Vorsprung durch Technik? German cars 'amongst least reliable'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

German cars are amongst the least reliable, and Japanese cars amongst the most dependable, according to an industry survey.

German manufacturers took four of the bottom six places in a reliability table based on the experiences of 50,000 UK car owners.

By contrast, Japanese manufacturers took four of the top six places.

The findings fly in the face of Germany's traditional reputation for engineering excellence.

That reputation was used by Audi in its advertising catch-line "Vorsprung durch Technik" - or "progress by technology".

Luxury car-maker Bentley, owned by Volkswagen, was judged the least reliable of 37 brands, in the research by What Car? and Warranty Direct.

Mercedes, Audi and Porsche were also in the bottom six.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32332210

I've been saying this for years. All buyers of German cars are being conned, they are crap.

Just typical, I start to have a look at a new Merc / Audi as a treat for my new job and this comes out...

I think I'll stick with the Volvo for a while (the new Civic Type R looks exciting!)

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

my 11 year old Audi A3 2ltr TDI disagrees with you :madgrin:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

That's just it Sabre, you see more Audi / Merc / BMW on the road in daily use with old style plates let alone a '54/04 than you do other models. Hence my lusting after an A5 as a car I can keep and run into the ground. I suppose so much of it is down to luck and down to the fact that owners of higher end cars are more likely to use warranties as they value their car more than say an 11 year old Fiat Punto.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Reading a bit more about how they came up with the stats, it appears to be centered around the £ spent in repairs over a set period of time. I would argue that's not really reliability. IN my eyes, reliability is the amount of times you need to have repairs done. It therefore ignores expense incurred as a result of having a car off the road for repairs. EG hire cars, public transport etc.

Yes, when my AUDI goes wrong, it will be more expensive than a FORD to fix. But that FORD may need repairs 7 or 8 times compares to my Audi's 2 or 3 :)

In the scrapyard near me, finding parts for my Audi is problematic. There is not a single A3 in there. Sometimes I have to look at other VAG vehicles. So the question remains. Why if they are so low down in reliability, are scrapyards devoid of them :D

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I only use German stuff.

From cars to pencils I try to use only the perfectly engineered tools.

I even started to drink German wine.

You can't really compare an Audi A4 to the Ford equivalent (Mondeo).

Even the Fischer wall plugs and anchors are by far the best you can buy, ask any serious builder.

I've been saying this for years. All buyers of German cars are being conned, they are crap.

A sweeping generalisation if ever there was one.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

OHs Y reg A6 estate with 150,000 miles on the clock is brill. Had an old Quattro years ago which had to be written off after an accident as not worth repairing but he longed to have another Audi because he loved that car.

On the other hand a Toyota he had had to be scrapped as the cost of a new engine when it packed up meant it was only worth scrap.

Had 2 golfs and now got a polo - all good.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Reading a bit more about how they came up with the stats, it appears to be centered around the £ spent in repairs over a set period of time. I would argue that's not really reliability. IN my eyes, reliability is the amount of times you need to have repairs done. It therefore ignores expense incurred as a result of having a car off the road for repairs. EG hire cars, public transport etc.

Yes, when my AUDI goes wrong, it will be more expensive than a FORD to fix. But that FORD may need repairs 7 or 8 times compares to my Audi's 2 or 3 :)

In the scrapyard near me, finding parts for my Audi is problematic. There is not a single A3 in there. Sometimes I have to look at other VAG vehicles. So the question remains. Why if they are so low down in reliability, are scrapyards devoid of them :D

I think you are completely correct SS and to use information from a warranty company, the most complained of all the insurance companies can only be described as irony.

The world needs to get around this 'German engineering' boast. They use the same tooling as all car makers and their products are no better than anyone elses and with tolerances a lot looser, not so long wearing.

Compared to many Morris Minor which easily reached half a million miles on the clock and still going strong, they can't compete.

I think you are completely correct SS and to use information from a warranty company, the most complained of all the insurance companies can only be described as irony.

The world needs to get around this 'German engineering' boast. They use the same tooling as all car makers and their products are no better than anyone elses and with tolerances a lot looser, not so long wearing.

Compared to many Morris Minor which easily reached half a million miles on the clock and still going strong, they can't compete.

Sorry conniff, I have to disagree with you this time.

As an example my brother works in a Bosch factory in Italy making diesel pumps (tdi system)

Their pumps are fitted to fiat, Alfa, lancia, some ford and the French makes.

The same factory in Germany, using the same equipment and tools with staff having had the same training supplies the German makers.

September 2013 they had to stop a machine in Germany for major maintenance and had to use the Italian factory for the pumps.

They were built and shipped and... sent all back because they were over the "German" tolerance.

In other words, if a bearing has a play allowance of max 30 micron, the Germans will built them with a play of 15 and the Italians just about 28/29.

They're both good but the Germans will last longer.

FACT!

😅

Sorry I'm not trying to be silly, it's just something that we say at work very often (FACT!)

King 12345 I know the mondeo being "only" a Ford is not as highly regarded as an audi, but I take it you are not aware that they are built near cologne - yep cologne, that's in Germany, as are many fiestas, focus etc. But they rank near the top of the survey! (NUMBER 5) And from experience there really ain't that much in it quality wise. ( ex BMW and audi driver), oh but the bonus bit is the engines will probably have been built in the UK, and That's where VAG have been struggling recently, with engine problems.