change of car ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3290 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi

I am thinking of downsizing my Vauxhall Astra 1.6 8V 5 door (automatic), 03 plate (82000 miles ) to

Ford Focus 03 plate, 1,4 (54000 miles), manual

I have estimated a £400 per year saving in running costs (fuel, tax etc)

this figure has been obtained from reliable comparison calculators online,

the purchase value and re-sell value of my Astra is about the same, around £1100

although the £400 per saving sounds good, I have never owned a Focus, can anyone advise.

Would you be tempted to make swap alone for £400 per year saving, based on these two models of cars. (the Astra has been very reliable, I do 14000 per year to work and back)

?

Both my son and I drive a Focus, (his is 1.8 mine is 1.4) I've had mine nearly 3 years and been really happy with it. Very economical and easy to drive.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

There's nothing wrong with Ford's. I currently own a 2007 Ford Focus Ghia (2.0 Duratec) and previously owned a Ford Mondeo TDCi. The Focus is very reliable, had absolutely no problems with it in 25000 miles of motoring.

Unfortunately you'll hear more negative things on the Internet due to how popular Ford's are, and therefore when something goes wrong, people are straight on the Internet asking for advice.

If everybody who owns a problem free Ford came onto the Internet to praise their car, then it would outweigh the negatives by a lot.

All depends on the history of the car. if its well looked after, it could see you fine. But 03 is common for injectors, exhausts, bearing, timing and a host of other faults. Buts its an 12 year old car. Don't expect miracles. I have known some real dogs in the 03 area and they include both ford and Vauxhall. But then again, an 03 plate range rover overfinch worth 15.000 will be a pile of junk worth scrap of its not been properly looked after.

Check the histories and phone the garages to check they are legit.

I've had my (well my wife's Mondeo for about 8 years no too many probs) went online today to check Model and engine size ect for new coil pack.

Found out the Mot ran out in January !!!

Just checking all my neighbours cars now :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I've had my (well my wife's Mondeo for about 8 years no too many probs) went online today to check Model and engine size ect for new coil pack.

Found out the Mot ran out in January !!!

Just checking all my neighbours cars now :)

:)

I have a Focus 1.6 & it's a 2011 model. Its an absolute dream to drive. Have had no issues with it. It's a low emission petrol.

The fuel consumption on long drives is brilliant. In the city though, its not great. The catalogue states over 50mpg in urban driving, but I'd be having a good day if I get 30mpg and that's with really clever gear changing, going gentle on gas and brakes. The most I've got out of it in the 4 yrs I've had it is 31mpg & that's driving at the best eco driving rating according to onboard calculators.

Fuel consumption is the only niggle I have with this car. I think the Fiesta may be a bit more economical fuel wise.

Both my son and I drive a Focus, (his is 1.8 mine is 1.4) I've had mine nearly 3 years and been really happy with it. Very economical and easy to drive.

thanks for positive feedback,

I have had Fords, in past, this is my first Astra, think I have always preferred Ford, (had an old Mondeo, was great runner)

The catalogue states over 50mpg in urban driving, but I'd be having a good day if I get 30mpg..

It is calculated based on absolute optimal conditions, no wind resistance, on a rolling road, no electrical load etc. You should at least get 40mph at 70mph in highest gear. Town driving will get much less.

I used to have an MG ZR 1.4 that says 41mpg in the book, I actually managed to get 41mpg doing 70mph from it all the way up to Scotland.