How do I prove to HMRC/tax credits that I'm single?

Sallycinn
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello... I am also in a similar situation, I have had a letter saying that another adult is living at the house and I make a single claim, I am just about to send all my stuff back they have requested. Can anyone HELP me on what to put in the letter.

My ex is registered at the address as we have a joint mortgage and bank account, I have let him use the address, the ex lives with his parents but we still are good friends and he visits to see our daughter most days.

I have also told HMRC that he as now moved back in to the spare room and they have cancelled my single claim and said I need to make a joint claim, but cant see why I would need to make a joint claim when not together.

How can I prove that I am single when we still have joint bank and mortgage?

He is a good Dad and person and we are friends for the sake of our daughter and I didn't want to put her through what I went through when my parents split up..

Edited by Sallycinn

For the decision makers to decide if you are living as a couple you will need to see chapter 11. or read the attachments to see what you think of section 3 page 10 onwards.

If you have further questions please post them up thanks

This attachment is correct as of 15/05/2015

Or the other PDF is from the .gov website

This attachment is correct as of 06/14

• Confused 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I had this exact issue when I split from my ex.

We had a joint tenancy but had a messy separation, being joint tenants neither of us could just leave or we would be homeless.

We were in different rooms, not dependant on each other and split the bills.

You must push with hmrc that you are single, not living together as though you are partners, and NOT financially dependent on each other - that's important.

My sister, along with many other people had the same letter in January. Sent all her stuff in and received a letter end of March saying all ok.

She also has a joint mortgage with her ex.

I would ditch the joint bank account to prevent future complications because that will flag up everytime they do checks.

Thanks for all the advise.. They have now stopped my tax credits.. And said to make a joint claim.. Do I still need to send all my bank statements and bills to concentrix.. Just don't know whet to do tbh.. x

If the agency involved has asked for documents then you should provide them. Also, by providing documents voluntarily will show you are trying to do the "right thing" from the start

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.