• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Blemain - Penalty Charges etc - going to Court

Fielder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2360 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The FOS letter says that a breakdown of the charges is included?? Can we see them please

One further point, did you sign and agree at that time the full and final settlement as sent to you by the fos?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get serious with them

write a letter, saying i have good reason to believe that you have added hidden charges and charges that are unfair, to my account i now put you on notice of this ,

I give you 30 days to produce unto me a full breakdown of all charges,penalties, fees and interest that have been added or removed to my account

since the account was first opened, so i can check the legality of the information you provide,

if without good reason you cannot deliver unto me this information in full within 30 days of this letter then no added fees,

charges, and interest will be recognised or concidered owed.

(now thats what i would do but its up to you)

If you do not have the information previously supplied ask the FOS to email all the information they have on your case

it would'nt be a bad idea anyway because they may have hidden something from them.

Just back to the Monarch fees

i read somewhere, that staff were in one weekend deleting all monarch activity from customers files,

so if it was there and now gone and you have paper work to prove this

then they may be in trouble for tampering with evidence (or some other serious matter) so its worth persuing.

Blemain's group of companies along with their chief Henery moser do not have a good record for being fair (fined £1.25 Million for being unfair proves it)

but you have got to look for their mistakes believe me they will have made them but you have got to spot them.

Good Luck!

Thanks Suffering, sounds like you have had dealings with Blemain yourself. Did you reach an agreement with them?

Hello Tor

I have uploaded the statement that came from Blemain, as you can see they have amended some of their charges and these were returned, some charges have been added too!!

As you can see, they have not broken down the charges just shown them as a lump sum.

And as far as I can remember I accepted and signed for the return of £1,541.01 plus some interest that was added.

Thanks,

Fielder

After your comments about Monarch I have just had a look at the letter I had from Monarch when I redeemed the loan.

Surprisingly the amounts charged for a letter are different and it doesn't really bear any relation to the statement I had when I SARed them.

Looks like they have altered the amounts but kept the total the same, sneaky.

I have uploaded the letter so have a look and compare, please

In view of what happened with Monarch,

I would be inclined to start a Formal Complaint to reclaim all of those charges on that Monarch statement

regardless of what you have already accepted

Quote the FCA/FSA findings at length within your letter, and see what they come back with

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a con, a lie call it what you want, Blemain have conned you and many others! Fielder you can't lose! Monarch recoveries was not a liget company hence the address, this was the same address Blemain used to be at, Monarch did not actually employ anyone it was used purely to load up accounts with illegal chargies, it only existed on paper. You need to find out if they also illegally charged you interest on your charges as this was another underhand trick they were doing. They have tried to decieve you by hideing the truth,(this is also illegal) hoping you have lost the paperwork. Let them know you Know about monarch and watch them back down. Get someone to look into this for you you are owed every penny. They not only deceived you but they deceived the FOS, they may be interested in this and re-open your case. This is just one of the reasons why their sister company was fined £1.25 Million. They will not want to see this in a court room,so becareful accepting a out of court settlement they will not give you anymore than you deserve as you have already found out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, me again.

Thanks for that reference to Wp3's thread. I have read the thread through again very carefully.

I have been doing loads of research and think that I have a case for unfair treatment by Blemain during the course of the loan.

When I sent the SAR, they did not send all the documents regarding the loan.

My question is, shall I write again to them and ask for the rest of the documents, including the Underwriting Sheet? And if so, will I need to include another £10, as it was in 2012 when I did apply.

I want the first letter I send to them to be extremely accurate and there is a lot of complaints I want to include.

Just a little unsure of my first move, shall I lay out all my complaints or go softly softly?

Many thanks,

F

sadly I think you need to pay again its been 3yrs.

remember to list those docs you want

but also keep the line in about any other docs too mind.

if they fail

then I think paying twice

gives you more 'clout' to complain up the ladder ..

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's the letter |I| want to send to Blemain, I would really appreciate some comments

Dear Sirs,

ACCOUNT NUMBER:

I had a loan with your company from October 2007 to September 2007. Reference as above.

I believe that the loan was not administered in accordance with the Consumer Credit Act and therefore it was not a lawful contract. Consequently it was an Unfair Relationship. Also, according to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading

The breaches that were committed by Blemain Finance and Monarch Services during the course of the loan and in contrary to the above act are;

Freedom Finance did not explain to me the relationship between them and Blemain Finance

Variable interest rate

Statements were never sent

Charges for letters and telephone calls of £30 and £35.25

Letter sent to me when Blemain Finance tried to re-possess did not give me the full fourteen days

Letters sent to me by Monarch Recoveries

Charges made by Monarch Recoveries

My property was re-possessed even though the payments had been made

Breaking and entering my property

Damage to windows and locks

When I wished to re-mortgage to redeem the loan, it took Blemain, from my letter informing them of my wish for a redemption figure on 16th May 2007 to 2nd October 2007, this resulted in my having to pay another five months of interest. An exceptionally long time for Blemain to give this information.

