Dealer replaced radio now nothing works

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a 5 year old car on Friday- which should have had on board Sat Nav.

Dealer said Sat Nav was broken, so replaced the radio with franchise CD player.

However, on collecting car- now find that although the radio/CD works,

there is no Bluetooth hands free, no clock, no steering wheel controls and no code supplied for replacement (bog standard cheap!) radio.

The advert stated all of the above but the replacement unit is obviously incompatible with the standard spec radio which gives all the other functions.

Taking car back tomorrow, but any advice on how to play this would be appreciated

Hi and welcome to CAG.

The dealer has fitted an aftermarket radio (cheapo) so none of the other functions will work. Ideally, you want a radio that was fitted to the cars at manufacture.

If none are available, the dealer should be able to get a patch lead that fits between the radio and the steering controls which will get you the functions back.

Poor practice from the dealer I must say.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Is what I thought. Although he said about the Sat Nav, he said there were none available - which isn't strictly true as I found 3 online for around £300 (it's funny how the original ad had it as a spec, but on the day I went to test drive he said it was broken so he'd had to replace it) tbh- I didn't look too closely at the specs that day, more the engine & road worthiness. Gadgets are usually something to play with afterwards! So, I was expecting a Bluetooth Hands Free radio, controls & a functioning clock- even though I'd agreed that Sat Nav wasn't essential. It's the clock that annoys me- surely he must know that it's linked to the radio/nav system? I'm hoping he'll sort it out amicably as I really like the car, but if not I'll have to consider other means. :-)

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Poor practice from the dealer I must say.

OMG is what I say. Poor advice from the site team again. Please do not post if you don't know.

The head unit has to match the wiring applicable to the car and will most probably require a re configure of a control unit to recognise it. You cannot just stuff a unit into a car nowadays. Advice should be to ask for same said unit to be repaired or replaced with another unit of similar specification to that applicable to the car and re -programmed as such.

• Sad 1

Thanks heliosuk... Will say as much tomorrow when I turn up first thing. If I pay £5K for a car, I at least expect the manufacturers spec to work! Hopefully I'll get it replaced- if not, I may just ask for a refund so I can buy the same model with all the spec somewhere else :-)

OMG is what I say. Poor advice from the site team again. Please do not post if you don't know.

The head unit has to match the wiring applicable to the car and will most probably require a re configure of a control unit to recognise it. You cannot just stuff a unit into a car nowadays. Advice should be to ask for same said unit to be repaired or replaced with another unit of similar specification to that applicable to the car and re -programmed as such.

I have a Peugeot 307 and I had to replace the radio. I used a compatible radio but that still needed coding to the car. If I used an aftermarket model, no coding would be required however, the display and the steering wheel controls would not work. There are leads available so that the aforementioned functions would work. the majority (if not all) radios now come with ISO connections meaning they are interchangeable between vehicles.

I can buy a Kenwood or LG CD/radio system with a patch lead and all my original functions would still work which I am seriously thinking about as the factory fitted systems are c**p

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE