Does and SAR request cover internal emails about the subject?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

A very good friend of mine has had to resign from his job at the local council department (planning) due to the extreme stress he was put under. He raised this isuue many times with the department running up to his resignation but they did not offer any help at all.

My question is if he were to send them an SAR, would this cover internal memos/emails about him? If so, please can someone help tailor one to cover this as I only have a standard SAR letter for bank charges era from years ago.

Thank you in advance for any help offered,

Buel10

Yes they do.

Simply ask for all data they have on him in any form on any matter including all correspondence, emails, memos, screen notes and call recordings and call logs.

Thank you for that. Please can I ask is there any way of knowing if they don't include all the data they have, ie - They leave some emails out?

Thank you for that. Please can I ask is there any way of knowing if they don't include all the data they have, ie - They leave some emails out?

I think all you can do is to wait and see what they provide - it might be obvious if data has been omitted (perhaps an email referenced in another email,etc)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you for that. One more question - is it a legal obligation for an employer to provide this data if an SAR is sent?

Also, should my friend send a £10 cheque?

Thank you for that. One more question - is it a legal obligation for an employer to provide this data if an SAR is sent?

Also, should my friend send a £10 cheque?

Indeed, this is a legal request and the company has to comply within 40 calendar days. Send the request via a tracked method so that you know it has been received.

Mark the date it should be provided to you on the calendar.

Yes, you must send the £10.00 either by cheque or postal order - it is a statutory requirement. (if sending a postal order, then do make sure you keep the receipt you will be given - it acts like a cheque stub)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request-**Updated-January-2015**

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Please update your thread when you can :)

BCOBS

Hi, Just to add what has already been supplied by others, have a good read of the guidelines from the Information Commissioner

https://ico.org.uk/media/for-organisations/documents/1065/subject-access-code-of-practice.pdf

This can help if they refuse to supply certain info and also lays down where some exemptions may apply

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I think all you can do is to wait and see what they provide - it might be obvious if data has been omitted (perhaps an email referenced in another email,etc)

This is a very valid point. The employer may well know exactly what is being sought and why, and since the DPA only requires that information held in a 'relevant filing system' must be disclosed, a SAR isn't always the provider of a smoking gun document to be used against them. Think of the 'relevant filing system' being like a filing cabinet. If the information is held in a single file, and this can be located by name or employee number for example, then the entire contents of that file can be disclosed. Similarly for email or computerised records, then providing that a simple search by name or number returns a record, then it can be disclosed.

You should therefore be specific in terms of exactly 'what' you ask for - personnel file information, inter-department memos, emails where the subject or body of the email contains the name XXXX for example.

Another caveat is that information need not be disclosed - or at best can be redacted - where it might also disclose personal data about another person, and that person also needs to give permission for that information to be disclosed.

There is enough there that a savvy employer can find loopholes, but in reading between lines and looking for references to other documents which aren't included you can sometimes get to what you need.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!