Barclays - Huge amount disappears from account

Zaurka
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank for posting this information, this was really helpful as I experienced the same situation with Barclays couple of days ago. Hope this info would also be of some help.

Checking my online account I have noticed that 27,000 has been taken from the account 'To Reconcile' for nor obvious reason. The first thing I have done is visited the nearest branch to check what's wrong. The operator checked the account and was looking puzzled no less than me. She made several calls but all in vain, she was bounced from one department to another and could not retrieve any information herself. Then she passed me to senior manager in the branch who took me to separate room to check my case. he also made several calls and in the end told me that there is nothing he can help me and he has no information what happened. That was not obviously not the answer I expected so I insisted him to dig deeper and give me some more detailed information. But he said he can't help me - imagine what I felt, if the staff in the bank can only tell you that they can't help and they don't know what happened with your money. I was not happy with that at all and said that he could be more helpful than confirming his total unawareness of current situation and inability to help. All he could say is to wait, I asked for how long, he said couple of days, I asked in turn that couple of days is to vague (it might be 2, might 5 or even 10 days)... and again no reaction. The only thing he suggested to make is to log a formal complain.

I have been making calls to support with regards to my case couple of times but was always getting an answer than they don't know what happened and feeded me with suggestions to wait. Finally, 10 days later I got a call from Barclays with person telling me that complain was finally investigated and case resolved. Money was returned back to account, all they said is that there was an 'operational error' and sent me a formal letter of apology.

I was thinking what could have triggered them to freeze the funds on the account. There have not been any cheques paid, so seemed no sound reason for that. But then couple of days after the funds were taken 'to reconcile' I realised what might went wrong. couple of days before that I made an international transfer using one of the currency exchange providers (that I used for couple of years without any problems). But this time it seems smth went wrong, currency exchange provider could not process transaction and refunded back to my account 6k. This obviously triggered the whole situation.

Now looking retrospectively at this situation I do realise that banks have to follow legislation and check transactions for AML purposes. But the way they (in this case Barclays) treated the customer was totally inappropriate (no one bothered to contact me within those 10 days of wait, no help in the branches, no time frames mentioned that this might go for)... total neglect of the customer concerns. Obviosly smth needs to be done in this regard as it costed me so much nerves ...

Thank for posting this information, this was really helpful as I experienced the same situation with Barclays couple of days ago. Hope this info would also be of some help.

Checking my online account I have noticed that 27,000 has been taken from the account 'To Reconcile' for nor obvious reason. The first thing I have done is visited the nearest branch to check what's wrong. The operator checked the account and was looking puzzled no less than me. She made several calls but all in vain, she was bounced from one department to another and could not retrieve any information herself. Then she passed me to senior manager in the branch who took me to separate room to check my case. he also made several calls and in the end told me that there is nothing he can help me and he has no information what happened. That was not obviously not the answer I expected so I insisted him to dig deeper and give me some more detailed information. But he said he can't help me - imagine what I felt, if the staff in the bank can only tell you that they can't help and they don't know what happened with your money. I was not happy with that at all and said that he could be more helpful than confirming his total unawareness of current situation and inability to help. All he could say is to wait, I asked for how long, he said couple of days, I asked in turn that couple of days is to vague (it might be 2, might 5 or even 10 days)... and again no reaction. The only thing he suggested to make is to log a formal complain.

I have been making calls to support with regards to my case couple of times but was always getting an answer than they don't know what happened and feeded me with suggestions to wait. Finally, 10 days later I got a call from Barclays with person telling me that complain was finally investigated and case resolved. Money was returned back to account, all they said is that there was an 'operational error' and sent me a formal letter of apology.

I was thinking what could have triggered them to freeze the funds on the account. There have not been any cheques paid, so seemed no sound reason for that. But then couple of days after the funds were taken 'to reconcile' I realised what might went wrong. couple of days before that I made an international transfer using one of the currency exchange providers (that I used for couple of years without any problems). But this time it seems smth went wrong, currency exchange provider could not process transaction and refunded back to my account 6k. This obviously triggered the whole situation.

Now looking retrospectively at this situation I do realise that banks have to follow legislation and check transactions for AML purposes. But the way they (in this case Barclays) treated the customer was totally inappropriate (no one bothered to contact me within those 10 days of wait, no help in the branches, no time frames mentioned that this might go for)... total neglect of the customer concerns. Obviosly smth needs to be done in this regard as it costed me so much nerves ...

Please will you post this story in your own thread and then we will be very pleased to advise you to help you.

New thread started for this case.

Looks like it's already resolved though, but always good to see how these cases run.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)