• Tweets

• Hello    I will keep this short   HSBC blocked my account without warning in January and only reopened it yesterday after 10 months. They've given me £1,000 as a way of saying sorry. The blockage was due to an error in their system but it has led to the following for me -    7 defaults on credit file to the value of £152000, rent arrears of £2000 , paypal has closed my account which I had since 2003 as one of the defaults was with their credit services and as a result of this my online business has gone bust as PayPal was the only way I could get payments from clients. Car repossessed as finance payments were also blocked.    Can anyone advise if I have a case against HSBC either through the ombudsman or the County Court to recover all my losses ?  They have already told me they will not be increasing their compensation . Thanks     
    • Hello and welcome to CAG.   Can you tell us when the incident happened please?   Best, HB
    • Hi everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. I really need a help for what I have done and I regret. I’m sorry my English isn’t that great but I hope you can help and I really appreciate it.  Here my problem. 1 - I got caught while I was using a fake 16plus Oyster card while I was on my way to the shopping. The reason I bought it because I was struggling, family issues, I got robbed by gang and took my new bike which I bought the day before. 2 - when I saw the inspector I started panicking and the inspector asked my address, name and date of birth. I gave everything right except my date of birth was wrong. I’m no longer live in the preview address now. I’m no longer living the same address due to the rent was expensive and I can’t afford. I’m currently living with my friends for about a year now. Please help me if you can.
    • Hello,    I was emailed by the gym saying they would refund me half of my gym membership as I was unable to travel to the gym (it was in a location near my university and not my home).  I have been waiting fince July for this refund and they keep saying they're looking into it but I haven't received it yet. Oin one email they said that it was their accounts team having an issue locating my PayPal account. My PayPal account is the same email they contacted me on. And I haven't had a response in the past week about what the next hold up is but this is beyond ridiculous. What can I do to get my money back?    I tried to escalate through PayPal but they've rejected the claim as the purchase was over 180days ago. 
    • Very unusual indeed, not sure what made them go this direction but I am very happy. Mostly for the time saved!   You are a hero and what you and other site team members are doing here, is restoring our faith in humanity. Bless you!
  • Our picks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2045 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have been unfortunate enough having to sign on due to lack of work in my industry (niche IT-related).

Most work I have been offered recently tends to be ad hoc, short-term temp bookings. I have taken most of these bookings because I'm keen to keep my skills up to date. Also, sometimes short-term bookings may lead to something longer-term, though not quite as often as in the past.

Unfortunately, the JobcentrePlus (or the Social as it's still sometimes referred to) seems to be doing everything to discourage this. They now have those Universal Credit posters, saying "making work pay". Certainly the JSA (which I'm on) doesn't.

Say, you have a few hours of ad hoc work paying £70. You wouldn't pay any tax or employee's national insurance on that one, so far so good. However, your weekly JSA is £73.10. Now you go to work for a few hours and earn £70. The first five pounds is disregarded so you end up earning just a couple of quid more. Moreover, unless you are working from home you'd have some travel expenses. In a nutshell you are instantly worse off.

As I said before, I'd still be happy to take even a couple of hours booking in the hope it could result in more, longer-term booking.

Now, the main reason why this is almost impossible to do is how the current system works. If you work less than 16 hours per week you can still keep your claim open. You simply declare your hours and show your payslip and that should be it. The main problem is that the system assumes that you will be earning the same amount from thereon every week, hence your claim will be affected even when you are no longer working because your booking was just for a few hours in the first place.

Once you try to deal with this, most Jobcentre staff don't seem to know what to do. You are then asked to provide more payslips. However, most agencies don't issue you with a zero payslip when they don't have any work for you. Ironically, my current one actually does but we'll see if that is going to make a difference.

Once you know that your claim has been stuffed up you are likely to call the call centre. You'll be none the wiser in most cases. After more calls and some statements your benefits are finally reinstated.

Universal Credit is said to be designed to deal with these issues. But is it? To start with, you can now earn £700 per annum before losing your full benefit. After that they deduct 65p in every pound you earn until your benefit stops altogether.

From a financial point of view, this is hardly an improvement. £700 per annum equals to less than £15 per week. Of course, if this is calculated on an annual basis it will certainly make a huge difference to those who are lucky enough to find a job quickly and only do a couple of temp bookings.

We'll have to wait and see whether the Universal Credit implementation is going to make a real difference and cut bureaucracy.

Idea of Universal Credit is good but I feel that it's not going to make that much difference. If the Government really wants to make work pay, there should not be any deductions until you earn £40-50 a week, and deductions should be gentle to start with. They should also upgrade the system so that the Jobcentre staff, their computers and DWP management understand that people's circumstances may vary from one week to another.

