• Tweets

• Do you think I should send the CCA request now then instead of waiting? I really can do without the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for responding.
    • How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Yet another failed injunction regarding bailiff enforcement.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3159 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If there is a dispute regarding goods that may have been seized by bailiffs and the debtor considers that those goods should not have been taken as they were considered (for one reason or another) to be exempt, then the regulations provide that there is a proper and FREE procedure that should be made under section 85 of the Civil Procedure Rules.

Unfortunately, it would seem that debtors are wrongly making application to the County Court for injunctions and so far, we have yet to see one succesful case. Instead, there are many cases now being reported where debtors are having substantial cost orders made against them (in one case last week a debtor was ordered to pay the local authorities costs of £3,200. Details can be read here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?445251-Goods-on-HP-a-Judge-says-they-can-be-sold(8-Viewing)-nbsp

Today, I have received details of yet another failed injunction but most importantly, the Judgment makes very clear (yet again) that the wrong procedure was used and the claim has instead been transferred to a District Judge at another court pursuant to CPR 85.7(5) for further directions.

Details will follow in a moment....

PS: It should be noted that in this particular case, it would also seem that the wrong party had issued the proceedings.

Have you raised this issue with revelant bodies ? If advice is being offered to make applications for injuctions, which lead to the problems you have explained, then surely this must be flagged with the appropriate people. Are National Debtline and CAB aware that this is happening, so that they can put out a warning about this and reinforce what the correct procedure is ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The Claimant ( an individual) issued an injunction and named two defendants; one being the enforcement company.

Initial hearing on 13th March 2015 granting of the injunction. The case was then listed for a full hearing at Edmonton County Court before District Judge Morley.

Following the hearing, District Judge Morley made the following ruling in his Judgment:

On the court taking the view that the issue of the claim form has effectively circumvented the procedure described in CPR 85.5 but that the issues in dispute have now been clarified and that in the circumstances the matter proceed as if the claim form amounts to an application under CPR 85.5 and the Court on the balance of convenience being not prepared to continue the Injunction granted on the 13th March 2015

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1. That xxx (limited company as owner of the goods) be substituted as the Claimant in place of Mr xxx

2. The claim against 2nd defendant be struck out

3. The Injunction ordered on the 13th March be discharged.

4. The claim be transferred to a District Judge in xxx District Registry pursuant to CPR 85.7(5) for further directions.

5. Costs be reserved to the trial judge.

I posted this around a fortnight ago:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?444443-Bailiff-enforcement......if-a-vehicle-is-considered-to-be-exempt-should-the-debtor-issue-an-injunction&p=4730496&viewfull=1#post4730496

There's little really to add, save for the fact the first stage of the injunction in the case detailed above, predates the judgment about which I was commenting in the link. If lessons have been learned, then we would probably expect to see a few more of these in the next few weeks, but see them peter out as the free procedure is used whenever this remedy is available in the future.

Just seeing whether I can redact personal information from the judgment. If I am able to, I will post up a copy (of the judgment) shortly.

We seem to have come full circle. A couple of years ago it was failed Form 4 Complaints with significant cost orders and we now we have injunctions that are failing. As has always been the case, I will provide evidence in support.

Just seeing whether I can redact personal information from the judgment. If I am able to, I will post up a copy (of the judgment) shortly.

We seem to have come full circle. A couple of years ago it was failed Form 4 Complaints with significant cost orders and we now we have injunctions that are failing. As has always been the case, I will provide evidence in support.

Indeed, there seems to be a common element in both these scenarios, escapes me for the moment.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

On the subject of such claims, the following is from John Kruse:

'In the past, an allegation of third party ownership would have been dealt with by many bailiff companies without any referral to the creditor.
The new procedure demands that the creditor be informed and make the decision.

The role of the bailiff as agent is asserted starkly.
The enforcement agent merely transmits a claim in valid form; it does not assess it
as ultimately, the credit will be taken to the County Court or High Court by the aggrieved party if the claim is rejected'.

