MKDP LLP (old Barclaycard agreement) ***Claim Dismissed***

Cozza
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3285 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Another win over MKDP LLP I defended as an LIP - I have included a summary of the case to help others in the same situation.They replied to a s78 with a very brief page of t's and c's (incomplete ie missing default charges for one thing) and then much more detailed ones which I understood to be from then the account closed- these had my current address on.

After initiating Court proceedings they sent me a application form which was illegible (the worse case that I have seen). I kept writing to get a better copy - they even sent back to Bcard for a better copy but the one sent was even worse than the first. I went into the Court hearing expecting it to be adjourned for them to bring a better copy Judge wouldn't have it though as he said that their case didn't rest on this doc.

He was right actually as he said in his judgement that they had not knitted the t's and c's and the app form together in any way... i.e here is an application form and here are some t's and c's. I had prepared a skeleton argument about failure to comply with s78 first and then I had included the Section 60,61 argument and said that the agreement was not properly executed.

He said there was no evidence that the t's and c's presented had ever been signed, no linkage between the signed application form and those t's and c's given in the MKDP witness statement so the case just had not been set out correctly from the start. Their barrister mentioned 65 and he came back on 127 (3) - that the Court could not enforce as they had failed on 61.

They did not play the game fairly and I can elaborate on that by DM but one instance was pointed out to the Judge and he was very cross about this. Their barrister went down the track of I had had the money and spent it and I did not deny it I said that my argument was about the enforceability of the agreement.

I did say that over time I had paid a lot of interest to the original lender though and they had continued to charge interest even after I entered a payment plan with them. Also the fact that there were no default charges on the original t's and c's would mean I would have a substantial counterclaim ( I did not enter one at the beginning though as I did not have the statements to do so.

As part of the Judgment The Judge made a point of saying he wasn't happy finding this way (ie I was getting away without paying money owed) but it was absolutely my right as part of the Law to challenge in this way and he did not mean any disrespect to me.

He acknowledged the work I had done as an LIP to get to grips with the law in this area in a short space of time.

Edited by citizenB

Pleased to hear that you had a success with this, Cozza.

Can you let us know what the value of the claim was, please?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you:)

So a small claim.

This was obviously an account entered into prior to 2007 - where the production of the agreement in the correct format etc was important.

I can understand the Judge's comments, however, I am sure if you had prepared a spread sheet from the beginning of the account, he would have seen that the original spending would have been paid back many times and that the actual balance was made up of very high interest and charges.

Creditors were all too keen to provide credit to those whom they knew were "living on the financial edge", continuing to raise interest rates on their products when the BoE interest rate was falling like a lead weight.

The authors of the Consumer Credit Act provided debtors with protection, creditors shouldn't be surprised if debtors would use those laws/regulations to protect themselves.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Of course - unfortunately although I had requested a SAR pack from Barclaycard I didn't receive it until very late in the day. Too late to get this information together for the Court hearing. I had been fairly sure it would be adjourned and we would be back in again but I did write previously to the Court to say this should not be accepted as they had had nearly 18 month to get the information together that they needed but had not complied.

the amusing thing would be to work out now how much you could of claimed for penalty charges with 29.99% APR on them.

If that total comes to more than the outstanding balance, it might be worth issuing Barclaycard with a claim of your own :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Thread moved to Financial legal for better exposure.

Regards

Andy

Nice result Cozza:wink:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread