Breakdown firm didn't return wheel lock key

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Yesterday a breakdown firm helped me with a flat tyre (the tyre iron failed, so I couldn't do it myself).

They sorted it out, but unfortunately the driver did not return my wheel lock key,

and I was in a rush so I forgot to ask before I drove off.

Now I'm stuck with the space-saver for now.

The breakdown firm say they've asked the driver,

and that he definitely doesn't have my key.

This happened on the M4, so I'm crossing my fingers that the thing is lying on the hard shoulder where it presumably fell off the wheel nut when I drove away,

but if not I'm going to have to pay to have four wheel lock nuts drilled out, and a replacement set.

Are the breakdown company to blame for not returning my key, or am I to blame for not asking for it back?

It was done through my insurance, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any advice.

If you go to the dealership, they should be able to sort you out with a replacement key for your locking wheel nuts. Alternatively you can try a motor factors who might stock a range and see if one will fit. There aren't that many designs so hopefully you can get a replacement without too much trouble. I think Draper might do a set with most styles in but you don't really want that do you, just the one that fits your wheel nuts.

As to who was to blame; I guess strictly speaking the breakdown man should have ensured the locking wheel tool was carefully put back for you but its your word against his if they won't admit they didn't hand it back so I guess in that case it is your loss.

Unfortunately they're those McGard ones with the patterned head, so almost certainly I won't be able to get a replacement key! I guess I will have to get a removal tool and a replacement set then.

do you know the key number?

if you do then you can get a replacement

http://shop.mcgard.de/customer-key/

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

darn!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for that, didn't expect a video on something so specific! Definitely makes them look like a waste of time.

Not sure why you would think they are a waste of time. That took a few minutes and a lot of noise. If someone wanted to steal all 4 wheels, then the risk of being caught would be high.

Most security devices are there to delay and deter.

Thanks for that, didn't expect a video on something so specific! Definitely makes them look like a waste of time.

These often will not fit in the hole in the alloy wheel if the bolt hole is very deep. Also whilst he suggests they will work without an impact wrench good luck with that.

Best solution I found was to go somewhere with a Dynomec type locking bolt remover as theses remove the bolt everytime with a garantee of no damage to the alloy wheel.

I have to disagree slightly with AngryCow. I have a Dynomec locking wheel nut removal kit, and while Dynomec say that it's 100% effective, in reality it's not - certainly at the roadside anyway. If the locking nut has been over tightened, you will not remove it. In the videos I've seen, Dynomec use a hydraulic ram between a wall and the lock nut tool to stop it slipping off. You don't have that luxury at the roadside. It is a great piece of kit though, and works well when the nuts are not over tightened. Not recommended for use early in the morning / late at night outside someone's house !