• Tweets

• Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Problems paying Provident loans

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3131 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys.

I would really appreciate some help with this. A member of my OH's family has run up at least £3k credit with Provident.

She is very unwell at the moment and has been hospitalised and her doctors are concerned about the impact of all of this on her mental wellbeing.

I've seen agreements for 2 loans that I think are currently running, costing £30 and £200 a month each, but I haven't seen all the paperwork yet.

Her husband has been signed off sick from work and is only receiving SSP and possibly some benefits.

This means he can't afford next week's payments - what can he do please?

The other concern is that their finances weren't sufficient to fund this borrowing so it could be irresponsible lending.

Should we be sending off an SAR please? Thank you for any thoughts you have on this muddle.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first I would be contacting Provi and informing them that these repayments are unaffordable, that their circumstances have changed dramatically, and for the foreseeable future, payments will be reduced to the legal token payment of £1 a month.

Inform them of ill health, but obviously don't give in to their demands to view confidential doctors notes or letters to 'confirm' this.

Provi only provide loans between 100 and 1000, and even a 1000 loan spread over the full 52 weeks is only £35 a week?

http://www.providentpersonalcredit.com/

SAR could well be a good start,

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thank you BB.

I was interested to see the £100 to £1000 figures on the website as well. One of the loan agreements I have a copy of definitely says £2,500 repayable at £50 a week for 110 weeks.

Should correspondence go to their Bradford address please? And why wouldn't you show them copies of doctors' letters?

HB

Should correspondence go to their Bradford address please? And why wouldn't you show them copies of doctors' letters

Simply because they are strictly private and confidential, between Dr & patient, don't let these loan sharks get above their station!

Not sure about the Address?

This is their debt 'advice' http://www.providentpersonalcredit.com/loan-repayment-difficulties/

But seeing as they're registered at the Bradford address, I would think it would be perfectly correct to send it there?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yes got it cheers!

All read and understood, did reply but either yours or my message box is full?

Anyhow, if that's all it says, I don't see any problem.

If they then begin demanding anything further, then the complaints can start to roll in, after all, they're not medically trained/qualified, so that info the Dr has provided should be fine.

Plus it's always better to send it before they request it, it can only help them in this situation.

If they refuse to help or frustrate the process, then it will only ever go against them if it ever reaches the dizzy heights of legal action,

which I don't think it will...

Is this being paid at the door or via a Direct Debit, HB ?

If by DD - then get that stopped immediately. Any payments that might be made after the DD has been cancelled, can be reclaimed using the DD guarantee.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can i throw my 2 cents in on this? ^__^

I suspect that the loan agent will get very pushy especially after knowing payment wont be forthcoming.

Can I make a suggestion that someone sits round with them and records everything that they say privately so that you are both covered.

I would also suggest that the payments are dropped to £1 / Week / Month depending on what they can do.

As advice for what you have given me, these arent priority debts and even so, if it did go to court then i suspect that either these would get reduced heavily / payment plan agreed and stuck to £1 a week or they get written off due to the unwell nature of the wife.

Is it just her on the agreement? If so then, they cant force the Husband to pick up the debts as he is not the "debtor" in question.

Please Please Please... It might be worth emailing [email protected] and complaining about the irresponsible lending.

Also on the other side, make sure you tell those 2 that they are in good hands and are going to be okay, last thing they need is to be worrying about this :), It takes its toll, something I only know all too well.

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

My daughter has a provi loan and TBH, affordability never enters the equation. Irresponsible lending is their modus operandi!

I am hoping the loans are in one name only. Both names, both liable.

While I wouldn't want any personal info given out, the consultant at the hospital may be able to do a letter which may help the situation.

Once the SAR comes back (is she mentally capable of understanding the letter of authority?) you can then soon see if they have loaned without the relevant checks. Also check the credit files.

IF the loans are in her name and no real prospect of recovery in the long term, I would hope that provi write it off :flypig:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I've seen separate loan agreements for the same amount in both names, if that makes sense. It's not clear if it's one loan or two at this stage.

