Another problem with Concentrix / HMRC

NumptyNooNoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Concentrix letter arrived one day after my tax credits review and because of this I can’t finalise my tax credits for 2014/15. Seems to be the common denominator, claiming there may be another adult living here.

I am 55 years old, divorced, with my 20 year old disabled son for whom I stopped claiming child tax credits last August. I hadn’t worked for several years due to being his sole carer, so I retrained, started temping and after a couple of months was offered full-time permanent work. HMRC awarded a nominal amount of working tax credits of £25 pw but I had managed to come off all other benefits . I told HMRC that I would rather not claim as my full year income would take me out of WTC but they said it would be straight forward to adjust the income change. My renewal this month would have been to close my tax credits claim.

My dear friend’s father was in a nursing home with terminal cancer, so he moved out of his rented flat in November to keep an eye on his family home while it was being sold BUT I made the mistake of saying he could use this address for a redirection. He also had the use of one of my rooms for the working week and paid me a share of the rent as I was struggling financially and couldn’t find somewhere cheaper to move into. His father died in January and the house was sold in April. Since April my friend has been flat sharing with me and will shortly be moving into his own place, which he wants to own jointly with me as he has no dependents.

I now have to provide bank statements, credit card and store card statements, utility bills, all of which are in my name as we have no joint accounts or commitments.

As to whether we were living together as a married couple, I feel that I was correct in claiming as a single person. His driving licence and banks have been changed to this address although this was temporary until his father’s affairs were sorted out. We are good companions and he supports me with numerous visits to hospitals for my disabled son and I helped him through his bereavement. Financially it makes sense to move in together and we can get a 10 year joint mortgage which will be cheaper than renting for eternity. However, I don’t know if it would be wise to consider getting married, as one day in the future I may have to depend on state benefits again.

What should I explain to Concentrix?

Should we maintain our singledom?

Any wisdom would be welcome as I feel so ill with worry and wish I hadn’t bothered doing the right thing to get back into work.

Sorry, can you clarify what your relationship is? You say you consider yourself to be single but also mention considering marriage. Are you a couple or just friends/housemates?

If you are not in a relationship, is the accommodation you provide furnished/unfurnished? Is the rent less than £4250 per annum?

We're both single, so I need to be more clear about that in my letter.

I'm old fashioned and as we're going to be buying a house together, I mention marriage as we would both be paying off the mortgage and would be linked financially. If I said that though they would say as I am planning a long-term future, presumably they would say we are in a relationship. Would they then backdate the relationship to when I let him redirect mail in November, or would it be reasonable to argue that from April we decided to be a couple. Socially, we have days out and do food shopping.

About the rent I'm getting, half the rent is 350 plus bills and food. The room is furnished, meals and laundry are provided.

It might just be easier to say that we've been a couple since April when the house was sold and we decided to buy a place together. Seeing as I was closing the tax credits claim anyway then it may be ok.

He was renting his own flat until November but if they backdate tax credits, could they go back to then. In which case, I would be accept paying back tax credits from then just to get them off my back. Would they also apply a penalty?

Am confused and worried.

If you are single and not in a relationship with this person then you are not a couple and shouldnt claim as such.

I'm sorry but I don't think it is clear from what you are saying whether you are in a relationship with this person. Even if you were to get a joint mortgage with someone, you wouldn't consider marriage unless there was some sort of romantic relationship?