• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Couldn't live in property but Landlord taking me to court 2 years later help needed!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3033 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

My thoughts:

A Defence would normally be quite brief. The detailed background should go into your witness statement, which comes later. Similarly you do not need to state at this stage what evidence you have. Your evidence will be disclosed later.

In paragraph 3 you seem to think the tenancy agreement is void. I am struggling to follow this - why do you think the tenancy agreement which you signed is void? If you want to go down this road your reasons need to be much clearer.

Paragraph 5 needs to be shortened. You need to be a bit clearer about what you told the agent and when. Personally I'd leave out the stuff about the agent being on holiday etc and them taking a long time to respond, just make it very clear when the agent was told.

On paragraph 7, mitigation of loss does not come from the CPR. It is fundamental common law and the judge will be aware of the principle. Just say 'failed to mitigate her loss' and leave it at that, no further explanation is necessary.

On paragraph 8, I think this should just be a one-liner along the lines of 'The defendant paid a deposit of £300 to the claimant which should be off-set against any award which is made' and possibly 'The defendant claims a penalty of one to three times the deposit due to the landlord's failure to provide the prescribed information.', or something along those lines. Save the detail for your witness statement.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi it says on the form the landlord paid 180 court fee and did it online. date of issue States 19th may 2015.

Curtainsplitter- Citizen states 20th June as your date but I work it out as the 16th June but i maybe wrong, but I would ring MCOL and check to be safe. Also you must send a defence copy to the court and the defendant. Do it recorded delivery so they can't claim loss and keep all copies of correspondance. I would make them a settlement that they can keep the £300 deposit and thats it as thats your base advertising costs. It sounds like from reading other posts the estate agent messed up here but a high part of your claim will rely on the dps findings you get

33 days from date of issue which is 19th May according to OP = 20th June 2015 :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

MCOL says I have until 21st June to reply? Would that work out right I suppose its as there was one bank holiday.

I have counted the days using the 19th June as the first day. They have counted using the 20th June as the first day.

So, you can use either.. just make sure you aren't late in submitting.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi thanks CitizenB for confirming that. Well I have an audio recording of the phone call to MCOL if they try and give me the wrong date. I've started reading the CAG resources and it's some really useful stuff! Especially call recording. I'll have to start being more abrupt and recording people.

I've tried to make the defence less thick and more to the point. Let me know what you think of this please guys and girls:

Statement of Defence

Firstly it is admitted that the defendant signed a tenancy agreement in relation to the property at Flat 13 South Mews, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 6GE in approximately December 2012 as outlined by the claimant.
The sole purpose of the tenancy agreement was to enable the Defendant to attend the University of Derby’s sub campus in Buxton to study a BA Honours in Travel and Tourism Management, which was known to both parties before signing the contract, as this was a student property and the estate agent representing the claimant specializes in student properties for university students in this area.

The defendant paid a deposit of £300.00 through the DPS Scheme and was informed on paying the deposit that this would ‘secure’ his student property with a friend- xxxxx- the co-tenant and the relevant tenancy/guarantor form would be posted to the defendant.

After the defendant had paid the above deposit as per point 2, the defendant received the tenancy in the post from the claimant’s agents it was the incorrect tenancy as it was for ‘residential short term’ properties and not the agreed ‘student’ property by the claimant’s agent and thus contained discrepancies within the contract because of this. The defendant therefore contacted the agent of the claimant at the earliest date possible and informed them of this. The agent of the claimant stated that there had been a filing ‘error’ by a staff member called ‘Abby’ and a new tenancy and guarantor form would be issued as the prior tenancy agreement would be void due to them referring to the incorrect format of property rental type and incorrect billing types within the incorrect tenancy agreement. The defendant notes that this was no fault of his own but the claimant’s agent’s fault. When the correct tenancy was sent out to the defendant it was signed by the defendant and returned, but no guarantor form was signed and returned. Therefore the claimant will be put to strict proof that the guarantor form in question relates to the correct tenancy agreement and is applicable when prior the claimant’s agents had stated the incorrect tenancy and guarantor form were legally void.