Blemain have a duty according to the Consumer Credit Act, Section 97 to give information of total debt and how it arrived at the figure, after numerous requests by me on the telephone to xxxx on 12th September. Who spoke to me with derision and contempt. My solicitor, who sent a letter to xxxx on 13th September 2007, which was never acknowledged or responded to.

I am writing to ask you to refund the charges, fees and Monarch Services charges which you charged to my account in respect of returned direct debit fees to the sum of £.

I did not administer the account as I would have liked to and I do not deny that I have been guilty of breaches of the terms and conditions of your contract. Any charges and penalty fees which do not reflect a genuine pre-estimate of the costs incurred by that breach are penalty charges and therefore unenforceable.

I now understand that such fees and penalty fees and the interest on these penalty fees that were added to the running total are unlawful, as I was unaware that these charges were paid in the mistaken belief that I was under a contractual obligation to pay. These charges were over and above the actual cost of a administering a returned direct debit. It is my opinion, and that of the Office of Fair Trading, that these charges and penalty fees are punitive in nature, not a genuine pre-estimate of cost and not intended to reimburse your losses for a breach of contract occurring. Further to the 1999 Consumer Credit Regulations quoted by the Office of Fair Trading, there are numerous cases in law that prove that punitive charges in contracts are unenforceable at English Law. Examples of which are;

Murray v Leisureplay (2004)

Dunlop Tyre Company v New Garage and Motor Co. (1915)

Bridge v Campbell Discount Co. Ltd. (1962)

Further to these cases, I also believe these charges to be a direct breach of the Unfair Contracts Terms Act, 1977, which require that contract terms are reasonable. I do not believe these charges and penalty fees are reasonable as outlined in the aforementioned Act.

In addition, your charges appear to represent an unfair term of contract which is contrary to the Consumer Credit Act 1974. 140A Unfair relationships between creditors and debtors.

1. When these charges were applied to the loan I was mistaken as to a material fact, consequently I am entitled to claim restitution of those monies where the payment would not have been made but for my mistaken understanding.

It is also true that I agreed to your terms and conditions at the time the loan was advanced. As a point of law, however, if those terms and conditions contain elements that are unlawful, then the contract, itself, is not worth the paper it is written on. I expected, as a matter of course, Blemain Finance to conduct its business in a legitimate and legal manner. In my naivety I had trusted Blemain Finance to be familiar with their legal obligation and to act within them and, to quote the Unfair Terms and The Consumer Credit Act “should treat consumers in an open and fair way” “charges should be fair and reflect the true cost of administration charges”. To continually charge disproportionate penalty fees and astronomical legal fees to an account that was clearly in difficulty, seems to me a blatant abuse of Blemain Finance's power and authority.

1. I believe that the charges you have levied of £xxx far exceed any true cost to yourself as a result of my breaches and any genuine pre-estimate you could conceivably reach. If you disagree, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your charges really do reflect your costs. I have included a spreadsheet that has calculated the charges and added compound interest to these charges.

Thus, I am asking that you refund the charges and other fees which have been levied on my account, this now totals £xxx. If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within the time limits set out in your official complaints procedure I will enter a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

Blemain Finance have already acknowledged that some of the charges were unlawful and were refunded to me in 2011, the charges and compalints that I am now pursuing are separate to these.

Let me remind you that the debt I had with has been fully discharged charged at a more than advantageous rate to yourselves, voluntarily and not by means of re-possession. The amount repaid includes your unlawful fees, penalty fees and the interest charged upon them.

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

Yours faithfully,

id cut that down

else it will end up in the round filing cabinet

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fielder contact blemain again and apply the pressure> they like to be the ones in control so control them tell them 40 days is unacceptable as they are holding up your court claim that you are preparing and they are withholding information that you will rely upon tell them they have a further 14 before action will be taken (action can mean anything)

Hi Fielder, as you can imagine they must get loads of complaints, so make sure that they take you serious and put you to the top of the list. Do this by starting your letter "I Mr xxxx xxxxx hereby put you on notice that i believe you / your company have acted fraudulently for financial gain by adding unnecessary fees/charges to my account. I now give you a chance to show clean hands of this matter and save as to costs of my legal team, and future County Court action. P.S. I am aware of the £1.25 million fine, part of your company received, for unfair practices and i have been informed that i am not alone with unfair charges by your company.

This will make them sit up!

As I have repaid the loan I want all the money I paid them returned. Less the amount of the loan.

I have written asking for this. Saying it was an unfair relationship as they did not adhere to the regulations.

Your letter is good. Needs tweaking for my case

You have had your account loaded up with unfair charges / fees and interest added on. this is normal for Blemain.

the fact is they do not want to see this in court because if they lose it would open the floodgates for everyone they have ripped off.

they don't like to give money back

but they have settled out of court many times

getting the claimant to sign a letter agreeing not to inform anyone.

they have got to feel threatened or they will just fob you off.