On the subject of such claims, the following is from John Kruse:

'In the past, an allegation of third party ownership would have been dealt with by many bailiff companies without any referral to the creditor.
The new procedure demands that the creditor be informed and make the decision.

The role of the bailiff as agent is asserted starkly.
The enforcement agent merely transmits a claim in valid form; it does not assess it
as ultimately, the credit will be taken to the County Court or High Court by the aggrieved party if the claim is rejected'.

Which is fine but of course it is the EA who makes the decision as to whether to take goods under control or not in the first instance.

As I said earlier it seems that HP goods can be taken into control because, at least for now there is the interest in goods issue.(thanks for that)

However as I also said earlier they should not be taken under control because it would not be, " taking control of goods and selling them to recover that sum in accordance with this Schedule and regulations under it", because irrespective of the technicalities they belong to someone else and so do any funds raised on their sale(even if any sale could legally be made).

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Can of worms, but if the goods are third party it is for the owner to make the claim via the informal process laid down initially, there is also the issue of types of finance especially on motor vehicles.

A car bought with a bank loan is available to the bailiff as the purchaser/debtor has full title,

HP is different and indeed the car may be available dependent on how far along in the contract, the value of the car, and whether selling it would clear the HP, fees and a portion of the debt, it could be alleged that debtor breached the contract with the Finance Companyby allowing the bailiff to Take Control of the car, so the Finance Co would have an absolute defence if they allowed a sale.

Under Contract Hire or lease as in personal contracts, Motability etc, the vehicle is exempt as it never becomes the property of the debtor, it goes back at the end of the contract, similar for courier's vans, they usually contract hire as there are tax benefits to hiring rather than purchasing on HP.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Can of worms, but if the goods are third party it is for the owner to make the claim via the informal process laid down initially, there is also the issue of types of finance especially on motor vehicles.

A car bought with a bank loan is available to the bailiff as the purchaser/debtor has full title,

HP is different and indeed the car may be available dependent on how far along in the contract, the value of the car, and whether selling it would clear the HP, fees and a portion of the debt, it could be alleged that debtor breached the contract with the Finance Companyby allowing the bailiff to Take Control of the car, so the Finance Co would have an absolute defence if they allowed a sale.

Under Contract Hire or lease as in personal contracts, Motability etc, the vehicle is exempt as it never becomes the property of the debtor, it goes back at the end of the contract, similar for courier's vans, they usually contract hire as there are tax benefits to hiring rather than purchasing on HP.

Absolutely correct BN

As you say all HP agreements will have clause which requires the lender retain possession of the vehicle, if they do not they can be in default, and the creditor could terminate. If the contract is fairly new and less than one third settled they can do this without the requirement for a court order.

This then could result in the creditor settling the remaining finance and selling the car, if there is enough equity to make it worth their while.

I cannot believe that this interpretation of "goods" can be taken seriously.

In Schedule 12 10 it states An enforcement agent may take control of goods only if they are goods of the debtor.

And even the HCEOA.org.uk confirm that

Are there any goods which the High Court Enforcement Officer cannot take to be sold?

Yes there are. You and your family cannot be deprived of all your goods and particularly those you need to be able to live and work on a daily basis.

Tribunals Courts Enforcement regulation lays down a specific list of goods which are exempt, which briefly includes in addition to the above:

Vehicles and other goods subject to hire purchase or rental agreements;

The problem is that there is now a court ruling that says that the debtor has an interest in HP goods(personally I think this is wrong), there are argument which can be used in subsequent cases to challenge this assertion and this is lower court case so it sets no precedent, however it can be quoted as being persuasive, more importantly EA can site this as giving them the belief that such goods are open to seizure.

The sanctions for breach of schedule 12 procedures are given here

(5)In the proceedings the court may—

(a)order goods to be returned to the debtor;

(b)order the enforcement agent or a related party to pay damages in respect of loss suffered by the debtor as a result of the breach or of anything done under the defective instrument.