Due to circumstances outside the control of the defendant, the relevant course of study for the defendant was unexpectedly cancelled. Thus the defendant was forced to transfer to another University who did the same course, the nearest being in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. The defendant provided the agent of the claimant evidence of this matter and that it was no fault of his own, which was accepted by the claimant’s agent at the time. The fundamental purpose of the contract was legally frustrated and the defendant at his immediate awareness notified the agents of the claimant in the frustration of contract and should not be held liable as he could not do anymore in the matter. In line with the principles set out in Krell v Henry, the Defendant was released from any further obligation in respect of the tenancy and in this case the defendant would also believe he should have been released out of the tenancy and this will be argued.

It is strictly denied that the Claimant's letting agents were not informed until a ‘few’ weeks before the tenancy was due to start. In fact, the letting agents were informed of the frustration of contract on July 1st 2013 (12 weeks before the move in date and official contract start date) by letter delivered by hand and subsequent emails sent to the relevant claimants agent, the defendant has witnesses to this who are willing to testify in court against the claimant, one witness of which is the co-tenant – . Further to this the defendant made numerous attempts to contact the claimant’s agent to try and get acknowledgement of the situation and it was the claimant’s agents negligent in their duty by only responding in mid-August 2013 due to there ‘leave’ and ‘schedule’. The defendant was told on numerous occasions on prior attempts to contact the claimant’s agent/s that only this ‘property’s listed agent’ could deal with any enquiries regarding the property which delayed the matter and this meant the defendant notified the claimant and their agent as soon as possible and it can only be noted that the claimant’s agent notified the claimant at a later date then the original notice issued by the defendant and the defendant relays this is no fault of his own and is the fault of the claimants agent. This left the Claimant's letting agents and the claimant with more than enough time to re-let the property and this will be argued to the strictest of proof using evidence provided by the defendant.

6. Upon the Claimant's letting agents receiving the notice on July 1st 2013, the claimant and the claimant’s agent was under an obligation to mitigate her loss by re-finding another tenant by re-advertising the property in order to let it to another tenant. The Claimant is put to the strictest of proof and evidence as to what steps were taken to mitigate her loss by herself and to re-advertise the property’s vacancy by herself and her agents between July 2013 and the end of the tenancy on June 2014 in the 12 weeks provided and even after this period (the longer period of time). The claimant could have leased the property out even on a shorter-term basis and failed to do this. The claimant also states that she made numerous attempts to contact the defendant, but the claimant and her agent were aware that the defendant was moving property and therefore they would not have the correct address on file, therefore strict question is bought to when the claimant ensured the address in question was the most relevant and that the tracking numbers for the proof of postage that prior correspondence was made from were received by the defendant.

if the claimant cannot provide evidence of this, as per the principles set out in Krell v Henry, the Defendant believes he should be released from any further obligation in respect of the tenancy.

7.The strictest of question will be put to the claimant and her agents as to why they rented the property out to the co-tenant when they were aware a frustration of contract had occurred 2 months before the tenancy start date and they would make a loss when the contract was a ‘2 tenant- tenancy’ for a ‘2 bedroom tenancy property’ and why they did not terminate the contract to both tenants, which would have been the logical thing to do in order to rent out the property to other students and keep 100% profit.

8.The defendant will also provide evidence that properties of these type and similar location/size/vacancies are rented out at a rapid speed on a regular basis by experienced and correctly trained estate agents and thus if the property was advertised correctly it would have been easily re-rentable and no loss would have been made which is fault of the claimant and the claimant’s agents and not the defendant, who authorized the agent to re-advertise the vacancy. The claimant seeks ‘full rent’ as payment of the monies owed, however the tenancy agreement included bills capped to £100 a month per tenant, as there was a co-tenant who did keep to the tenancy in question (Mr Valentine Kagundire), these bills would have been paid by the last tenant and therefore the claimant will be put to the strictest of evidence that the bills were over £100 on every tenancy month in question and that the claimant is not trying to overzealously inflate costs and thus the defendant will again question the claimant to the strictest of proof that she has mitigated her losses as per CPR court guidelines.

