style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I'd be really grateful for any advice please.

I've been told today that we've been referred to Rundles re the arrears on our council tax. I am at home with a housebound disabled son who also suffers from severe anxiety- so my question is will the bailiffs visit me first or do they write to me? I don't think I can take it if they visit. We don't even have friends here at the moment because of son's illness.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

They will write to you first with a Notice of Enforcement. This will give you 7 clear days to respond (around 12 days usually in total).

However, prior to this you should gather all the evidence of your vulnerable household and so you have it ready.

You may want to also advise the Council of this too.

Hi, thank you so much for the reply. I have told the council the situation here but they're saying that they've done all they can. Our arrears go back a few years - we're paying the current year plus extra for the arrears - as we had large medical bills to pay - all of which can be proven - and we paid as much as we can to the council. Lumps sums and instalments. We have had to miss instalments and have let the council know. I received a letter this morning stating that April's first instalment for 15/16 hasn't been laid on time and our case had been sent to Rundles.

I will gather all the evidence prior to their letter. Thanks so much for your response.

I am sorry that you are in such a position re your Council tax.

I and a good few others on the forum have had similar experiences.

It is very poor that the Council have taken such a decision especially as this is the first month of their tax year. Does your son's disability mean that you cannot work

or does he have a carer? Are you in receipt of any benefits and are you a single parent? Do you have a car and if so is it a motability one?

So many questions.....but we need to know them so we can give you best advice. My initial thoughts are that you should complain to the CEO of the Council

outlining your financial situation and the distress that your son would suffer were bailiffs to visit. In addition contact your local councillor and explain where you are with C?Tax. Obviously adding a further £75 to your account which is what happens automatically when the bailiffs become involved means that it will take you even

longer to pay off the arrears and keeping up to date with your current tax. Explain that the medical bills for your son are preventing you from paying the C/T

otherwise you would be able to keep on top of their bills so it is not that you don't want to pay, but that your son's welfare must come first.

Before they can pass you over to Rundles they have to get authorisation from the Court-have they given you a date for the hearing?

n