Who is responsible for water logged garden

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently renting a four bedroom property from Melin homes.

The property is just over three and a half years old, I have been living at the property for around two and a half years.

The house was built directly in front of a rugby field, all that separates my garden from the rugby field is a fence and a huge bank full of overgrown ferns and nettles which apparently is owned by the rugby club.

The back garden gets flooded frequently and despite my numerous complaints, Melin homes has done nothing to rectify the problem.

Melin has told me that " we've had a word with our legal team, and its not our responsibility to maintain a water logged garden"

I've attached some photos, the last photo is from next doors garden on the same day and as you can see, there is no flooding in their property despite their garden being behind the rugby clubs bank.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what my rights are regarding this situation, or am I just stuck with a swamp for a back garden?

Thanks for you help.

I can't imagine that it is anyone other than the landlord who is responsible.

I think you need to start looking to the tenancy agreement very carefully. Also I would start finding out how best to discover the source of the problem.

Surely it must talk about responsibilities in the tenancy agreement?

I can't imagine that it is anyone other than the landlord who is responsible.

I think you need to start looking to the tenancy agreement very carefully. Also I would start finding out how best to discover the source of the problem.

Surely it must talk about responsibilities in the tenancy agreement?

Thank you, time to dig out the tenancy agreement.

I cannot see how it is the LLs resp. The builder prob seeded the lawn on a clay base, or the area may have a high water table (close to a river/pond/spring. Spread some course grit sand and aerate with a garden fork You have lived there for 2.5 years, pres during earlier rainy periods. When were those pics taken? If you were the owner-occupier who would you blame or do what?

Thanks for your reply, I have already tried the sand and garden fork method ( bent my garden fork ).

I went as far as purchasing a fence post auger so I could turn all the soil, and break it up a bit. I literaly cannot get down more than a few inches.

I just dont understand why next doors garden is fine but my garden always floods ( the entire estate is brand new ).

There has to be a problem with the drainage somewhere.

And as for who is to blame, surely it lies with the landlord or the builders.

Its as if they just filled it full of rocks and coated it with a layer of clay.

There are also areas were the grass refuses to grow.

Some pics were taken last year, some were taken last week.

what area do you live in? place name? I know of a lot of new houses being built on land that floods and canals etc nearby, and have commented to people when passing by that we could not play in that area during winter etc as the fields always flooded , yet they have built estates (new)?? just a thought!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Is the flooding due to run-off? If so the rugby club have a responsibility to make sure that their water stays on their land or is drained properly.They may have created a hydraulic gradient by building the bank so that would drain towards your garden. If it is just standing water then the LL doesnt have to bother with anything if they dont feel like it and then you will need to do something yourself. have a look at the level of the ground, you may need to get one of those laser levels from a hardware store (or borrow one if you can) and look to see how level your garden is and its height relative to the surrounding gardens and land.

You may have to dig a big ditch and create a graded filter ( coarse gravel at the bottom, then grit then coarse and finally fine sand) to drain it away if the ground is permeable enough nearby. Some places are just absolute pigs and importing some topsoil and create a new higher level may be the only answer. Your council is obliged to keep environmental maps and surveys so there should be something there that can be of use. A local museum may also have geological maps or surveys of your area and they should tell you what is under the soil.