(6)A related party is either of the following (if different from the enforcement agent)—

(a)the person on whom the enforcement power is conferred,

(b)the creditor.

(7)Sub-paragraph (5) is without prejudice to any other powers of the court.

(8)Sub-paragraph (5)(b) does not apply where the enforcement agent acted in the reasonable belief—

(a)that he was not breaching a provision of this Schedule, or

(b)(as the case may be) that the instrument was not defective.

Most would consider that such a ruling would excuse the EA for holding a "reasonable belief" that HP goods are open to seizure.

As that interest is beneficial to the debtor conditional on making continued payments on the agreement without default, and retaining control of the goods ultimately that reliance by EA is as firm as a sandcastle when the tide comes in. The debtor has breached their agreement, and the HP Company put in the third party claim. If the EA/Creditor ignores it it is at their peril, as at that point in extremis as lawful owner the HP Co could apply for injunction not that they would, merely that as owner that measure is available to them to prevent the sale of THEIR goods if they were opposed to the siezure fearing a shortfall at sale.

That is my opinion, but others will know much more

That judgment well one of them seems to be a result at a judges pique at the wrong party making the wrong application when there was already adequate remedy within the Regulations. The debtor is not the owner, so has no legal standing to apply for injunction.

There will be a problem when an EA and a creditor, reliant on these judgments, does take and sell, ignores the third party claim, sends the vehicle to auction despite the refusal of permission by Finance Co and the vehicle sells for less than anticipated leaving a shortfall of a grand or so of what the vehicle is worth to the Finance Co, let alone cover the fees and a portion of the debt

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

The sanctions for breach of schedule 12 procedures are given here

(5)In the proceedings the court may—

(a)order goods to be returned to the debtor;

(b)order the enforcement agent or a related party to pay damages in respect of loss suffered by the debtor as a result of the breach or of anything done under the defective instrument.

(6)A related party is either of the following (if different from the enforcement agent)—

(a)the person on whom the enforcement power is conferred,

(b)the creditor.

(7)Sub-paragraph (5) is without prejudice to any other powers of the court.

(8)Sub-paragraph (5)(b) does not apply where the enforcement agent acted in the reasonable belief

(a)that he was not breaching a provision of this Schedule, or

(b)(as the case may be) that the instrument was not defective.

In this particular case, we do not know the reason for the injunction but given the identity of the 2nd defendant (the vehicle removal company) it is safe to say that a vehicle has been removed. I do not believe that the vehicle was subject to hire purchase.

Your above post however is of vital importance.

As you have quite correctly highlighted,that if a debtor seeks legal proceedings for damages or loss suffered as a result of the enforcement agent breaching the Schedule 12 procedure then any award can be rejected if the enforcement agent reasonably believed that he was not breaching the Schedule 12 procedure.

This clause is very well known and is the main reason why any silly suggestions of claims being awarded under the Torts Act are fairy stories (which is why you will never seen any evidence of successful claims).

It is danger when discussing these more complex issues that others elsewhere take hold of the ideas, misinterpret them and concoct yet another misconceived money-spinning "template letter", I see the process has begun already.

In reality the correct procedure for dealing with seizures of vehicles will depend on the individual circumstances, the parameters of which are almost infinitely variable, there is no one size fits all solution here, it is arguable that there never was in any scenario.

In this particular case, we do not know the reason for the injunction but given the identity of the 2nd defendant (the vehicle removal company) it is safe to say that a vehicle has been removed. I do not believe that the vehicle was subject to hire purchase.

As you have quite correctly highlighted,that if a debtor seeks legal proceedings for damages or loss suffered as a result of the enforcement agent breaching the Schedule 12 procedure then any award can be rejected if the enforcement agent reasonably believed that he was not breaching the Schedule 12 procedure.

