starting small claim against ex landlord - **WON in Court**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I called the court today and the defense has not filed a defense and dead line is today!

When I asked how to get a judgement by default form, she said that I might need to ask in writing?? I asked her about a form? she said my claim is under part 8, as it's a money plus return of goods so I even might not be able to apply for a judgement by default!!

Does anyone know anything about that?

She said I might need to ask the judge next week, as the hearing is next week. Also she said that she is not qualified to give legal advise and I should get a lawyer's advise! I do not wish to do that as they will give advise only if they will look after the case and take 40% of whatever I get!!

Anyone?

Thanks

What happens if the defendant ignores all correspondence from the Court?

If the defendant does not reply to your Claim within 14 Days, you can ask the Court for a 'Judgment by Default'. A Judgment by default is a judgment against the defendant, when the defendant fails to defend the Claim. Therefore you win the case by default.

If you started your Claim online you can request a Judgment by default via the MCOL website. If you made your claim on paper, you will need to complete the bottom half of your Notice of Issue form that the court sent you when you made your claim. HM Courts leaflet EX304 explains the situation pretty well:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

be aware that the deadline is for the court to receive the paperwork, not to process it by.

There is every chance their defence has arrived at the court but not yet been processed

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Is the judge going to decide for the amount to be returned at the hearing or do I need to apply for an assessment of damages?

Thanks

Seeking Site Team input for you on this ...............

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

mozas, below is a response made by Bankfodder for another thread - I thought it might be relevant here. Why did you issue a part 8 claim rather than a part 7 - are you wanting a court order, or should it have been a money claim only ?

A small claim is generally speaking a simple claim for a money amount.

This is generally speaking a fixed sum but on occasion you can suggest a maximum amount and leave it to the discretion of the court to decide what the level of damages would be subject to the maximum that you have identified on your claim.

This is called a Part 7 claim.

Where you are not claiming just a fixed amount that you are asking for some kind a court order, then you are dealing with a Part 8 claim.

The "parts" referred to parts of the CPR – the civil procedure rules which you can find on the County Court's website.

Generally speaking it is more expensive to bring a part 8 claim and although there can be a default judgement on a part 8, there would still have to be a hearing to decide on the order to be made.

It seems to me that you have made a part eight claim using part seven formalities.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

well I am doing it all on my own, without any sort of legal help and just trying to get information from internet and what I was told in the county court.

Originally I wanted to make a money claim only but when I phoned the help line they said it would not be accepted as I was seeking return of belongings that are bieng kept or the actual value of them plus compensation for not protection an extra £100 given towards my deposit. So after seeking help to the county court I was told I should apply for a claim under part 8 as it is an unspecified amount.

Now a hearing date was decided straight away by the court that is on the 13th of this month

I am just trying to find out what needs to be done step by step.

As the hearing is next week, I going to go along with it and ask the judge for him to specify an amount and judgement by default as the defense is failing to respect dead lines. I don't even know if I am allowed to ask him like that or if it needs to be done via a form as part 8 doesn't allow judgement by default amount as the be specified first. I am trying my best without any legal help.

Then I will apply a warrant of control if judgement is done and in my favor which should as no defense!!

Any thoughts?

Edited by honeybee13
Paras

Ah right, so you are looking for a court order as well (return of your belongings)

In which case, I apologise.. slick has left a message for others with more legal knowledge to look in on you and I am sure they will do as soon as possible.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

CPR 8 .1 (5) Where the claimant uses the Part 8 procedure he may not obtain default judgment under Part 12.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part08

Here you go :)

BCOBS

What, exactly, have you received from the court? Has the court told you that this is now being treated as a Part 8 claim?

If this is truly being treated as a Part 8 claim, there is no requirement for a Defence to be served. That is why there is no default judgment concept. I'm not entirely convinced Part 8 is appropriate though ...

Thanks citizen B, I had read that and didn't understand why I couldn't apply for judgement by default!

Thanks letsmakeamark, as I am dealing with return of goods or the value, return of some deposit money and compensation for failing to protect extra money given as a deposit, the situation is different than a regular claim for possession. I am going to let the judge decide on Wednesday and if i get the order in my favor, I am going for bailiffs after. Need to teach a lesson to that awful LL, who is just too greedy and wants to keep everything!

:evil:

ok so here is what happened:

Went to court this morning, the defendants were present and did not file any kind of defense or statements to argue the claim!!

They can unprepared and pretending to not understand what was happening.

The judge had read the 2 claimants statements and the witness statement we have provided and all the particular of claims provided, so she had a good view of what happened well my version.

It went very well and in our favor, she straight away advised the defendants whether to come to an agreement between us or to prepare themselves properly and be asked to come again in a few months. The ex LL played his favorite card saying that it was all a waste of time and that he was too busy to have to deal with this, that did not go well with the judge and she said well obviously there is a reason with you are now in front of me!!

Anyway, I had requested the belongings back of a value:-Dof £1700, I got £875 instead for the belongings, and I requested £625 back out of £825 of deposit money, instead I got £725 back so all together I got back £1600 instead of £2300 so not back I would say as the judge told me to bare in mind that the value of the belongings would be considered as second hand value from a bailiff.

Anyway, once received the court order I can claim then my deposit money from DPS and the LL will have 14 days to pay the rest, he already informed the judge he will be paying in total in 1 payment.

The LL didn't even argue to not give me anything back like he argued before I took him to court, he straight away went into negotiation mode!!

I would say it is really worth spending the time to take a dishonest person to court as long as you don't lie and you have a strong case and show that you are genuine in every statements!!

Thanks all for your precious help!:-D:-D:-D

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Well done on this great result Mozas.

Thread title amended to reflect your **WIN**

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Well done, I am really pleased for you. :)

BCOBS