9. The DPS Deposit which was paid to Frank Marshalls (the agent of the claimant) and was never returned to the defendant at any point neither was any notice that it would be held and this will be put to strict question against the claimant to the strict point that deposit protection laws were broken and why the claimant has not deducted these costs from her claim total. The defendant gave Frank Marshall authorization to keep this deposit cover any costs relating to advertising the property and the defendant’s frustration of contract. The claimant has not listed anywhere in her claim any mention that the deposit of £300.00 was held by herself the claimant and her agents. On speaking to the DPS in a recorded audio phone call on 01/06/15, the DPS confirm that the claimant’s agent have already made a claim for this deposit money due to ‘rent arrears’ on 2013, therefore her claim amount should include a £300 deduction which it does not, therefore the claimant will be put to the strictest of proof that they have not received any deposit funds back and why they are not including this.

As this deposit was not returned, the strict question will be bought to the claimant as to why they did not ensure their agents were following the correct DPS deposit protection schemes and the claimant as a ‘landlord’ was not also following the government deposit law and also why the defendant has not deducted this fee from her total claim costs.

All costs incurred by the claimant or the ‘landlord’ have been already paid out via the DPS scheme and the defendant does not owe any of the monies asked by the claimant due to the facts provided.

I hereby confirm that the facts and statement given was true to the best of my knowledge.

Signed: Dated:

That's much better. It is still longer and more wordy than normal but it is not too bad.

I personally would delete paragraph 7, not sure it adds much.

I suspect this will be too long to file online, in which case you'll need to file a hard copy and send a copy to the claimant.

Thanks Steam, well I tried to take out how much I could but I feel some points I need to say really. I appreciate your feedback as per point 7 so I may take that out. I'm going to post it on 17th so that i've done it pretty last minute :)

OK, great.

I don't think there is much benefit to doing it last minute. It will be several weeks before you get to a hearing either way and the claimant is going to have plenty of time to read your defence. I guess you do perhaps delay the whole process by a week or two though as the court will only send out a directions questionnaire once it has the defence.

OK, great.

I don't think there is much benefit to doing it last minute. It will be several weeks before you get to a hearing either way and the claimant is going to have plenty of time to read your defence. I guess you do perhaps delay the whole process by a week or two though as the court will only send out a directions questionnaire once it has the defence.

I can only agree with this - the defendant in our case waited until 1am on the cut off date to file his defence; the only effect it had was to cheese us off even more, because it made it obvious he was trying to be clever.

Yeah I agree..if you've nothing to hide then why long it out? Just submit it mate. I think your going to have to pay the advertising costs of the agent+ claimant..but I think 2 years interest + court interest is a bit OTT. Did the claimant send any contact in 2015? i'd be questioning why she's waited a year and a half to take it to court..seems a bit excessive if you ask me. She should have sued you last year..but thats my opinion..

Hi guys in the end..I rang MCOL yesterday and now were given contradicting final date..22nd..so I have posted my defence yesterday 1st class recorded to the courts..and the defendant. I believe this is the right practice? This is the final defence I sent..any opinions appreciated. I wanted to ask..the CPR18 that you gave steam, can the claimant refuse to answer my questions on it?

Statement of Defence

1. Firstly, it is admitted that the defendant signed a tenancy agreement in relation to the property at Flat 13 South Mews, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 6GE, United Kingdom in approximately December 2012 as a student with his friend (co-tenant) for a tenancy to start in September 2013. The defendant is happy to respond to this address. The sole purpose of the tenancy agreement was to enable the defendant to attend the University of Derby’s sub campus in Buxton to study a BA Honours and the property in question was advertised as a student property. The estate agent representing the claimant specialises in student properties for university students in this location.

2. The defendant paid a deposit of £300.00 directly to the claimant’s agent (Frank Marshall’s Estate Agent’s Buxton), which was later, registered with the DPS tenancy scheme. The Deposit was never returned to the defendant and the claimant and her agent has never provided evidence of how this has been used. Strict question therefore will be bought to the claimant on the usage of these funds.

3. The defendant, denies the allegations by the claimant as he did not receive the correct tenancy agreement in December 2012 as the Claimant’s agent stated that there had been a filing ‘error’’ by one of their staff. Further it was the defendant who noticed the error not the claimant’s agent. This resulted in a second tenancy and guarantor form being issued. This was a unilateral mistake of the claimant’s agent.

