Health and safety excuses are at a record high.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From dangerous daffodils being banned on a village green, to pork crackling not on the menu at a restaurant because it might splash the chef – complaints from the public being fobbed off with ‘elf and safety excuses are at a record high.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, the HSE panel has confirmed that health and safety regulations do not ban the activity and that ‘health and safety’ is being used as a smokescreen, usually to hide poor customer service.

Here's some of the more stupid excuses:

• pork crackling not on the menu at a restaurant because it might splash the chef
  • prams banned from a children’s centre for health and safety reasons
  • dangerous daffodils removed from a village green
  • custard pie fight at a local event cancelled because of health and safety
  • chippy not allowing customers to put salt and vinegar on their fish and chips
  • ban on playing with conkers and yoyos, using skipping ropes, and climbing trees
  • selfie sticks banned in a nightclub
  • sheep and cow droppings in a field stopping a scout group camping
  • school production cancelled because lighting operator had not attended ladder training course
  • loose flowers and pots not allowed on graves
  • office ban on paperclips

The Myth Busters Challenge Panel, to date, have considered over 350 cases and their responses published on the HSE website.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/myth-busting/index.htm

I couldn't find the one about the ban of paperclips.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It's an every day battle with the elf and safety officials.

They make it up as they go!

Another one that infuriates me is the data protection craziness.

I have been denied access to my own pension records at work because of data protection.

I explained that I want access to my own records but they insist that because there's my wife name on the beneficiary form, they cannot disclose any information; but i gave them my wife's name!?!?

Pure madness.

Got to stop writing now for elf and safety reasons, I am only allowed a certain number of words a day 😉

A lot of it is most likely down to organisations (or their insurers) not wanting to have a sue-ball thrown at them if some poor chef gets burnt by the crackling, or someone looses control of their car because they were blinded by the over-yellow daffodils!!

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

I have been denied access to my own pension records at work because of data protection.

I explained that I want access to my own records but they insist that because there's my wife name on the beneficiary form, they cannot disclose any information; but i gave them my wife's name!?!?

Surely they could simply redact the name of the beneficiary! It's not a reason to refuse access to everything....

disappointingly we had a health and safety meeting at work, and i was named as one of the risks

and i really wish that was a joke

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Very rarely will you see a cleaners sign saying 'slipper when wet' as a company lost a compensation claim using that sign. The judge said that by using those words they had admitted the floor was slippery and should have roped off the area.

Very rarely will you see a cleaners sign saying 'slipper when wet' as a company lost a compensation claim using that sign. The judge said that by using those words they had admitted the floor was slippery and should have roped off the area.

Not to mention getting a sue-ball from Bon Jovi for using one of their album titles without permission!!

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

A lot of it is most likely down to organisations (or their insurers) not wanting to have a sue-ball thrown at them if some poor chef gets burnt by the crackling, or someone looses control of their car because they were blinded by the over-yellow daffodils!!

Then they should say it is due to high risk/insurance, not health & safety.

Hoe about the one I came across at home - we are not allowed to take a mattress up stairs for you as Health & Safety issue, I was on walking sticks after major operation, daft bastxxx I use to have to do it years ago as I was sent out if any awkward deliveries for a major company to complete Removal mens job.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad: