Credit Corp chasing Australian debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I am looking for some help/advice please

I returned to the UK approx 18 months after living in Australia for 4 years in NSW.

I had a couple of credit cards still owing when I left.

I received a phone call from Credit Corp this morning chasing $7500 on one of the cards (ANZ credit card).

They were really horrific to me on the phone demanding payment in full by Friday this week.

I told them that I couldn't pay this and they eventually offered to set up a payment plan of £400 per month again which again I said I couldn't afford.

The guy got very angry saying that he needed to secure a payment plan with me today otherwise they would consider handing the debt over to a UK agency.

He finished by saying he would email me my options and needed an answer in 24hrs after I had looked into my financial situation.

Realistically I cannot afford to pay more than £100 per month

after reading some threads on here I wonder what the best course of action can be.

Would they hand this over to a UK firm?

Is this legal if it is an Australian debt?

He also said that if I offered less then £300/month on the payment plan they would need to see my UK bank statements, pay cheques and outgoing etc.

...Are they allowed to ask for this?

Thanks guys for any help you can give me.

Lol why are you giving in to these Numpties?

Youve fallen hook line and sinker for them, at least you havent given them any payment details.

Let them ring all they want. While we dont condone debt avoidance, we also dont agree with how some companies treat people.

If they do hand it over to a DCA in the UK then, pleas let us know. But you need to say "In writing only", and hang up.

LEt them get angry. You have more power then you think you do.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

dca's either here or from aus ARE NOT BAILIFFS

they have no legal powers whatsoever in this instance.

he got annoyed so's you'd be spoofed into paying him.

bottom line is

bugger all they or any UK DCA can ever do.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They do pass to UK Solicitors/debt collectors eventually and they have issued UK court claims. But in one case that was reported on CAG they stopped the court claim at mediation stage. UK courts will look at foreign debts and they can apply UK court judgements, so you should never presume it will not happen.

Best way to deal with this is to ask Credit Corp for the correct legal documentation which confirms that they have been assigned the debt by the original creditors (Banks). Ask them to request the last statement of account from the original creditors, together with a copy of the original credit agreement form with terms and condition. Also request a copy of the default notice issued by the original creditors.

What will protect you to a certain extent is that all Australian rules must be followed by Credit Corp. If necessary make complaints to Aussie regulators about the threatening phone calls you have received from Credit Corp. This will give you more time to think how you want to deal with it.

DO NOT make any payments, until you have had more information and can properly assess the situation. I suspect that if you made payments, quite a lot would get swallowed up by interest and charges. Therefore it would take ages to pay them off.

If you own any UK assets such as a house, then you should be more cautious, as UK Solicitors acting for Credit Corp will check records and this may make them keener to pursue you.

Get advice from Aussie debt advisors where needed.

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/debt-debt-collection

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the advice so far.

I don't have any assets here in the UK, no savings just student loan debt and credit card.

They rang me again this morning demanding I set up a payment plan. I have asked for no more phone calls and for everything to be put in writing.

I just can't afford to pay this at the moment

:madgrin:nor at all

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Hi again

Just an update on my situation and further advice needed please.

I have been ignoring the regular phone calls that credit corp have been making and occasional emails.

However today I received an email from a "manager" at credit corp

advising me that "Credit Corp are currently considering outsourcing your account to Stevensdrake Solicitors in West Sussex for commencement of legal recovery proceedings."

I am now really worried and not sure how best to proceed.

I can afford to pay a small nominal amount each month

but am concerned that this will escalate to some sort of CCJ which I obviously want to avoid at all costs.

Thanking you in advance for any advice

Best option is to advise them of your situation with no admission of liablity.

Just say that they can proceed as they wish and you will defend all actions. That you do not own any UK assets, have no investments, plenty of other debts and limited income to meet outgoings. You will advise anyone they appoint to act for them the same information.

See whether or how they reply. Solicitors acting for foreign creditors are not going to incur costs, when they cannot gain a return. Someone in a similar position had a court claim from Stevensdrake, which they did not proceed with as a defence was offered, plus mediation. Stevensdrake were not interested in getting too involved in dealng with issues, if the debtor could only afford to make small monthly repayments if they had won.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

These fools are in town across the way from me (Crawley!!)

I have dealt with them before and they have very little kick in them. But be weary...

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis