learndirect intends to force unemployed to pay for courses it dictakes on a mandatory basis

broke2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have learnt the it is the governments intention to allow learndirect ( a profit making college that sells educational courses)

to force the unemployed to take its courses

and pay for them out of their benefits whether they want to take them or not or lose their entire benefits.

I don't know about you but this looks to me like a massive failure of human rights

and makes a mockery of any pretence that consumers are protected in the UK.

How can they do this?

This is like me arriving at your door to tell you that unless you buY this CAR/TV FROM ME YOU WILL LOSE YOUR INCOME BY LAW!

Is this something you've read that you can provide a link to please?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Yes I'd be very interested to see where you got this from?

Can you provide the source of this info please?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The source of this information is a tutor with learn direct.

Obviously it could affect him if I gave his name.

Someone I hope will stop this happening

because it may spread as a ruse for making people buy under threat of losing their income.

For instance what about being forced as bus driver to buy a very expensive yet profitable for the seller mobile phone app that connects buses to each other?

There really are countless ways in which the consumer can be fleeced if it becomes common practice to force purchase of any items or lose benefits, wages, bonus etc

The source of this information is a tutor with learn direct.

Sorry, but I would not regard this as a credible source of information unless it was backed up by verifiable statements from central government (specifically, the DWP). To be honest, I don't see how such a policy would get off the ground: An unemployed claimant is unlikely to be able to fund many of these "courses" out of their own pocket or pay for one out of JSA/UC along with living expenses. The alternative is to force the claimant to sign up for credit along the lines of a student loan - Which brings up another question: Would such a debt be enforcible under English law ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Unenforceable and illegal for a start as the money is yours, as described by DWP, "for you to live on" (whch is a joke in itself)

I wouldn't worry about this, however, I would worry come May 8th if the Tories get back in to power

Unenforceable and illegal for a start as the money is yours, as described by DWP, "for you to live on" (whch is a joke in itself)

I wouldn't worry about this, however, I would worry come May 8th if the Tories get back in to power

I would not discount it - they are always looking for ways to get the unemployed doing something..

It might not be as black and white as (we end up paying for our own course) but more if you do not go on one, you benefits will be suspended).

I hope they do not get back into power, but I am not optimistic (also who will they share government with if a hung parliament).

However you look at it, benefits will not be a high priority outside the Cons, who want us all gone.

I would worry come May 8th if the Tories get back in to power

No party is in Power, ever!

They are simply in office, telling them they have some kind of power only encourages them.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I have learnt the it is the governments intention to allow learndirect ( a profit making college that sells educational courses)

to force the unemployed to take its courses

and pay for them out of their benefits whether they want to take them or not or lose their entire benefits.

It is not inconceivable that this could become a reality, the government would recoup the costs the same way student loans are recouped except probably at a lower income threshold that way they cant be accused of taking our benefit away.