• Tweets

• What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
    • This is simply a scam site.  It's been shown to be a scam in the national press and on national TV. Please fill in the the forum sticky and upload the invoice you've received. In fact what you have is an invoice, not a fine, a private company doesn't have the power to issue fines.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Goods on HP - a Judge says they can be sold

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The agreement was signed in 2014. The car is a 2011

That is of no consequence the agreement not the car is moot, UB i think as you do BMW Finance will be making loud noises to reclaim their property, however they would be wise to instruct their lawyers to look at that judgment to see if the judge has acted ultra vires in his opinions by diminishing BMW's right over their property, and potentially put them in breach with OP.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Guess my contact the BMWFS is crucial.

It is it is up to them as the owners to challenge, using the correct route under TCGA including interpleader if the EA and creditor are bolshie, so that a judge can look at the whole situation including their claim to ownership, and the other judges opinion that the vehicle is available to take and sell as your beneficial interest and use trumps their rights as owner.

I feel the £7K balloon is a clincher, you would have no equity at the end of the agreement unless you paid the balloon, so the vehicle would revert to BMW Finance in that case, if it was sold, they would not end up with £7K, probably £2k would be max price if bailiff sold it at auction.

Edited by brassnecked
correct typos

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

TBH I think using BMW to pursue this will save you the money in the end, see what they say tomorrow and if possible please update the thread

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

TBH I think using BMW to pursue this will save you the money in the end, see what they say tomorrow and if possible please update the thread

agree MM

FYI. I Have spoken to BMWFS and they have made it clear that should a bailiff seize the goods, they will ask for them back straight way and would not allow EA to sell the vehicle.

I am waiting to hear from them what they want to do further, but in the meantime I am making arrangements to pay the PCNs and remove this current problem.

FYI. I Have spoken to BMWFS and they have made it clear that should a bailiff seize the goods, they will ask for them back straight way and would not allow EA to sell the vehicle.

I am waiting to hear from them what they want to do further, but in the meantime I am making arrangements to pay the PCNs and remove this current problem.

Asking for it back won't do they will have to make a Third Party Claim, using the methods laid down in TCGA or the bailiff will in all probability sell it effectively legally stealing it

I think they know how to claim it back of the bailiff. Their exact words were, that they would "make instant contact to have their goods returned."

I presume they have their methods in place to do so.

I think they know how to claim it back of the bailiff. Their exact words were, that they would "make instant contact to have their goods returned."

I presume they have their methods in place to do so.

They should do but they should also instruct their lawyers to examine that damned judgement that says the bailiff can have their car due to your interest in it.

Asking for it back won't do they will have to make a Third Party Claim, using the methods laid down in TCGA or the bailiff will in all probability sell it effectively legally stealing it

Didn't another bailiff try that once with a VW camper van?... That didn't end too well for the bailiff company as I recall tongue.png

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Didn't another bailiff try that once with a VW camper van?... That didn't end too well for the bailiff company as I recall tongue.png

That was Jacobs, they took a VW camper from a debtor's house in Wrexham where the owner had left it with the debtor for restoration work, Bailiff seized it, debtor failed to inform them it was not his, it was taken and siold, owner went to Jacobs who tries to say tough we sold it. They eventually had to pay out to get it back, and apologise.

The whole saga was on Volkszone here

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/archive/index.php?t-646595.html

However the situation is different under the new Regs, and BMW Finance will have to look at this new judgment with their lawyers to see it it trumps contract law, and indeed allows third party property to be sold out of hand due to a mere interest in the goods. Incidentally due to the Balloon payment to secure ownership.

It would be highly unethical and dangerous to take and sell the car, as at auction it would be unlikely to fetch enough to satisfy a third or half the balloon let alone fees and a portion of the debt. This could rebound on the creditor and EA if they decided to sell, let alone the EA causing breach of BMWs contract with the debtor (rendering them liable to refund all payments to the debtor*) that might allow BMW finance to sue the EA for losses if they followed the correct procedure under TCGA but the EA relied on the judgment, the car fetched peanuts and there was a £5K or so shortfall at auction compared to the balloon.

*The fact the EA and creditor sold the car without BMW Finances permission opens a can of worms, they could avoid refunding the debtor in all likelihood as the breach was caused by the EA, they would then have the option to report the vehicle stolen, police would likely cry sorry CIVIL, They could have the judgment allowing the debtor's interest to trump their ownership, looked at if the vehicle is sold, and another judge finds in their favour then the EA and Creditor would be on very shaky ground, as far as BMW finance is concerned if not the debtor.

