style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3269 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I've been renting a room in a property for 3 years now and the system that the landlord has put in place is: one person collects the rent and pays him directly. Currently, I am in charge of this. He says I can decide whether I want to rent out one or all of the rooms but the amount of rent for the whole property stays the same regardless. He has also said that I can decide how much rent to charge per room, again rent for the whole property would stay the same whatever I decide. I don't have any written agreement with the landlord, so my first question is, what kind of contract do I have if I have one at all and secondly, am I subletting to the other tenants in the house?

I would also like to know where I stand in terms of trying to evict one of my flatmates. The landlord has said I can give notice to people as I see fit. However, he is very laid back and I can't see him wanting to get involved in anything too official unless he isn't getting the full amount of rent each month. He has said to me that as long as he gets the rent, I can decide how to run the property but it also makes me feel as though, if I need his support to evict someone, he will leave me to it and I just don't know what rights I have in this instance. How much involvement would I need from the landlord, if I wanted one of my flatmates to leave?

I hope someone can help me with this because I don't really know where else to go for accurate advice. Many thanks in advance :)

HI there

It certanly looks form my limited knowledge like the LL has given you verbal permission to sublet and that you are the sole tenant on the tenancy

Question is, have you issued any agreements to the flatmates?

If this were to continue, i recommend you get a full tenancy agreement from your LL with written permission to sublet.

ALSO create a LODGER agreement which means the flat mates become excluded occupiers meaning they have little in the way of rights should you want to evict them.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

I've been renting a room in a property for 3 years now and the system that the landlord has put in place is: one person collects the rent and pays him directly. Currently, I am in charge of this. He says I can decide whether I want to rent out one or all of the rooms but the amount of rent for the whole property stays the same regardless. He has also said that I can decide how much rent to charge per room, again rent for the whole property would stay the same whatever I decide. I don't have any written agreement with the landlord, so my first question is, what kind of contract do I have if I have one at all and secondly, am I subletting to the other tenants in the house?

I would also like to know where I stand in terms of trying to evict one of my flatmates. The landlord has said I can give notice to people as I see fit. However, he is very laid back and I can't see him wanting to get involved in anything too official unless he isn't getting the full amount of rent each month. He has said to me that as long as he gets the rent, I can decide how to run the property but it also makes me feel as though, if I need his support to evict someone, he will leave me to it and I just don't know what rights I have in this instance. How much involvement would I need from the landlord, if I wanted one of my flatmates to leave?

I hope someone can help me with this because I don't really know where else to go for accurate advice. Many thanks in advance :)

Sounds like a right old dodge set-up to me.

Let the Landlord do his own dirty work and Not you !

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Is it currently registered as an HMO or does someone currently rent the house on an AST? (I doubt it from what you say) Do you have a rent book or similar?

Have you been offered a tenancy on these conditions?

There are a lot more questions that need to be asked and answered properly if changes are to be made to the current set up. Better just decline his offer and say that you will only pay your rent.

Is it currently registered as an HMO or does someone currently rent the house on an AST? (I doubt it from what you say) Do you have a rent book or similar?

Have you been offered a tenancy on these conditions?

There are a lot more questions that need to be asked and answered properly if changes are to be made to the current set up. Better just decline his offer and say that you will only pay your rent.

I think it's an HMO but if I remember correctly there was a dispute in regards to this from the council. There are 5 of us over 2 floors and we share the kitchen and the bathroom. We all pay a share of council tax but the bill is in the landlord's name. No one in the house has a contract with the landlord let alone an AST. I don't have a rent book- everyone transfers their rent to me at the end of the month and I transfer the money over to the landlord. I've never been offered a tenancy or anything written.

It's just one particular girl who has been particularly difficult and the landlord said I'm within my rights to offer notice but I don't think she will go quietly, so things have to be done properly and I'd like to know where I stand if I chose to take this step.

purple_rain

Where does the Landlord live and do You have a written tenancy agreement ?

The landlord lives in his own house, not with us and we don't have a written tenancy agreement anymore. He did have one with a girl who was living here previously, but the contract has expired and the girl no longer lives here.

When did the current Ts occupy their rooms in relation to your arrival? Were you involved in selecting/offering any of them a Tenancy?

You may not have a written AST but would have been offered a verbal fixed term. What & when?

Sounds like you have a lazy, disinterested LL.

Do each of the rooms have locks on their doors and you share communal areas? Does LL have keys for the locks to doors if applicable.

It sound like your LL is not only lazy but probably deliberately ignoring the law on several fronts