style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

War and piece - if you can't be bothered to read see the last two paragraphs. :oops:

In June 2015 I bought a brand new Seat Ibiza from a Seat Dealer on PCP Finance (Dealer supplied Finance through VWFS). The main reason - I've always had older cars but I was fed up of the maintenance requirements and the time I had to take out for preventative repairs that older cars require. A new car was going to cost me more money, short term and long term; but the privilege of a new, reliable and care free vehicle outweighed any financial impact. This was clearly outlined to the salesman.

Very early on in ownership I started experiencing issues with the car, please find a rough timeline below:

• 600 miles - Developed a light knocking sound
  • 811 miles - x2 new front droplinks fitted under warranty.
  • 1200 miles - Car started knocking again and suspension became very vocal.
  • 1254 miles - x2 new steering arms fitted under warranty.
  • On the drive home from having the steering arms replaced, The car felt 'off'. The steering wasn't as precise and seemed to tram line depending on the road surface and condition, the knocking had not been fixed. I made a phone call to the dealers expressing my concerns where I was advised to keep driving as the new steering arms will loosen up.
  • 1600 miles - The symptoms were still the same and knocking remained. I rebooked the car in and asked for an inspection and alignment check.
  • 1949 miles - Car was returned to the dealer and A Seat Master Tech test drove/inspected and found no issues, I was assured tracking had been fixed when the steering arms were replaced and had been double checked this time. Car only had a 1.6 mile test drive!
  • 1983 miles - Car went to a local independent, I explained my issues and requested an inspection/second opinion only. Within 5 minutes on a Hunter alignment machine it was noted the front wheels were toe out. The car was not rectified (for the avoidance of doubt the car was untouched mechanically) and I have a print out as evidence of the issue. I was also advised that the suspension top mounts should be checked and is a known TPI on Seat Ibiza's.
  • A detailed complaint was sent to the Dealer Complaint Manager via e-mail; stating I am ready to reject the car if they can't fix it.
  • I was called by the service team asking to bring the car back in
  • 2154 miles - The car was returned to the dealer where I was informed the Dealer does not have tracking equipment so the car was sent to an independent for tracking to be rectified. The car came back with a print out and the rear of the car was out of spec and was left out of spec. No other work was done by the dealer
  • Although the cars steering feels better, the car still overreacts to road surface and has very vocal suspension.
  • A further complaint was put into the Dealer via a reply to a customer satisfaction generic e-mail - I was advised the dealer principle would be in touch
  • No response from the Dealer so I chased my complaint again
  • I spoke to the Dealer Principle via phone call where I advised I have lost confidence in the car, in the dealer being able to rectify the issues and that I want to reject the car. We agreed the best option for all parties involved was to negotiate an amicable solution and get myself out of my current car and into an equivalent replacement - We discussed an equivalent spec Leon FR due to my lost faith in the Seat Ibiza. The Dealer Principle handed over to The Sales Manager and advised I'll receive a phone call with options.
  • I received a phone call from Sales Manager stating he needed to get my Settlement Figure from VWFS before we can continue negotiations and to expect a phone call the following day.
  • I called VWFS myself and obtained a settlement figure of £12,247.79
  • I failed to receive a phone call the followed day, so I chased
  • The Sales Manager called me the next day and advised he values my car at £9,500 and as a result there is too much negative equity to begin negotiations and there was nothing more the Dealer can do. I advised I'll have to take this further with Seat UK and the Finance Company.
  • Put in a complaint to VWFS and Seat HQ
  • Phone then rang off the hook from the Dealer apologising and offered me deal where they took my current car, settled the finance then started a new agreement on a Leon FR. They planned on using my original £2,000 deposit on the Leon, however the Leon is an unsold but brand new MY15 model (current is MY16) Leon FR - subtle tech changes.
  • I asked for 24 hours to think and was advised sales manager was off the following day but he would hand over to business manager
  • Following day I accept the offer only to be told by the business manager I now need to put in another £2,000 deposit!

