ESA3 - What do they tell landlord?

Bones123456
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3280 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings all. A bit concerned about something, and google etc yields no answers...

I'm currently on contributory-based ESA- but have had a change in my living situation, and I've been told to fill in an ESA3 form. This is to update them on my change of circumstance, and also because I might qualify for an income-related top up to my ESA.

In one section, the form asks 'Do you pay a private landlord...for the place where you live?' and if you tick yes, 'Please tell us their name and address.' I'm concerned about filling in this information, since I don't want to inform my landlord (a small private letting agency technically) that I'm receiving ESA or housing benefit. I'm worried the landlord may discriminate against me, and anyway I would find it very traumatic and stressful to have to discuss my health issues or living situation with them.

When I originally claimed ESA, I did the usual phone interview where they ask you about all your details, then send a copy of your statement to you. I don't think they asked me either my landlord's address, or how much rent I was paying, in that interview- but I did inform them I was receiving housing benefit. On the ESA3 form, I have again mentioned that I recieve housing benefit- but they don't ask specifically how much my rent is, or for tenancy agreements (like the housing benefit office at the council would)- which has me worried about where they might go for this information. Don't they need to know how much rent I'm paying / what housing benefit I'm receiving, in order to calculate my entitlement?

Does anyone know what they use the landlord's address for? Do I absolutely have to fill it in? Will they write to them- and if so what will they say?

Thankyou so much.