• Tweets

• Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Electronic Signing - you don't need to use it.

jasta11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3094 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I just put a simple cross and it took 6 attempts before it was accepted, on my final try my adviser said "if it doesn't work this time just forget it" so he clearly had some frustrating experiences with the system already.

My biggest fear of the drop and go system was somebody at some point in the day would go through the forms, any problems with job search evidence in theory we would receive either a phone call / txt / email so it was an anxious wait, does any one know now I am signing on digitally would that also mean payment is released when the pad is signed rather than me having to wait for someone to check the evidence at a later time ?

On normal signing, the adviser checks your jobsearch first then when they're satisfied that you've done all that was required you sign the pad and it automatically puts the payment through, as well as confirming you attended. It saves the adviser having to go to the payment screen and tick the box to release payment - which takes all of 10 seconds so I can't see how the electronic pads are supposed to be any faster, seeing that a lot of people can't get the damn things to recognise their signature.

Not sure if 'drop and go' is done the same way, as you're signing first then having your jobsearch checked at a later time. I'd imagine your money goes through when you sign the pad same as normal signing but if they later find fault with your jobsearch they can stop it. Or maybe with drop and go you're simply signing the pad to say you attended and no money is actually put through until they've checked your jobsearch, then they do it manually - which rather defeats the point of having the pad in the first place!

The JC won't be getting rid of paper signing anyway, even if using the pads becomes mandatory at a later date, as they'll need the paper option if - and when - the electronic system goes down.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of "Drop and Go " before whats that?

Some jobcentres operate this way; you turn up, hand over your jobsearch at the front desk then go without seeing an adviser...then you have to wait and worry to see if they thought you'd done enough and you'd get paid..or if they 'accidently' lose your jobsearch and try and say you didn't drop any off.

Glad they're not doing this at my JC, I prefer to see a clerk, get my evidence checked in person and the money put through while I watch.

Some jobcentres operate this way; you turn up, hand over your jobsearch at the front desk then go without seeing an adviser...then you have to wait and worry to see if they thought you'd done enough and you'd get paid..or if they 'accidently' lose your jobsearch and try and say you didn't drop any off.

Glad they're not doing this at my JC, I prefer to see a clerk, get my evidence checked in person and the money put through while I watch.

I would simply refuse and ask for an appointment they cnt say no

TJR JNR

Also what if like me you only give them access to your ujm while you are at the jcp then when i leave i simply untick the box which lets them view it?

TJR JNR

When candidates present themselves at the Front Desk, waiting to be signed on, you simply need to present your appointment card. Any Job Search Evidence can be presented directly to the Civil Servant interviewing you during signing on.

Also what if like me you only give them access to your ujm while you are at the jcp then when i leave i simply untick the box which lets them view it?

Although, according to the Universal Job Match Toolkit Chapter 3 [28 February 2013], the Job Centre may have been able mandate that a canddiate should create an account, create a profile, upload a CV, they cannot mandate that candidates provide access to their Universal Job Match Account. Additionally, it remains entirely at the discretion of the candidate how they should manage their job search diary and provide their job search evidence.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/146137/response/365038/attach/4/Universal%20Jobmatch%20Toolkit.pdf

Point 95

95.You cannot issue a Jobseeker’s Direction to either require a claimant to create a profile and CV in Universal Jobmatch or to mandate a claimant to give us access to their account – this is their decision not ours.

Point 97

97.We cannot specify to a JSA claimant how they provide us with records of their jobsearch activity and Universal Jobmatch will not change this.

Edited by RebeccaPidgeon
Additional Information

That's a handy FOI response to keep, Rebecca. Looks like the DWP have amended the older version of the UJ toolkit, as in the past they could mandate you to create a profile and have a public CV if they thought it would benefit you.

Looks like they can't even make us do that now - jolly good! :)

Still haven't heard back yet from the ICO regarding customers being misled into giving their biometric data. I sign on this Thursday and it's supposed to be my changeover to electronic signing. All clerks in my JC should now have been told that use of the pads is optional.. God help any clerk who tries to tell me it's mandatory.

