Giving up smoking need advice (tabaco)

bogdan0788

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2418 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I smoked for 20 years and I managed it . first of all see if you GP surgery has a stop smoking clinic . I found losegers worked for em but everyone is different . With these I found the first couple of days I alternated between the lozenge's and cigarettes that cut the cigs out totally and so far since July last year no relapse and I was smoking 40 a day . it can be done and you will see the benefits very quickily . Also try and get family to support you as well Good Luck

Yes good luck too.

Smoking was the most stupid thing I ever did and giving up was the best.

Keep us updated here as to how it is going. You'll get lots of support here from ex-smokers and also from jealous smokers!!

Having smoked for over 20 years I quit on 10/1/10, and I feel so much better. I would say there are several tactics you should consider.

1. Work out your reasons for quitting. The money you'll save, the health benefits and most importantly the extra time you will have around the people you love.

2. Use whatever substitutes work best for you. They may be expensive, but they're only temporary. If the patches leave a nasty taste try the gum. Have plenty of options and make sure you don't run out.

3. Make sure there are no cigarettes available. Give your remaining cigarettes away and ask friends to stop offering you a smoke. Support from friends and family is important.

4. Avoid the situations that make you smoke if possible. Keep yourself occupied. It's especially important to keep your hands busy. Computer games are a very useful diversion.

5. Keep reminding yourself that you're doing brilliantly and remember your reasons for quitting. The cravings do ease off, and you will find that you don't need the patches or gum as often.

Smoking is a vile addiction that causes grim illnesses. If you can do this (and I know you can), you will feel better, live longer and have more money.

Good luck to you matey

To add to the above, I used both Champix and an Inhalator to help me quit, the Inhalator was great because it also means that your hands are busy (exactly the same as smoking).

The Champix is tablet based and along with the Inhalator available from your stop-smoking Nurse, the Inhalator can also be bought privately via Chemists etc.

Best of luck with quitting.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Before I finally quit after many attempts, I was very sceptical about the NHS services and quitting - I foolishly thought that it offered no value and wouldn't help me. I was very wrong. It was the smoke free service that got me over the final hurdle.

Financially, you can get stop smoking products on prescription, which is significantly cheaper than purchasing them normally. I used gum, lozenges, inhalators and patches - not all at the same time, I alternated between them and found what I preferred in different circumstances.

I found that patches worked well to dull cravings during the day, but not eradicate them. When I was driving, I would use an inhalator as well as the patch. The gum worked really well for me too. I wasn't a fan of the lozenges, as they tended to give me a sore throat - however I kept at them as almost a reminder that if I started smoking again, I'd have to use more of the darned things!!

By far the biggest help for me was the carbon monoxide breath tests. These would show to the health worker that I hadn't cheated, thinking that no-one would find out. I was only cheating myself, I know... but now I had something tangible to prove I hadn't cheated, it really worked.

Good luck, you can do it. It's a stupid habit, you are effectively going to the cashpoint every day, taking out a tenner, setting fire to it, and breathing it in. You can quit, and you can effectively give yourself a £300 a month pay rise.

for me, stopped on will power. i went to the Dagobah System, and have not had a ciggy since. as the little green guy said, do or do not.

but, i then slipped back to the dark side and have the odd cigar, on occasions.

dont get into the cigar habit as a substitute.

good luck. :)

IMO

:-):rant:

I finally quit smoking in January this year, after 20+ years.

I actually wasn't looking to quit at the time, but I had remarked to my oldest son (who quit nearly a year ago) that I was smoking so much I disliked the taste left in my mouth.

That weekend he bought me a Spinner vape & the very next day I went with that instead of buying my usual 40 fags.

It took me a good month to overcome the cravings, I would also visualise going to the garage to buy fags. It was pure torment & I really struggled that first month.

But quitting smoking after such a long time was never going to be easy.

I'm now 3+ months without fags & I feel so much better for it.

Best of all is the amount of money I've saved. It came as a shock on how much per month I spent on fags alone!!

I still use my Vape & my usage on it is decreasing. I know for a fact I would never have quit without the Vape.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!