Either way we are on very dangerous ground with implications affecting all HP agreements on cars furniture and anything else bough by payment on the drip.

I would like to know what John Kruse would make of this conundrum.

I really wish I had the funds to appeal the ruling.

The hire purchase agreement is clearly hiring the goods with an optional final payment if you with to purchase the goods. Else you return them.

I really wish I had the funds to appeal the ruling.

The hire purchase agreement is clearly hiring the goods with an optional final payment if you with to purchase the goods. Else you return them.

The judge was clearly wrong headed,and was making it up as he went along ignoring all the other laws and precedents of Contract Law, and Consumer Law he was overriding, but it is up to BMW finance to challenge irrespective of you being able to afford to challenge, after all the car is their property, and it is they who must make any third party claims to the EA; they will have to look very closely at the law of contract as any sale by the EA potentially breaches their contract with you, and they won't want that scenario to happen.

You took advice wich rebounded but all is not lost, it is up to the cars owners to challenge now. Just ensure you make BMW Finance aware that you went out on a limb to protect their goods, albeit with bad advice.

I have emailed JK as there is the case of Ori and now unfortunately another hire purchase case with Black Horse Finance.

Thanks for the heads up BA, I feel this loose cannon of a judge is going to mess up more than TCGA, they are going to screw up Contract Law, in their attempt to usurp the rights of the lawful owners. If the EA takes and sells the car they will not fetch enough to pay anything but the auction fees and part of ther balloon in ori's case. This can of worms needs closing ASAP, as there is potential for breach not of the finance companies making, but which would possibly render the payments made by the debtor repayable by the FC due to a breach caused by the EA taking and selling a third party car relying on these judgememnts allowing a mere interest and use to override the rights of the lawful owner.

I am very concerned for the other implications regarding Brighthouse and Logbook loans that could spring from this. I have applied my own interpretation and possible legal reasoning in this and previous posts based on some research into Contract caselaw and implications.hope John Kruse looks at this as a matter of urgency.

I think the situation is actually worse than people realise.

This sets us right back to bailiffs acting with complete impunity.

Goods that you are paying to use and don't own will be held as randsom or worse sold leaving the debtor even more in debt. The complicated legal process afterwards will make it impossible for regular people to do anything about it.

I think the situation is actually worse than people realise.

This sets us right back to bailiffs acting with complete impunity.

Goods that you are paying to use and don't own will be held as randsom or worse sold leaving the debtor even more in debt. The complicated legal process afterwards will make it impossible for regular people to do anything about it.

Actually if they take and sell third party goods which are obviously not the property of the debtor it amounts to legalised theft, your judge is a prize muppet as they have ignored other aspects of law to make their judgment that puts third party goods in harms way; so it is as bad as you assume ori. Who advised you to go the injunction route, was it another advice forum?

Don't worry this will be sorted BA has asked John Kruse the undisputed expert in bailiff law for an opinion, so let us wait and see what JK says before any further conjecture. As to your situation it is up to the Finance Company to challenge the EA now.

I don't quite see what Mr Kruze can do.

Situation is a mess.

John Kruse is the UK premier authority on bailiff law, so his opinion is most persuasive, whatever the muppet judge decided in your case.

It will be interesting to hear his opinion and advice on what to do next.

From your point of view, BMW Finance have to claim their property and challenge the muppet judge.

I'm sure John Kruse will give a definitive opinion once he has looked at the facts..

A note to all especially Ori...

Wouldn't it be nice if you had the same support as this story

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/chip-shop-owner-raises-6000-in-24-hours-to-take-parking-fine-appeal-to-supreme-court-10221661.html

I think that because the case involves everyone that ends up like this, losing goods on HP and so on, If the public was to donate as they did for the main story that would show the EA's that Joe public can and does have the ability to take you on in Court. Even if it sets a precedent as well, what a show of solidarity this would be...

JUST A THOUGHT HERE

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Crowd funding may be doable.

BUT

You need your case as far in the public eye as possible b4 launching the appeal.

Highlight your case and also highlight how the ruling *may* impact thousand of others in different areas.

Lay out the stall on why this must be challenged.

Is there a time limit an appeal can be brought by? watch out for deadlines on the procedures!!!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.