Can we have a date for that FOI request. We need to be sure that that is the most recent toolkit and not an older one.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

A word of caution: That response was for a request made back in 2013*. You can be mandated to create a profile and public CV, but you still can't be mandated to allow UJM access.

38. When you have explained the benefits to claimants of creating a profile and public CV in Universal Jobmatch, they can be mandated to create a profile and public CV.

39. However, for legal reasons, you cannot issue a Jobseeker’s Direction to mandate a claimant to create a profile and public CV unless a DWP IAD service is reasonably available to them should they need to use one - for example, because they do not want to accept cookies and therefore need to have access to a device on which cookies have already been accepted.

40. You also cannot issue a Jobseeker’s Direction to mandate a claimant to give us access to their account – this is their decision not ours.

However, this can be challenged by referring to the next paragraph:

41. The Jobseeker’s Direction guidance explains the factors that must be considered before a Jobseeker’s Direction is issued. In particular, a Jobseeker’s Direction mandating claimants to create a profile and public CV in Universal Jobmatch must be reasonable in terms of:

• improving the claimant’s employment prospects;
    and

• the claimant being able to use the service.

*) https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/universal_jobmatch_toolkit_chapt

Latest version (V56 from Feb 2015): https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/universal_jobmatch_toolkit_2#incoming-638772

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Well, after my nice chat with a JC manager last week, I asked to see the 'comments' section of my claim when I signed on yesterday and the manager was as good as his word; I now have a nice little note on my claim saying that I will not be using the electronic signing and will continue to sign via the normal paper-based system. So you see, it can be done; don't let the JC tell you that it's mandatory to use the electronic pads.

Interesting to see the wording he used though - apparently I have 'issues' with electronic signing, making it sound as though I'm hell-bent on their destruction. Far from it - though I do question the reliability and security of the system. The 'issues' I have are with the DWP not informing people they had a choice in the matter.

I still await a response from the ICO. I assumed 14 days reply time but it may be 30 if they class it as more than a simple enquiry.

I was the same, apart from my concerns it is the fact they thrust upon us these protocols without informing us we have a choice, I did state I would rather sign the traditional method and they agreed I could, but on reflection I decided to use the digital system as it seemed to cut down on the time I would have to interact with JCP and probably being the only person in my local office to resist the changes I would inevitably stick out like a sore thumb.

Just received a reply from the ICO. Copy here - important bits in red.

Dear Mr xxxx

Thank you for your email of 28 May 2015. I am sorry for my delay in writing to you. We have had technical difficulties over the last few days after some building work caused a major IT hardware failure.

My understanding is that you are concerned that welfare claimants will not be given adequate information to understand that the electronic signature pad system now being used at jobcentres is optional, or how that data may be used.

The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) is based on eight principles of good information handling. The first data protection principle requires that personal data are processed fairly and lawfully.

In order for processing to be ‘fair’, individuals should be given sufficient information to understand what data is being collected, who is collecting it, the purposes for which it will be used, and who it may be shared with. If individuals are not provided with access to information to understand the processing of their data, then it is unlikely to be ‘fair’.

In order for the processing to be ‘lawful’, at least one ‘condition for processing’ from schedule 2 of the DPA must be met. As the signature information and biometrics do not appear to be a requirement for using jobcentre services, the DWP may be relying on consent as their condition.

If consent is the condition that DWP is relying on to process the data, then that consent should be fully-informed and freely-given. If individuals are being informed that the use of the technology is mandatory, then consent may not be fully-informed and freely-given.

The third data protection principle requires that personal data is relevant, and is not excessive to the purposes for which it is collected. It is unclear at this stage what DWP’s purpose(s) may be in introducing the signature pads and recording biometric data. If it is unnecessary to collect claimant’s biometric data, then DWP may not have complied with the third principle in doing so.

I advise that you write (by letter, email or fax) to DWP directly to raise these matters. If you receive a response that is not satisfactory, or if DWP does not respond within 28 days, you can raise a concern with our office. In order to consider concerns, we will need copies of any correspondence where the concern has been raised and any other supporting information.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like to discuss this matter further please contact me on my direct number 01625 545 210, or alternatively you can contact our Helpline on 0303 123 1113. In addition, more information about the Information Commissioner’s Office and the legislation we oversee is available on our website at http://www.ico.org.uk.

Yours sincerely

xxxx xxxxxx

Case Officer

Information Commissioner’s Office

xxxxxx ext. xxxx

A good reply, but they haven't commented on the problem that the DWP is simply not telling people that use of the pads is optional, so I'll ask them specifically about this. Stay tuned.

Just had a telephone conversation with the ICO officer who replied to my email and he says there could be a good chance that the DWP are infringing data protection principles if they're getting people to use the digital pads without ever telling them it's optional. The main principle is 'fully-informed and freely given' consent...which obviously is not 'fully-informed' if the DWP haven't told people they have the option to refuse.

He was very aware of all the data protection problems that Universal Jobmatch caused; apparently the ICO had a flood of complaints to sort out.

Letter to the Jobcentre Manager next then, giving him 28 days to explain why his office - and every other office, I assume - are not clearly informing customers of their options. The ICO officer also suggested I may want to copy in my MP too.

The main principle is 'fully-informed and freely given' consent...

Letter to the Jobcentre Manager next then, giving him 28 days to explain why his office - and every other office, I assume - are not clearly informing customers of their options.

Certainly worth involving your MP if he/she is keen to be seen supporting local constituents.

It will be interesting to see what kind of response you get from the local office, although I doubt it will change policy at a national level. For the latter, you'd benefit from an MP with an axe to grind with the current incumbents and a backbone to see it through.

Sadly, my local MP fails miserably. He couldn't even be bothered to chase the local council to get repairs done to my property. I think his main interest is in attending social functions and consuming beer. He's just been re-elected too so I imagine he's only too glad to keep a low profile and count himself lucky.

We'll see what the JC manager says.

Signed on yesterday, had my first experience with electronic signing. Now i usually hate signing for things electronically, my signature always comes out horrible on those hand held devices used by delivery firms, but was plesently surprised that the DWP machine captured my signature (ok, so it took 6 attempts for it to understand)...

...but then i had to do it for real, and that's when the fun started!

Due to being self concious about signing, it took 12 attempts for me (sorry, the machine) to get it right and got 76% accuracy, i guess it's partly my fault because my signature is basically a complicated squiggle!

I signed on today first pad froze and after moving on to another pad after the 10th attempt was asked to re-record a new signature which took seven attempts.

My adviser says the record for today was 46 failed attempts.

At one point I was surrounded by 4 member's of staff who were encouraging me on to achieve success as though it were some kind of game show and actually all whooped with joy and patted me on the back when it finally recognised my signature, surreal to say the least but the best day I have ever had at the JCP. the staff actually appeared human.

Just posted this on a F.O.I. request page, the quotes were perhaps from a different request response re-posted on that page in a comment.

"...However we do encourage claimants to sign electronically by highlighting the advantages that it will give them."

"...it significantly reduces the risk of errors occurring."

LOL...5:30am and no money in the bank!. Needless to say, last Monday was the first and last time I sign with that junk. Now I have to forget about sleep and rack up the phone bill for two hours trying to get past their "try phoning later when we're less busy" junk, followed by a slow roast on the bus (another £4/2 hours of my life down the drain) to go get the money and pay it in before a dozen failed PayPal direct debits fry my bank account and have me dodging debt collectors for the next 6 years.

I strongly suggest you all give this fail a miss. "errors"?...not had one in twenty years solid....until now, unless you count the few times my Giro went to a wrong, but similar address...or, signing for weeks on end and not one person is aware that my claim was closed because I was sick one too many times (happened 2 or 3 times!).

