PIP application

vicky87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my doctor has advised that I apply for this benefit. I currently receive ESA but have yet to get 0 points in my medical and then win my appeal (I assume it is the same now as it was years back)

My problem started about 5 years ago. I was taken to hospital as I had really bad chest pains, had ECG and such and was eventually given a diagnosis of costochondritus. For the next few years I was taking naproxen even though it didn't seem to help. Back then I got an 'episode' maybe once a month and each attack lasted approx 8 hours. It did not affect my life very much as it wasn't very frequent. Also it always seemed to happen at night, so I just pretty much skipped an hour sleep when it happened and writhed around in pain until it ended.

Fast forward to last year, I gave birth to my son in July. Oddly enough I did not get ONE flare up during my pregnancy..which confused both me and my GP as usually conditions worsen during pregnancy. Since having my son though, the pain has been near constant. I get maybe 4-7 hours relief from it per 24 hours, and this can be at any point. As such I have to sleep whenever the pain lessens, which I'm sure you can imagine is affecti9ng my life in a msaaive way. Turns out that it couldn't be costochondritus because its in the wrong place. It is on the right side of my rib cage instead of down my breastbone. New GP was concerned that I had been using naproxen for so long and arranged for me to have a tube down my throat to check it hadn't given me ulcers or anything (an ordeal in itself, as I have a dreadful fear of gagging/vomiting/anything like that). Anyway, it turned out I was fine and so the investigations into what was actually causing the pain began. I have had 3 xrays, no end of blood tests and am due for a scan on my liver as apparently liver problems can show as pain in ribs...

I have been given no end of painkillers, none have worked. Currently I am on gabapentin (doc is ruling out nerve damage, and apparently if its nerves gabapentin will help) and acupan. In the past year I have been taken to A+E 4 times as the pain has been just too much to manage. I get gas and air in ambulance and a shot or two of morphine which tends to work. I was given oramorph for at home at one point but it made me feel sick as a dog and only slightly helped the pain. So yeah, no fun. Obviously doc signed me off as its just impossible to have a normal life, let alone work when I am like this. I am signed off until such a time as they find out whats actually the problem and fix me, or they can find some painkillers that actually work. I have an appointment at the pain clinic next week where my doctor assures me they will not stop experimenting on me until they find a tablet/combo that actually helps me.

As I am expecting to fail my ESA medical despite having countless consultant reports and doctors notes, I am slightly wary of applying for PIP, as I understand it they cannot award you until you have a 'medical' so this would bring my medical around faster I think. I know on appeal I WILL win but its the months and months of having reduced money and the new rules of apparently having to wait for a reconsideration etc before appealing (during which time you get no payments as I have heard) thats really bothering me. Currently I am struggling a lot for cash, as I do try to get out of the house to do shopping, or even take the kids to the park during my pain free hours...however when it comes back, I need to go home immediately..as neither me or my partner drive, this tends to mean taxis, which get expensive.

This thread is basically asking, does it sound like I would actually be entitled to PIP at this time? I don't want to bring on my medical early if I am going to be turned down anyway. I know the medical is inevitable, but I don't want to be going through being even more skint before I need to be, if that makes sense...

Also what questions would I be asked on the phone when applying? Or do you just call for an application pack?

I suggest you have a thorough read of this :- https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/418830/pip-handbook.pdf which gives the criteria for awarding PIP. You need to particularly consider which of the care and mobility criteria might apply and how many points you are likely to score. You don't need to be actually getting any help, just to reasonably need it. You need to score at least 8 points on either the care or mobility criteria to qualify for any award. You wouldn't necessarily have to have a face to face assessment (it's not a medical) to get an award, and in any case it's different to the assessment for ESA though DWP have been known to use the report from an ESA assessment to decide PIP and vice versa.

Just so you know, you generally can't be refused ESA without an assessment so even if you had your PIP assessment first it shouldn't automatically mean the dreaded nil points.

If you do decide to apply for PIP, try to get someone who knows what they are doing to help with filling in the forms as how the forms are completed can make a huge difference.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

It's possible to be entitled to PIP and not ESA. (and vice versa) You receive PIP because you have care and /or mobility needs and you receive ESA because you're unfit to work. There's some criteria that crosses over in both benefits.

To claim PIP, you need help 50% of the time.

Thank you for the info. I need help with pretty much everything, including even walking when I get a bad flare up, however I am perfectly well during the hours the pain subsides. I get no warning or anything for when its due back..it literally just appears, and leaves as soon as it came, its so odd. On an average day I have maybe 16 hours of pain (during which time I can do not much tbh, except for constantly changing positions to attempt to ease it). My condition fluctuates so much but I would say I am in pain and in need of help doing most things for over 50% of the time so I think I will proceed with the application.

No they haven't done that yet. Never even been mentioned actually, is there a chance its that? :S

Edit. Been reading up about gall bladder problems causing pain in ribs. Surprised doc/consultant hasn't mntioned this so far, unless they are going to scan gall bladder at same time as liver or something.

My pain doesn't sound like typical pain from gallstones or anything though as it actually feels like its in my ribs rather than under them..and I don't have stomach pain or anything either. Will definitely mention it though

It's possible - I'd certainly want my gallbladder checked out if I were you, and yes they can scan at the same time as your liver. You wouldn't necessarily get stomach pain - gallbladder/gallstone pain can be tricksy. It was just a thought I had when I read your post, may well not be but worth checking.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop