Fedex import charge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

thanks, i actually feel a bit better now, i suppose knowing i have to act in one way or the other is better than the uncertainty. its nice to know that i can have some time. is it worth approaching them and saying i won't have the money until so-and-so a date and would it be okay to work something out?

I don't see why not [approach it] but as with most large corporates it'll probably still go through the usual back office credit control functions anyway so you may end up coming away from it wondering why you bothered.

If you think its going to take you a while to settle then perhaps a few short lines to it advising that it was the first time you'd purchased from overseas and were unaware your consignment would attract VAT and Duty, its invoice leaving you financially embarrassed in the short term and you wish to make it an offer in the interim [whatever's affordable, even its its just a fiver a month]. You never know, it may consider it commercially unattractive to administer the account at that payment rate and credit the balance to get you off its books :!:

You can save the £12 by provding Fedex with the information they need to process the package beforehand so do you know the following.

Sender's EORTHI

flight and destination code as required by HMRC

11 digit tariff code (you can look this up in the book, which will cost you £600 plus updates)

Your pseudoTURN or VAT number

all of this has to be supplied on the HMRC approved form.

If the item comes via RM they charge £20 so £12 isnt so bad and so much easier than doing it yourself unless you want to go into the import business

I don't see why not [approach it] but as with most large corporates it'll probably still go through the usual back office credit control functions anyway so you may end up coming away from it wondering why you bothered.

If you think its going to take you a while to settle then perhaps a few short lines to it advising that it was the first time you'd purchased from overseas and were unaware your consignment would attract VAT and Duty, its invoice leaving you financially embarrassed in the short term and you wish to make it an offer in the interim whatever's affordable, even its its just a fiver a month]. You never know, it may consider it commercially unattractive to administer the account at that payment rate and credit the balance to get you off its books :!:

this is the letter i sent to them the other day (these are both pdfs)

[ATTACH]57716[/ATTACH]

and i received this reply today

[ATTACH]57717[/ATTACH]

3 payments over 3 months and the first by the end of this month otherwise they suggest its a default...although obviously better than one payment, it left me feeling a bit crestfallen as i thought i'd taken the first step in coming off the back-foot and i still can't really afford this..where does this leave me?

as i mentioned i understand that i will pay them, but, and i could be wrong, i get the impression that they are playing their chances a bit, trying the forceful approach.. taking into account what you said about having some time to pay..is this the best i can hope for do you know any advice on how i might be able to negotiate further please?

Something screwy going on with the server, I can view its response but not your correspondence.

If £5.00 is all you can afford then pay at that rate, not sure why it refers to credit terms under a separate agreement as that would usually be for commercial clients and would attract interest on late payment. 3 months to clear £75.00 isn't exactly being too pushy but if you genuinely don't have the funds then send it a cheque for £5.00 advising that whilst you now appreciate it is equally and severally liable for payment to HMR& C you simply do not have the necessary funds and will require a longer period to settle the account. Anything received following that I'd be inclined to file under ignore.

oh thanks feel better about it now, i've been feeling stressed all day by it..

.thats good to hear so i can just keep paying them £5 despite their intention to try to enforce some sort of stricter agreement - because i'm setting out my intention to pay, i haven't ignored it and have acknowledged it but i can ignore any pressure they try to apply subsequently, once i've started paying?

i don't have a chequebook (just a basic account), is there another way to go with that? EDIT: i see at the bottom of their letter are account details for payment...what about if i do a direct bank transfer each month?

...with regard to the correspondence i sent easier just to quote it :) i trust you don't mind, i used a few of your key ideas in there regarding wording :

"Federal Express (Europe)Inc.

Sutherland House

Coventry

14th May 2015

Dear Sirs,

Acct Invoice Ref.

(Please see enclosed copy of invoice)

I have recently received an invoice from yourselves in respect of import duties to be paid on a consignment i received on the 28th of April 2015.

Being inexperienced in receiving goods from overseas, i didn’t realise the consignment would attract VAT and Duty. This invoice has left me financially embarrassed in the short term, coupled to which i am in receipt of ESA benefits, and so wish to make you an offer of payment of £5 Per month in the interim...is this possible please?

Yours Sincerely,"

I suppose you have to ask yourself what it can do if it takes you a little longer to settle the account. It can stamp its feet, it can pass the account to a 3rd party DCA which could also stamp its feet but at the end of the day unless its prepared to sue you for peanuts when you have already made an offer to pay over time it just becomes an exercise in irrelevance for it to keep pressing you.

Your letter was more than clear, concise, polite and to the point.

Yes, if you have its banking details set up a standing order and follow up with a short note to it confirming same.

Not unless you feel the need, perhaps just keep it simple and reply stating that you have set up standing order with reference xxxx to its favour and trust it understands that this amount is all that is currently affordable.

• 3 weeks later...

the standing order is set up, the first payment has come out..i got this letter last week from them in response to my letting them know i'd set up the standing order..

Further to your letter dated 27th May 2015, we are unable to accept your payment proposal therefore we will continue to chase for the full balance of this invoice. Failure to make the full payment will result in late payment fees.

we look forward to the full payment, its cost you £1.64 [i'd sent it recorded delivery so i know they got it okay] to send this letter which you could have put towards your payment.

kind regards,

Jass Jassal [same bloke who responded to my first letter]

i've laid out a payment plan, they accepted the first payment, it hasn't been returned, i've been polite..i could be wrong but i got the impression that this was a kind of we have to send this letter kind of letter..what do you think? what kind of late payment fees could they enforce?..shall i just leave it now; not respond? Edited by Preyin Graham
to add quotes