EDIT:

WHAT A TWIT!!!:doh:......it's Wednesday not Thursday...no wonder the money isn't there!. Sleep deprivation:sleep:...plays havoc with your memory, i.e. ...what day of the week it is. Roll on midnight....there's only one cider left in the fridge:faint:

Edited by HUSKY!

I signed on today first pad froze and after moving on to another pad after the 10th attempt was asked to re-record a new signature which took seven attempts.

My adviser says the record for today was 46 failed attempts.

So much for saving time and money. Perhaps you should remind them of this next time you are told to use the pads....

....there's only one cider left in the fridge:faint:

You have cider !!! Someone will be round shortly to give you a hand to drink it :eyebrows:

46 attempts to read a signature using 21st century technology costing £7.5 million quid. You've got to laugh, haven't you! No wonder so many dole clerks are taking early retirement.

If the devices can't even read a signature properly God knows how efficiently they're storing the data - it's probably all going onto floppy disks and kept in a cupboard with a £2 Halfords bicycle lock on it.

It seems to me that the long term plan is to privatise JCP services and pass it over to WP providers.

With the introduction of digital services already on trial where we email our activity history rather than attend a JCP office, WP providers taking over the strain of whipping the long term unemployed into shape who already have the same authority as JCP staff under the job title employment officers, there is little left for staff to do other than watch people sign the pad in the massively oversized offices..

A tell tale sign would be if they scrap the the length of time before someone can be mandated to attend the WP and give themselves the power to mandate from day one before they start to negotiate a new contract with WP providers, then in my opinion the writing will be on the wall for JCP offices and staff..

Two weeks ago I went to my local job centre and was given a letter that from last month they would be introducing the electronic signing. However when I went on Monday my advisor said that only new claimants would be using this but to take id when I next go in two weeks time.

Two weeks ago I went to my local job centre and was given a letter that from last month they would be introducing the electronic signing. However when I went on Monday my advisor said that only new claimants would be using this but to take id when I next go in two weeks time.

Are you a new claimant? If not then why is the JC asking you to take in ID? It's because they're still going to try and get you to convert to the electronic system, I bet.

If they do ask you to start using it, remember they cannot make you do it and they know it (you can print out the FOI responses posted earlier in the thread to show them). If you're happy to start using the pads then that's fine as long it's your choice.

• 4 months later...

After refusing to use the electronic signing pad since it was introduced at my JCP ,and being asked numerous times bordering on harassment to sign up to it & knowing like the other people in this thread that's it's not mandatory. my new advisor has taken to using the advice that the JCP will be going paperless and future claims and other business will all be done electronically. which has well has finding hard to beLIEve . stated to me that my benefit could not be payed in future if i refused electronic signing .i asked for a directive to be printed mandating me to use this system but after printing me 4 sheets of paper out (none of which were the directive) and not knowing what to contingency plans were in case this paperless system gets of the ground. i left. if claimants wish you use this system fair enough that's you prerogative. but don't threaten people over a system that is not running or mandatory. any thoughts on this paperless system would be very welcome :wink:

After refusing to use the electronic signing pad since it was introduced at my JCP ,and being asked numerous times bordering on harassment to sign up to it & knowing like the other people in this thread that's it's not mandatory. my new advisor has taken to using the advice that the JCP will be going paperless and future claims and other business will all be done electronically. which has well has finding hard to beLIEve . stated to me that my benefit could not be payed in future if i refused electronic signing .i asked for a directive to be printed mandating me to use this system but after printing me 4 sheets of paper out (none of which were the directive) and not knowing what to contingency plans were in case this paperless system gets of the ground. i left. if claimants wish you use this system fair enough that's you prerogative. but don't threaten people over a system that is not running or mandatory. any thoughts on this paperless system would be very welcome :wink:

Seems to me there are bigger battles to fight for a person on benefits

Why does it matter HOW you sign as long as you get your money?

Can you explain to me why it matters, except to be petty?