4. The defendant notes that this was no fault of his own but the claimant’s agent’s fault and legal liability falls to the claimant’s estate agent for this error and not the defendant under ‘unilateral mistake’ law. When the correct tenancy was sent out to the defendant it was signed by the defendant and returned, but no guarantor form was signed and returned by anyone in relation to the new tenancy agreement. Therefore the claimant will be put to strict proof that the guarantor form in question relates to the corrected tenancy agreement and is legally applicable when prior the claimant’s agents had stated the incorrect tenancy and guarantor form were legally void due to their reference to the incorrect rental type and billing specifications/items. This is as per the fundamental legal principles set out in unilateral mistake law, such as Webster V Cecil.

5. The Defendant refers the claimant to the ‘Frustration of Contract’ law in which similar cases have occurred. Due to circumstances outside the control of the defendant, the relevant course of study for the defendant was unexpectedly cancelled. The impact on the defendant was he was forced to withdraw from his university to transfer to another university who did the same course so he could complete his final year. The defendant provided the agent of the claimant evidence of this matter and further that it was no fault of his own, which was accepted by the claimant’s agent in June 2013 prior to the tenancy start.

6. Thus the fundamental purpose of the contract was legally ‘frustrated’ (as per frustration of contract law and paragraph 5) and the defendant at his immediate awareness notified the claimant and their agent of the frustration of contract so is not negligent. Furthermore the contract agreement was for a ‘student’ to fulfil a property for ‘students’ in a shared student property thus the specification of contract could not be kept by the defendant due to factors out of his control. Reference is made to the case of Nicholl and Knight V Ashton, Eldridge & Co to back this. Furthermore the defendant would have had to act illegally and pretend to be a student receiving a student loan at the local university, if he was forced by claimant & agent to continue the tenancy and thus he would have had to act in an illegal manner. Reference is made again to case law relating to the breach of a tenancy agreement in similar case - Fibrosa Spolka V Fairborn, where ‘frustrating a contract, made the contract void’.

7. Moreover, ‘Frustration of Contract’ as identified by the defendant relates to the principles set out in Krell v Henry, where the defendant was released from any further obligation in respect of the tenancy in similar situation and in this case the defendant would also believe he should have been released out of the tenancy and this will be argued to the strictest of element.

8. It is strictly denied that the claimant's letting agents were not informed until a ‘few’ weeks before the tenancy was due to start. In fact, the letting agents were informed of the frustration of contract on 28th June 2013 by telephone and, on 1st July in personal visit to the claimant’s agent/s office where he discussed the matter and delivered by hand a letter of notification. This was a good 2-months prior to the tenancy start date and during the peak period when students are seeking accommodation.

9. Subsequent emails were sent to the relevant claimant’s agent, which the defendant has evidence of and the defendant has witnesses to this who are willing to testify in court against the claimant, one witness of which is the co-tenant – Mr XXXX (As per paragraph 1 outlining the tenancy was with a co-tenant/friend).

10. The defendant is not liable for the claimant’s agents negligent in their duty of care if they only responded in mid-August 2013. The defendant notified the claimant’s agent at the earliest opportunity by verbal notification on the 28th June so they could re-let the room and the claimant’s agent received written notification also. This will be argued to the strictest of proof.

11. Upon the claimant's letting agents receiving the written notice on July 1st 2013, the claimant and the claimant’s agent was under an obligation to find another tenant by re-advertising the property in order to let it to another tenant. The defendant has evidence that the claimant’s agent stated they would advertise the property to other student/s. this will be argued to the strictest of proof upon what attempts had been made and proof will be requested from the claimant as per set out court regulations.

12. The claimant is put to the strictest of proof and evidence as to what steps were taken to mitigate her loss.

13. The claimant is put to the strictest of proof as to what evidence of advertising the property’s vacancy by herself and her agents was done and the methods used in numerous ways to attract tenants between July 2013 and the end of the tenancy on June 2014.

14. The claimant is put to the strictest of proof as to why they could not have leased the property out even on a shorter-term basis (for 1-3 months) and why they have failed to do this and mitigate their loss.

15. The claimant also states that she made ‘numerous’ attempts to contact the defendant, but the claimant and her agent were aware that the defendant was moving property from June (as per prior paragraphs) and transferring university and therefore strict question is bought to when the claimant ensured the address in question was the most relevant and that the tracking numbers for the proof of postage of prior showed correspondence was received by the defendant. Furthermore strict proof is put to as to when the claimant made any attempt to ensure or ask for the correct address from the claimant in the last three years. The defendant also re-iterates this point in that the address the claim has been issued to is that of ’XXX, United Kingdom’ is not his address but that of his mother’s.