At the moment, for the reasons above, work doesn't pay for many claimants. My biggest frustration is the fact that short-term (less than 16 hours) temp bookings just mess up your claim!

We'll have to wait and see whether the Universal Credit implementation is going to make a real difference and cut bureaucracy.

You have to remember that UC is being designed by bureaucrats at the behest of an ideologist with a perverted sense of morals. It will not cut bureaucracy or make life any easier for those it is intended to "help". When (if ?) it finally rolls out across the country and replaces all the different benefits, a lot of people, particularly single parents working part-time, will find themselves on the receiving end of a sanction because they do not actively seek additional work.

Look at the small print of U.C. and you will find that low paid & part time workers are expected to find employment that increases their earnings sufficiently so that U.C. is no longer paid.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I just looked at how they do this in Finland. Like in other Nordic countries, taxes are higher and benefits more generous than here.

The Finnish equivalent of JSA is around 705 euros per month. Like here, housing benefit is separate, but not necessarily any more generous. Council tax is collected via PAYE system and not linked to the property you live in, hence irrelevant.

In Finland, you are allowed to earn 300 per month (or 279 euros per a four week period) before you lose anything, then you lose 50c per euro.

Sounds like the UK benefits aren't that generous after all!

I for one would love to get a full time job and not having to claim any benefits.

There is a saying 'you have to speculate to accumulate' and it's true. Get yourself some business cards printed and even some flyers and then visit all the companies in your area you are able and willing to travel to and make yourself known. This can lead to long term contracts as well as emergency call outs.

Set yourself up with an attractive website and register yourself at companies house.

I was under the impression that any expenses you had during the week which were directly related to what

you were doing are/were taken into account by the JSA

I went self employed this time last year and to be honest it was the best thing that happened to me

in a long time.

No more JSA on my back

No more Job Hunts

No more traipsing around worrying about sanctions.

My business incurs a lot of business expenses so my profit is virtually zero but this is a good thing,

I am able to claim WRT,

I am able to claim HB and CTC

I also get NHS exemption for prescription/specs, dental etc.

I am my own boss and can start at 4 in the morning if I feel like it (and regularly do)

If I want a day off I can and not have to worry about it.

If I push it I can get most my days work done by 12 so it leaves afternoons and evenings free.

Like I said best thing I ever did.

There is a saying 'you have to speculate to accumulate' and it's true. Get yourself some business cards printed and even some flyers and then visit all the companies in your area you are able and willing to travel to and make yourself known. This can lead to long term contracts as well as emergency call outs.

Set yourself up with an attractive website and register yourself at companies house.

As someone who has done a lot of the above, I can say it doesn't really work that well, not when your background is in corporate services. Over the past 10 years I have had leaflets and business cards printed: some done professionally on nice paper stock using spot colours, some from Vista (not sure whether I'm allowed to mention commercial enterprises here, wouldn't want to look like I'm spamming for them), some printed at home on a colour inkjet. They have been for various purposes: photo DVD creation for weddings and other events (8-10 years ago, before social media fever), selling beauty products and handmade jewellery, as well as web and graphic design services. Hardly anything has come out of any of that. I own a limited company, that's just a vehicle and doesn't make any difference for promotional purposes. The company has been used mostly to invoice for services provided full time as you would as an agency 'temp', without using an agency.

At some point I even paid for ads on the online yellow pages, etc. I got lots of enquiries after this, sadly most were from people and companies trying to SELL me something rather than for my services. I also got quite a few CVs from job applicants! Any genuine enquiries resulted in a lot of time wasted creating pitches that came to nothing.

With regards to emergency call outs, the OP has stated above that working short-term has led to misunderstandings with the DWP who seem to think if you work, say, 10 hours this week, you'll be doing that every week.

I was under the impression that any expenses you had during the week which were directly related to what

you were doing are/were taken into account by the JSA

I went self employed this time last year and to be honest it was the best thing that happened to me

in a long time.

No more JSA on my back

No more Job Hunts

No more traipsing around worrying about sanctions.

My business incurs a lot of business expenses so my profit is virtually zero but this is a good thing,

I am able to claim WRT,

I am able to claim HB and CTC

I also get NHS exemption for prescription/specs, dental etc.

I am my own boss and can start at 4 in the morning if I feel like it (and regularly do)

If I want a day off I can and not have to worry about it.

If I push it I can get most my days work done by 12 so it leaves afternoons and evenings free.

Like I said best thing I ever did.

That sounds very good, can I ask what line of work you do?

Edited by Spring blues