Long story short - Brand new Seat on PCP finance, started with steering and suspension issues from 6 weeks / 600 miles. Dealers had the car back 4 times and the issue is still apparent. I'm negotiating with the dealer to get me out of this car and into another, but the offer the dealer has given me works out £2,112.81 more expensive, over a longer term for an older MY spec car than if I were to get my £2,000 Deposit back and go into a competitor dealer with a new order.

I'd accept the deal without the extra £2,000 deposit and compromise by having the older MY car. But at this stage I feel I just want out. I want to hand the car back, cancel the finance and get my £2,000 deposit back to go elsewhere - I'm not interested in compensation or costs to date, just a clean slate. Help! What do I do and where do I go from here?

Edited by P3rks

What type of finance is it, a car loan or hire purchase ?

How much did you originally pay for the car ?

PCP Finance, through VWFS.

Off the top of my head I can't fully confirm - I think it was Around £17,000 otr - Minus my £2,000 deposit and dealer contribution which I think was around £1,750.

the only resolution you should get is a total like for like replacement or total cancellation of the contract and refund of your £2000 (you may be able to push for interest on this also).

you've given the dealer more than 3 times to rectify the problem/s and they have not done so and thats more than enough to cancel the contract

you can also write in and complain to finance company in detail just like you did here and cancel threaten to cancel the contract

in all cases state that you have lost faith in the dealer and their ability to rectify the faults, these are not fair ware and tear and should not be happening on a new car

• 4 months later...

Sent my 65 Plate car back to the dealer for some warranty work (dealer fitted spoiler was painted poorly first time around). 3 weeks later I collect the car, I gave it a quick inspection (on a tight dealer forecourt) and it still has runs but better than before - just wanted my car back so settled for it.

I drive it straight home, took another good look around the car and found this:

25567844746_e3503dcea0_z.jpgDoor Damage (2) by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

25567852096_a1ec77314d_z.jpgDoor Damage (5) by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

25593952625_b298bef2ba_z.jpgDoor Damage (4) by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

I immediately called the dealer, Showroom manager answered and I explained what I found, I then took the car straight back. Long story short the dealer is not accepting liability and implied it was either there before or I had just done it within the 30 mins of collecting the car. He said he'll meet me half way on the cost.

He's getting a quote and getting back to me, I said 24 hours. I've had a run in with the dealer before and in hindsight should have settled for the spoiler first time around - I should have never trusted them with the car, but there you go.

Knowing the dealer they WILL play very hard. So I have to be all in from the word go, being nice and amicable will get me nowhere.

Thing is, I do not trust them 1) to repair this properly. 2) with my car, ever again.

What do I do? I'd like to get it repaired elsewhere (another dealer would be nice) and for them to pay for it. If this isn't achievable I'll cut my losses and pay myself - But then I want to cause as much grief as possible. I'm fed up to my teeth with them.

Sorry chaps, I thought I put an update up, obviously not!

I ended up (with the help of a solicitor) handing the car back, ending the finance and starting a new finance on a Leon FR - A much better car.. We all ended up paying £500 each for the lost £2,000 deposit to put on the Leon. I cut my losses and moved on. Next time I wouldn't mess around and hand the car back from the word go.

The problem is the burden of proof. You say potatoe they say potato. You will struggle with getting them to pay for AN Other to re-paint it. Take it back and insist that they get their bodyshop to do it properly.

The problem is the burden of proof. You say potatoe they say potato. You will struggle with getting them to pay for AN Other to re-paint it. Take it back and insist that they get their bodyshop to do it properly.

The second I saw it I knew It'd be he said she said.

It's my own fault, I should have insisted on a check prior to dropping off and I should have checked it better when collecting.

Threads merged ...please keep to one thread per issue.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Threads merged ...please keep to one thread per issue.

Regards

Andy

It's a different car and a different issue, unrelated and almost a year apart.. :|

It's a different car and a different issue, unrelated and almost a year apart.. :|

Threads demerged.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks!

So I've not heard back from the supplying dealer (and I doubt I will).

