Poss no contract, 'staff must be Flexible', thoughts?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3254 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys, recently the shop I work at has had a few issues and I'm hoping to know where I (and a couple others) stand with things.

Looking through my paperwork re; issues recently I can't find a copy of my contract. I also do not remember if I ever signed one (I may or may not have). Iirc they have 3 months from me starting to issue me a copy (if I did sign one). If I DIDNT sign one, under what terms am I actually working if anything came to a head?

On the above note, several times recently in conversation it's come up that 'staff must be flexible' regarding their hours and that it's stated in our contracts. Without having my contract to hand I've no way of telling if this is true, nor whether there's any stated definition of flexible. Would there be anything that would be standard for this definition?

"whatever hours they tell you, maybe none some weeks, and perhaps mandatory overtime." is the worst case scenrio.

Is this an actual problem where they have asked for something unreasonable, or theoretical, or a concern becuse of childcare, or what?

What are you dealing with here? "Issues" is too vague to advise on.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Why not simply ask them for a copy of the contract ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There's been several occasions (weekly almost) where there's an issue either with the rota or staff requesting from the manager they change a shift and it doesn't get sorted until either the day before of the day of the shift in question. Most recently, in one day, the rota was changed so 5 different people had to change their shift around because of the rota being mucked up and the wrong people being in at the same time (ie 2 people not trained being in together on a shift where at least one needed training in certain things). Some of it was arranged in advance (a couple of days max), but I know that 2 people were asked to come in 'any earlier that you can manage' on the day they were meant to be working, and another had to come back in later in the day after they'd already finished. Moral is shot to pieces at the mo due to this kind of thing, and there's issues with some staff being given chance after chance while others are straight onto the disciplinary track for anything being wrong after their shifts shooting moral to bits as well.

1. ask for a contract

2. refuse shifts which don't suit you

3. don't bail out the untrained

4. as the problem is poor management, not shiftwork, look for a new job or apply to become the manager

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

1. ask for a contract

2. refuse shifts which don't suit you

3. don't bail out the untrained

4. as the problem is poor management, not shiftwork, look for a new job or apply to become the manager

Hey again, in response to this I'd love to share some interesting facts that make me grin about the whole situation (Grin and bear it seems to be the only way to get through some shifts)

1. I have mentioned to the previous dep. manager (who had to run the store as manager for approx 1.5 year without training) about not having a contract and they replied 'oh they (the company) don't do contracts any more. The only reason any of us have one is because we came from (name of store previously)'. I wasn't directed towards any employee handbook or any form of written terms.

2. I have had to refuse shifts, if only to get some relief from the shop. It's great when you get a txt from the boss asking if you can cover a shift... that you're already working :p

3. Sadly, ALL the staff are under trained. No exaggeration. The store is patched together so badly, even those who know the most are really just winging it sometimes.

4. Pardon my French when I saw the 'apply to become the manager' part :p New job is looking to be my best bet at this rate, problem is there's so much I like about this one. If it weren't for things going wrong I'd love it.