Informal Warning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a bit of an epic so I apologise in advance.

I am an administrator in a nursing home. A bank member of staff was booked to do a late shift but didn't turn up. The nurse who was on duty (who used to be the manager but stood down) mentioned it to me a few days later that the bank staff member had failed to attend. They didn't call them and ask why, guess they just expected me to deal with it. I spoke to Payroll and then to HR, and was advised to write a letter. I wrote it, sent it via email to HR asking them to read it and asking who it should be sent from. The HR person called me instead of replying by email, dictated the changes that they thought should be made and told me that it should be sent from the acting manager (who used to be the deputy manager and is a very unpleasant person who has issues with nearly everyone, but me especially, and is covering until they recruit a new registered manager). I did as I was told, PP-ed the letter from the acting manager (as he wouldn't be available to sign it personally), mailed it out and left a copy for the acting manager in his tray.

I came in on the Monday and spoke to the acting manager, asking if they had seen the letter. They tell me that the bank staff member had called, was very unhappy and was seeking legal advice. To cut a long story short, a director got involved and it turns out that the acting manager (who does the rota) had put the bank staff member down for a shift that they hadn't asked for and the hadn't told them that they were on shift. The acting manager never once admitted that to me or the ex manager, only to the director when pressed on the matter. The director wrote an apology letter which the staff member refused to accept so I then had to write a statement. I get told that the director is going to issue me a file note (the acting manager was getting one too).

On Friday I get a phone call saying that the director has written to me at home and that this would be the end of the matter. The letter didn't turn up and today I discovered why. When I collected the mail it had been returned as she had sent it to an address I hadn't lived at for six years. The director was in today, they opened the letter to find the person who now lives at my old address had opened it, read it and scrawled a note to them saying that it was addressed incorrectly.

The director let me read the letter which was littered with spelling errors and had the wrong staff member's name on it - the sister of the bank staff member and not the bank staff member themselves. They would not let me keep the letter as they want to rewrite it and resend it to the correct address, but the gist is that it is an informal warning as I did not act in a professional standard and sent a letter in the name of the acting manager when they knew nothing about it. Apparently I have no redress and have to just suck it up, even though I did everything correctly and asked all the right questions of each staff member I turned to in order to ascertain what to do with the information I had.

We are now having a heads of departments meeting next Tuesday to "clarify job roles and channels of communication". The acting manager blames everyone for everything and tells us to keep our noses out of nursing matters - they also make a point of saying that they don't do admin and that I am just a typist! The director hopes that the meeting will make the acting manager aware of how all the roles interact and cross over into other departments and change the acting manager's attitude - but they also said it probably won't do anything.

As you can guess, I am pretty furious and I did tell the director that I thought the who thing was completely unfair (although I didn't lose my temper with them)... Is there anything I can do or do I just have to grin and bear it?

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for the reply

I will have been here six years on the 14th December. I am not in a trade union; I wish I was.

Still waiting to see the rewritten, sent to the right address letter... as, from memory and I only got to read it briefly, there was something in it about not being allowed to have union representation and something else because of it being an informal warning... Not holding my breath as the director has just called and said she is busy!

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter" - Sir Winston Churchill

so if it is an informal warning, and its not in line with any official warning policy, then it isn't actually a warning. Documented no right to be accompanied = it stands for nothing.

*sings "let it go"*

you're essentially goin to be debating hurt feelinsg and it isn't worth it. Working with arses sometimes result in these things.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

so if it is an informal warning, and its not in line with any official warning policy, then it isn't actually a warning. Documented no right to be accompanied = it stands for nothing.

*sings "let it go"*

you're essentially goin to be debating hurt feelinsg and it isn't worth it. Working with arses sometimes result in these things.

Thanks for the advice, and the laugh... 😂

This acting manager has had it in for me since day one, which is all documented in my supervisions (which I gifted to the director as a little light bedtime reading!)... guess it just stuck in my craw that I am connected to anything negative with him... but your post has put a smile on my face so thank you again...

*leaves thread to look for an adult Elsa costume and to practice "Let It Go" in time for Tuesday's meeting*

😉