Yesterday I went around lots of bodyshops and got some quotes:

Independent 1 - £180

Independent 2 - £360

Main Dealer Seat - £637

Main Dealer VW - £297

I don't trust the 1st quote, seems too cheap and the chap didn't seem too confidence inspiring. The second independent I'd be happy with as the chap talked the talk, but I would lose my 12 years Seat bodywork warranty. Seat Dealer is retail price and the VW is cheap because one of my old friends works there so this is mates rate/cost price.

Upsettingly, the other Seat dealer I visited was shocked, he said anything like this is a no questions asked repair - Upper Management does not want complaints like this, if there is any doubt they could have caused the damage, they fix it; no question. I bought from the wrong dealer.

I think in this instance I need to take the car to a dealer. For warranty and the fact I'm trying to claim back from another dealer, it just makes sense to keep it all with the Dealer peers.

Also, the more I look at the spoiler 2nd attempt, the more I realise how bad the colour match is.. I'm so disappointed.

25610657656_29d64ed931_c.jpgSpoiler, 2nd attempt. Runs and worse colour match. by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

25341197020_ce68c1867e_c.jpgSpoiler, 2nd attempt. Runs and worse colour match. by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

The other dealers said they won't touch this at all, they'd bin it and start again - Too much liability and to go wrong when rectifying someone elses work. It's only a couple of runs and a off colour match, but in all honesty this is what I'd expect from a back street dodgy bodyshop, not mainstream dealer. It was £400 for the spoiler and paint (£500 retail if I went elsewhere).

So chaps, where does this put me? I'm going to send an e-mail copying in the sales manager, dealer principle and complaints handler giving them 7 days then the cars going in elsewhere and I'll forward the costs to them. Does this sound acceptable?

If they don't respond, you should get what you have been told on paper so if you are forced to take it elsewhere and you pay for it, you will have the evidence to then issue a claim for reimbursement of the what you have to pay out to get it done properly should they also refuse to reimburse you the cost.

It is much easier to make a claim for money.

This is the right thing to do as long as you give them ample warning of what you are intending so it gives them a further chance to give in and call the car back in.

If they don't respond, you should get what you have been told on paper so if you are forced to take it elsewhere and you pay for it, you will have the evidence to then issue a claim for reimbursement of the what you have to pay out to get it done properly should they also refuse to reimburse you the cost.

It is much easier to make a claim for money.

This is the right thing to do as long as you give them ample warning of what you are intending so it gives them a further chance to give in and call the car back in.

I have x4 written quotes on the proper letter head paper so I'm covered in that respect. I'll be going for the £294 VW dealer (due to the cheaper cost but still being a main dealer). Like for like and if they whine I can say I could have gone for the £637 quote instead. It's the middle of the road price so fully justifiable. It's actually booked in for a week in Thursday already (if in the meantime the original dealer comes to an agreement I can cancel). I'm concerned the timescale is tight, but the door marks are down to bare metal and starting to rust already - I'm not delaying risking more damage, especially in this weather.

If it gets to the point I have to go to small claims, I'll be claiming for a new spoiler too whilst I am at it, they've failed to sort it and no other dealer will touch it so that's another £500 cost - but as a gesture of good will, I'll overlook this if we settle before. That's my bargaining tool.

If Seat UK will not intervene I think you may need to go to the media. The motoring press love this sort of thing. The manufacturers do not like bad press.

You say that Seat won't be interested but its is there brand that is being effected. When I contacted Honda I threatened it would be the last Honda we ever bought - not sure if thats why they intervened though!!

If Seat UK will not intervene I think you may need to go to the media. The motoring press love this sort of thing. The manufacturers do not like bad press.

You say that Seat won't be interested but its is there brand that is being effected. When I contacted Honda I threatened it would be the last Honda we ever bought - not sure if thats why they intervened though!!

I have spoken to SEAT UK and they are investigating, I should be getting a call back within 24 hours - But I don't think they'll have the power to make the dealer do anything as this is the dealers fault. Who knows!