Car hire chaos predicte as paper licence scrapped

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3215 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The paper counterpart driving licence is being axed on June 8 – and organisations are warning that drivers will need a ‘special code’ from the DVLA to hire a car or drive a company vehicle.

Currently, penalty points are displayed on a driver’s counterpart licence, but from June 8 they’ll be recorded on a virtual record which can be accessed online, by phone or post.

Should you need proof of your driving history, motorists will need to get a code from the DVLA to pass on to their employer or hire car company.

This unique eight-digit code can be accessed online through the DVLA’s ‘share your licence’ service, or over the phone.

But the code only lasts for three days – leading to criticism that drivers might be stranded abroad unable to hire a car if they’re unable to contact the DVLA or are simply unaware of the changes.

http://www.admiral.com/newsletter/paperless-driving-licence.php?media=enewe&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=enewsletter

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Paperless driving licence: DVLA changes explained as Brit holidaymakers anticipate car hire chaos

DVLA driving licence paperless change could mean car chaos this summer

How silly ! If you are moving home hiring a van, it will add to the stress if you find out about this at the last minute. It might cause delays and houses not being cleared before completion.

What if the DVLA system is down or the hire company cannot access the details. I suspect they will stop looking for motoring offence details and get people to sign some declaration.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Or they could just log in online and get a new code wherever they are in the world. What is so hard about that?

So you are going to Australia with a 2 day stop off in Singapore. By the time you arrive the code is no longer valid and you have to apply from the airport for a new code. Unfortunately DVLA system is down for updates and you now don't know how you will get to your destination that is a 2 hour drive a way. So you end up waiting in the airport for hours waiting for DVLA to restart their system.

This will cause so much hassle for people, unless hire companies don't bother and just get a declaration signed saying no driving offences or no more than say 1 minor offence.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

luckily, afaik, it doesnt effect those with still a full paper licence. :)

But will foreign hire firms know that I wonder?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

What happens to foreigners who arrive in the UK, and wish to hire a car, do they have paper licences?

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

It is just typical of government departments like DVLA to screw up systems when trying to save money and supposedly make life easier! I wholly agree with the scrapping of the paper part of the licence and that's all they needed to do.

My photo card licence already holds most of the information required and should a hire company or employer wish to search my driving history the photo card licence has a unique ID for me (Driver No) which should be the key for them to use for further checks!

In the words of Aleksandr the Meerkat "Simples"

But will foreign hire firms know that I wonder?

wld hope so! :)

i presume thats correct re a full paper licence?

It is just typical of government departments like DVLA to screw up systems when trying to save money and supposedly make life easier! I wholly agree with the scrapping of the paper part of the licence and that's all they needed to do.

My photo card licence already holds most of the information required and should a hire company or employer wish to search my driving history the photo card licence has a unique ID for me (Driver No) which should be the key for them to use for further checks!

In the words of Aleksandr the Meerkat "Simples"

So you are saying that once someone has your log in details, I.e your driver licenece number, they can have unlimited lifetime access to your driver record? I don't like the sound of that.

The plan in place is to use a very similar plan WITH a time limited password that resets after a few days so that those with access for checks don't have unlimited access.

Now that, is simples.

• 2 weeks later...

i presume thats correct re a full paper licence?

seems not! whilst the full paper licence is still valid....

'But from 8 June, any new penalty points you get will be recorded electronically, and will not be printed or written on either photocard licences or paper driving licences' ?

seems not! whilst the full paper licence is still valid....

'But from 8 June, any new penalty points you get will be recorded electronically, and will not be printed or written on either photocard licences or paper driving licences' ?

Hire companies abroad do not check for points anyway, but if they did it would be a pain. If you are on a long haul flight with a stopover, the DVLA access code would have expired by the time it was required. They should have made the access code valid for say 2 weeks.

From my experience some UK hire companies check for points and people will need to remember before they get to the hire company.