This clause is very well known and is the main reason why any silly suggestions of claims being awarded under the Torts Act are fairy stories (which is why you will never seen any evidence of successful claims).

There is virtually no chance of success a Reasonable Belief by the EA is sufficient and cast iron as a defence, especially if at the time there was nothing to indicate any exemption from siezure, say a Blue badge displayed.

No BA and we never will because it is complete nonsense, anyone with the slightest knowledge of actions in tort would find the idea laughable.

The regulation and CPR is clear that any third party claim is between the owner of the goods and the creditor, ringing the bailiff and quoting half understood regulation and hurling abuse and threats is a complete waste of breath, although it may prove to impress the uninformed.

Just some points, unfortunately I do not think that anyone who understands the CURRENT position would say that seizing a vehicle on HP is illegal, would that it were.

The finding that the debtor has a beneficial interest in the goods however questionable, renders the act completely "legal" so an template letters aimed at EA using this misconception re going to fail.

Hp goods are not securities, they are owned by the lender and hired to the debtor, they "secure" nothing, it is fine being able to spell but even better not to talk bollocks.

Since yesterday the feelings regarding injunctions seem to have changed yet again, in certain quarters, hardly surprising as they seem unable to maintain an opinion for more than five minutes.

Injunctions are a bad idea and do not work, as we have seen in the case here courts do not award injunctions if an alternative remedy is available.

This is of course not to say that the first stage of the process may not suspend an action whilst the matter is decided, they have to do something for your £350. But when the hearing occurs the action will fail as it did here and in other cases, and then of course there are costs implications which generally run into multiples of the original fine.

• 3 months later...

Seems like most now agree wth the last post of mine on here, odd because of the amount of vitriol that was sent my way when I posted it, another related story here, although not exactly bailiff related it does cover some of the arguments touched on, on this thread regarding McKenzie friends.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/mckenzie-friend-jailed-for-5000-fraud-scheme/5050653.article?utm_source=dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GAZ240815

"A Bedfordshire man who posed as a Mckenzie friend to receive more than £5,000 from clients has been jailed for three years"

"Sentencing Williamson, His Honour Judge Stuart Bridge said: ’Your actions were callous and premeditated. You attracted people who were unable to obtain legal support due to cuts in legal aid. You deliberately sought these people out. Once you had been paid you broke their trust.’"

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/mckenzie-friend-jailed-for-5000-fraud-scheme/5050653.article?utm_source=dispatch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GAZ240815

"A Bedfordshire man who posed as a Mckenzie friend to receive more than £5,000 from clients has been jailed for three years"

"Sentencing Williamson, His Honour Judge Stuart Bridge said: ’Your actions were callous and premeditated. You attracted people who were unable to obtain legal support due to cuts in legal aid. You deliberately sought these people out. Once you had been paid you broke their trust.’"

This thread concerns another failed injunction recommended by a one particular Mc Kenzie. Unfortunately time constraints (dealing with the One Year Review) has meant that I have not had time to post details of yet another injunction that has since failed that was also suggested by the same person. I will try to get the details of that case posted as soon as possible.

Second point (slightly off topic) is that it is hoped that HP goods etc will be addressed under the One Year Review. John Kruse is absolutely correct in that such goods should not be taken, but despite his excellent advice, some Judge's do not agree and this is the reason why it is foolhardy for a debtor to instigate legal proceedings (unless of course he has very deep pockets).

As I have said many times, if a debtor (or third party) considers that a bailiff/enforcement agent has seized goods that they should not have done, there is a very simple, effective and speedy remedy under CPR 85 that should be followed. A copy of the notice outlining the reason for the dispute must be sent to the enforcement company within a maximum period of seven days. The EA then have a strict time period in which to inform the creditor (normally the local authority) that a dispute had been raised. The creditor then has the duty of making a decision as to whether to admit or dispute the 'claim'. If the creditor agrees that the seizure was wrong, the goods are released. This procedure works extremely well and is FREE.