For now, I would say she isn't capable of understanding the LOA atm.

Correction, they're not loan agreements, they're pre-contract information print-outs.

HB

Edited by honeybee13

I have had my share of DCA chasing me and i found out provident were OK after you get through the first layer collections

i had taken out a Satsuma loan, it was for £500 payable back weekly. I suffered a major medical condition and was ill health retired from work. They were pushy (Provident) to begin with but i stuck to my guns. I paid back £10 a week and stuck to it. It was a struggle and made the last payment last week. As i negotiated etc they did not default me with the credit agencies, just arrangement to pay.

All i can say is phone them and ask to be put in touch with the collections dept/ Credit control. I might have just struck lucky, or they really do subscribe to helping borrowers in financial difficulty

• Haha 1

I have had my share of DCA chasing me and i found out provident were OK after you get through the first layer collections

i had taken out a Satsuma loan, it was for £500 payable back weekly. I suffered a major medical condition and was ill health retired from work. They were pushy (Provident) to begin with but i stuck to my guns. I paid back £10 a week and stuck to it. It was a struggle and made the last payment last week. As i negotiated etc they did not default me with the credit agencies, just arrangement to pay.

All i can say is phone them and ask to be put in touch with the collections dept/ Credit control. I might have just struck lucky, or they really do subscribe to helping borrowers in financial difficulty

Thank you, that's very helpful. :)

HB

Can i throw my 2 cents in on this? ^__^

I suspect that the loan agent will get very pushy especially after knowing payment wont be forthcoming.

Can I make a suggestion that someone sits round with them and records everything that they say privately so that you are both covered.

I would also suggest that the payments are dropped to £1 / Week / Month depending on what they can do.

As advice for what you have given me, these arent priority debts and even so, if it did go to court then i suspect that either these would get reduced heavily / payment plan agreed and stuck to £1 a week or they get written off due to the unwell nature of the wife.

Is it just her on the agreement? If so then, they cant force the Husband to pick up the debts as he is not the "debtor" in question.

Please Please Please... It might be worth emailing [email protected] and complaining about the irresponsible lending.

Also on the other side, make sure you tell those 2 that they are in good hands and are going to be okay, last thing they need is to be worrying about this :), It takes its toll, something I only know all too well.

Hello and thank you for replying. We shall certainly complain if the SAR throws anything up about irresponsible lending, etc.

Noted about someone being there and the recording. Apparently the agent doesn't have a set time to arrive and just rings to say they're on their way. I don't live close to these people, so need time to get there. My OH has just downloaded a sound recorder onto his smartphone, so I can use that if the member of the family can't record. Or maybe I'll do it as a back up. :)

I plan to type up the SAR request and an adapted template letter from our library asking to reduce payments, to be sent to head office. Another member of the site team has suggested that he writes to head office to explain the problems, with the letter from the hospital and his I&E sheet. Then tell him not to let the agent in and hand them a copy of the letter [without the personal information] on the next collection day.

Can he sign the letters on behalf of both of them?

HB

Can he sign the letters on behalf of both of them?

I don't see why not, given the current state of her mental health, only a fool would try and claim they can't accept anything without her sig on it.

Have you had a look through MALG?

http://www.malg.org.uk/debtmentalhealth.html

I've no idea sorry, just been on their website to try and find out, and came across this little gem!

I had my first Provident loan when I was 18, and I’m 43 now so I think that’s a good indicator of customer satisfaction!

http://www.providentpersonalcredit.com/complaints-procedure/

25 years to pay off his loan from when he was 18!!!

OK, OK, I know what they're saying really....

Agree with BB, Great idea...

However, also send a copy of the letter, slightly amended saying a SAR Request is being sent and you are complaining.

Secretly, I wanna see these written off

We could do with some help from you.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Agree with BB, Great idea...

However, also send a copy of the letter, slightly amended saying a SAR Request is being sent and you are complaining.

Secretly, I wanna see these written off

I've done separate letters for the SAR and asking to pay token payments. I was going to see what the SAR says before complaining, are you saying that should be mentioned now?

HB