Scs carpet nonsense and query

stevep
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After a month or so living with family, we got to visit our new house to measure for carpets a week before getting the keys. Having duely taken all available measurements we walked into our local scs store to sort us out.

After having a brief 'we normally send an estimator round, but as you've got the measurements, if you're happy to go ahead, so are we...' chat, the guy set to work arranging the jigsaw in his head so that we could keep waste (and cost) to a minimum. So far, so good.

We paid - still going well.

Then phone calls start. 'we won't be able to fit on the day we agreed, it'll be the day after'. I offered to cancel the order and suddenly they could do it on the day!

Next phone call. I didn't realise you were over the Severn Bridge. You'll have to add bridge toll to the money you still need to pay the fitters - Ummmm, no, you had my address, deal with it.

On the day, the boys arrive. 'You have got our money haven't you?' - yes, good morning to you, hope you had a safe journey, I do have the money agreed, I just need the carpet to be laid first.

Guys worked hard, with minimal fuss. I got on with some jobs, going back regularly to check on them. Got a call late afternoon to go back as they'd finished and wanted payment. Got to the property, boys loading van, paid guy holding the paperwork whilst being told all the waste was my problem and then he proceeded to tell me about the 'issue'! All rooms were done except for the hall way. It was the right length but because one room had been cut out of the whole roll, it had left too big a gap at the bottom of the stairs (2feet) so they were taking it back to the store to 'sort it out'.

Didn't receive a call within 3 days so I called the. 'oh yes sir, you have a problem don't you. Your measurements weren't right'. Nothing wrong with my meamusements we both have a copy of them. 'but you missed one measurement off' Ummmm, yes, ok, but you didn't ask me for it when you were juggling it in your head. 'i did, I asked you if you could lie down in that space and you said yes'. Now apart from not remembering that part of the conversation at all (and it not really being the most accurate form of measurement) I could actually lie in that space, I'm 5'10 and the space is 6'2 - certainly not a 2 foot difference. Either way, trust is broken, guy starts being arrogant because he does this job all of the time and couldn't possibly have made a mistake, and so I ask to speak to store manager. SM is not in, but he'll call me!

4 days later I rang to see if SM was in - he got the admin to phone and tell me he'd call the next day once he'd spoken to sales person - I said that I'd be at the store at 9am the next day to speak to them both, and all of a sudden he was ok to speak to me. We went through the detail above and told him I was a reasonable person, I had missed a measurement, but was certainly not going to accept full responsibility and top up scs profits by ordering yet another piece of carpet. I was unclear whether it was a mis-measure, whether it had been cut incorrectly, whether the wrong room had been taken out if it, or whether it was a good honest mistake. They had the carpet, so I couldn't check.

I agreed to pay cost price just to get the matter resolved, and move on. An estimator came out, I paid - so far, so good!

2 weeks later, still no carpet! Phoned store who said they could do any day convenient for me (as long as it was Wednesday - certainly not the Friday I needed). Took wed off, arranged to work Friday instead. Weds came, got text that fitters had been over booked and couldn't make it - could they come Fri instead? Grrr. Yes come Friday. ok see you at 7:30am! Got kids up and out to school to get another text, stuck in traffic going to another job first, see you later afternoon.

By 2pm it was fitted, and all of the waste left again - including the original that didn't fit!

I've unrolled all 4 pieces left and NONE of them are an 'L' shape which would have fitted the shape of the hallway, with or without a 2feet gap at the bottom of the stairs! This leaves me wondering if the problem wasn't actually that the measurements were wrong, but that the fitters actually got a bit trigger happy and cut too much off the roll.

I've now got a house that's carpeted,but it still annoys me that I've had such a poor customer experience and paid extra to rectify a problem with measurements, and now I'm not even sure that the measurements were even the issue!

Not sure what I can do, if anything, but atleast people who have read this will be able to make their own judgement about whether to use Scs or not!