16. If the claimant cannot provide evidence which can be verified and checked of the points raised above, as per the principles set out in Krell v Henry, the defendant believes further he should be released from any further obligation in respect of the tenancy and the amount alleged to be owed.

17. The strictest of question will also be put to the claimant and her agents as to why they rented the property out to the co-tenant (Mr Valentine Kagundire) when they were aware a frustration of contract had occurred months before the tenancy start date. The claimant was aware from the notification point that a loss would be made and her agents also were aware, at any point as stated that they would make a loss when the contract was a ‘2 tenant- tenancy’ for a ‘2 bedroom tenancy property’ on a ‘shared tenancy’ basis and why they did not terminate the contract with both parties is a mystery to the defendant.

18. The defendant will also provide evidence that properties of these type and similar location/size/vacancies are rented out at a rapid speed on a regular basis by experienced and correctly trained estate agents and thus if the property was advertised correctly it would have been easily re-rentable and no loss would have been made and if the claimant had advertised the property in numerous ways or hired experienced and motivated agents, this situation would not have happened.

19. Further to point 17, the fault is of the claimant and the claimant’s agents and not the defendant for any losses incurred. The defendant is not liable for poor agent management.

20. The claimant seeks ‘full rent’ as payment of the monies owed, however the tenancy agreement included bills capped to £100 a month per tenant, as there was a co-tenant who did keep to the tenancy in question (xxxxx), these bills would have been paid by Mr Valentine and therefore the claimant will be put to the strictest of evidence that the bills were over £100 on every tenancy month in question and that these bills were not paid by the co-tenant. putting the claimant to the strictest of question on the ‘consequential’ losses she claims to have ‘incurred’.

21. On speaking to the DPS in a recorded audio phone call on 01/06/15, the DPS confirm that the claimant’s agent have already made a claim for the deposit money due to ‘rent arrears’ in 2013, therefore the claimant’s claim amount should include a £300 deduction which it does not, therefore the claimant will be put to the strictest of proof that they have not received any deposit funds back and why they are not including this.

22. As this deposit was not returned, strict question will be bought to the claimant as to why they did not ensure their agents were following the correct DPS deposit protection scheme regulation rules and also to the claimant as a ‘landlord’ as to why both parties did not follow the government deposit scheme procedure in notifying the defendant of a dispute of the deposit funds within ten days.

23. It is noted that the claimant is asking for 2 years of interest plus court interest. The strictest of question and proof will be bought to the claimant, as to when the tenancy in question was a 6 month tenancy which ended in early 2014 as to why the claimant has waited numerous years to file a claim and it is further noted that 2014 and 2015 have no mentions of correspondence and therefore why the claimant has not filed a claim earlier or contacted the defendant and how the claimant can provide strict evidence that this is a ‘mitigated loss’.

24. In respect to the above points, the defendant concludes that all costs incurred by the claimant and her agents have been already paid out via the DPS scheme and the defendant does not owe any of the monies asked by the claimant due to the facts provided.

I hereby confirm that the facts and statement given was true to the best of my knowledge.

Signed: Dated:

This is the CPR i want to post today..any opinions appreciated..aso do i need to post a copy to the court?

Correspondance Address:

x

Claim Number: x

Date: 17TH June 2015 (within court request date)

Between: x

(Claimant) and x(Defendant)

Legal Notice

CPR REGULATION PART 18 - REQUEST FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

To: x

Please answer the following questions:

1. Has the property been used by the Landlord or let to anyone else during the tenancy in question? Please provide evidence.

3: Please provide copies of the 2 tenancy documents and 2 guarantor forms alongside deposit protection scheme proof that you are stating you hold.

4 Please provide evidence of all advertising attempts, newspaper adverts and methods made to re-fill the property for period of tenancy made by Landlord.

5. Please provide evidence of all postage attempts made to the defendant during 2012-2014.

6. Please provide evidence of all property bills for September 2012- 2013 (during tenancy duration.)

7. Please provide evidence of all telephone calls made to the defendant during 2012-2015.

8. Please provide evidence of all your (the claimant’s) agents advertising attempts, advertising adverts and costs made to re-fill the property between 2012-2014.

