Months salary paid after leaving my job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3227 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Please help,

I worked for a company for 4 years. We parted company as they wanted to downgrade my position without any reason or reviews taken place.

After i left, in February 2015; I then received my regular salary on following month March. They are now (May) demanding I pay back all the sum within 5 days or face court action.

I have been home all this time and not found a job, nor on benefit. I have used the money to pay for my living.

I don't dispute the over-payment...

What options do I have? Id like to pay back when I get a job on a monthly basis, I don't want a CCJ. please advise.

Thanks.

As this was their mistake, then I think they should be a little flexible. I am not sure how you would go about putting your suggestion forward though. Especially if you have no idea when you will likely be in paid work again.

I can see them countering any argument though in that you should possibly have been aware that the payment was made in error :(

I will flag your query for others on the site team.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Please read up about estoppel.

If you did not realise that there was an overpayment then you will be able to reply on an estoppel.

If you did realise then the best you can do is to negotiate installments with them

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Estoppel is a very specific and rarely successful defence.

If you were paid in full for a month when you hadn't worked, you could not not have known that it was a payment made in error.

As others have said, try and agree a repayment plan with them.

Agreed - there is a high hurdle to overcome in using estoppel as a defence. It is certainly a possibility, but if put before a court you would need to show that you genuinely believed entitlement to the money - for example having queried the payment, being led to believe that it was not an error and then having 'changed position' ie spent the money in good faith.

Agree affordable terms for repayment - they can't get blood out of a stone, so providing that your offer represents no less than you can afford after all priority outgoings are met, any court action would simply be a waste of their time and money.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thank you all for your advise and support; Yes, I will get in touch with them and discuss a payment plan. My concern is about them asking for full payment within 5 days, well 3 days now since the letter. Im sure that was a standard threat, they must be reasonable too an understand that I can't afford to pay the amount which is nearly £2k in one go....

Appreciate everyones input.

Thanks

P

Ignore their timelines. They still have to follow procedure. And even if it does go to court they will have to take into account your financial circumstances

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Finally have an agreement with company to pay monthly from this month end taking up-to 9 months. They have a clause which states that they will review my position every month in order to settle earlier if my financial situation improves. I.E get a job.

Again thx all, for your contribution, Im going to stick with the plan in place.

Regards

P