, plug, (maybe with an adaptor), the new one and reinsert it, so it sounds as if they have done something they shouldn't have especially as all was ok when the old one was put back.