9. Please provide evidence that you have not received a refund of the DPS deposit (£300.00)

10.Please provide evidence of the attempts made to ensure the address in question was the correct address for the defendant for the last 3 years, including contact requests.

11. Please provide evidence as to why the property could not be leased out a short-term basis.

12. Please provide a breakdown, with proof, you have made the financial loss you stated in your Claim Form for the tenancy duration by providing evidence of mortgage debt or any other for September 2012 to June 2013.

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE THAT YOU ARE REQUIRED TO ANSWER THE ABOVE REQUEST WITHIN 14 DAYS OF SERVICE.

Curtainsplitter, Part 18 is for information and clarification not evidence. Documentary evidence is something different and separate. It is part of disclosure.The reply to a Part 18 request includes a statement of truth and can therefore be useful in legal argument. Someone can be held to what they have said.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys just to update you..so I sent my defence off..and also adjusted the CPR request so it was just for information. I received no response to the CPR or my defence and just a letter saying 'the claimant wishes to proceed'. Can anything be done about the fact the claimant has not responded to the CPR with info?

Yes you can make application to request an order to comply with the CPR 18.

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part18

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry Curtainsplitter, I missed this one. You can certainly chase them by letter, stating that a response is required and that pursuant Part 18 of the CPR you reserve the right to apply to court seeking an order that a response is provided.

In reality is it worth paying the court fee and attending court to get them to answer, for a case of this value? Probably not. If no response is provided I personally would just press on with the court process.

well the woman asking for £4000+ and 2 years of court interest from me for this tenancy. Its a lot of money and if she can't provide even anymore info then i'd be questioning if she's inflated some of her costs and to be honest I have only just finished university so I do not have that money to repay her unless it was monthly i.e. £10 a month until paid off. How would i go about asking the court for a application?

You can apply to court on form N244. There is a fee for this.

A short time before the hearing, both sides will be required to disclose the evidence they intend to rely on at the hearing. At the hearing itself, you will have the opportunity to contest claims which are not adequately supported by evidence. At the hearing, you can draw the judge's attention to your CPR 18 request to further reinforce the point that evidence of certain things has not been provided even though you asked for it.

There is a strategic element to this. Personally I think it is usually better to contest parts of a claim which are not properly supported by evidence at a hearing, rather than pushing too hard for a CPR request and essentially forcing her to get her documents together now to try and plug the holes in her case.

If you did want to apply to court, I think the number of items on your request should be reduced. Part 18 is designed to be used to get clarifications genuinely necessary to understand the allegations being made by the other side - it is not designed to be used to contest whether an allegation is supported by evidence. To get her evidence you have to wait until disclosure.

Hi thanks for the advice. I haven't chased her regarding the CPR but thought to note the act she has ignored it, but I wanted to know if i asked for evidence rather than information will the judge use this against me, or will he be open to the fact I am new to the law and a litigant in person?

Directions forms have come now, but I had a question regarding the witnesses part of the form..if my witnesses give a statement in writing but are ill or sick what would happen? would i not be able to use their statements...or?

• 1 month later...

To update you all directions came to place..had mediation on Monday put my points across about them not finding a replacement, lack of advertising and also the case law you guys mentioned about frustration of contract..the landlord came back and said he didn't reply to the cpr 18 because he didn't know how to and basically he'll offer £2500 on monthly installments as a option.

I also mentioned that when i rang the dps about my £300 deposit they said the estate agent used it towards rent arrears and held it and the landlord says he never got any of that money so as far as he's concerned he hasn't included it. Surely if the landlord used it towards 'rent arrears' some should have been given back to the landlord?

My mum reckons telling the DPS is the best route but am unsure..any advice?

Am thinking to just accept the offer of £2500 but am unhappy about my £300 disappearing into the estate agents pocket..and doing it on monthly payments..as a judge is only going to tell me that i signed a contract am liable..and the estate agent/landlord have no duty to find a replacement as a matter of importance aren't the.

Do you know if you can still accept a mediation offer at a later time? Any help appreciated

Edited by Andyorch
Paragraphs

• 3 months later...

Post moved to correct thread

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread