Halifax Credit Card Charges Reclaim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3295 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cool.

Doesn't matter too much who the credit card was with originally.

The first thing to do regarding the reclaim is to start a new thread for that so the people with the knowledge will be able to assist you. When you do that, feel free to pm me with a link to the new thread so i can help follow it.

And yes, old charges can be reclaimed. It will involve a game of chicken with the bank at the small claims court.

OK cheers I will get her to send a CCA to DCA first then I will start a new thread re charges and will let you know.

Remember that 1st Crud are wanting to reset the payment plan.

List the charges in a spreadsheet (date & amount) Going forwards these will have attracted interest charges (although they say that the order that payments are applied = charges first, that will still have meant that additional interest would have been paid on the real balance).

The amount of interest each month would be the interest amount * (total of charges + interest on charges) / balance (or the whole lot if greater)

List the interest amounts as well

You can charge 8% interest on each of the amounts - another column in the spreadsheet

Add them all up, subtract from what they say that you owe (unless greater than the outstanding balance, in which case they owe you)

Armed with that, any negotiation becomes easier

If you know the amount they owe you for reclaimed charges (increases monthly because of the 8%) then you know when to stop paying them

Don't forget to verify that this is all ok from the CCA angle. While they take time to find the agreement, that's more to hit them with.

n.b. if the banking error was your bank's fault, you might want to approach them for some compensation for the hassle & extra up front costs if you do end up increasing payments. Perhaps your bank would contact them on your behalf and negotiate for you ...

Many thanks 2grumpy

Is there a certain spreadsheet in the CAG library for this or will I have to devise one of my own ?

After speaking to my OH last night she has advised that we already have SAR details for this card. We previously sent one to the Halifax regarding our mortgage and they sent everything (quite a large bundle) under our said names :-)

I just quickly went through details this morning and found copies of some old statements for her card and confirmation that they could not provide the original copy of the signed agreement.

It now transpires that the card was originally opened in 1991 transferred to another in 1995 then to the current account number in 1996. The account was then defaulted in March 2006 due to financial issues.

Shall I still send a CCA request to 1st Credit and in the meantime prepare a charges spreadsheet ?

Hi all

As the last two posts are regarding a credit card charge reclaim, I have moved them to their own thread.

Please use this thread for all matters relating to the reclaim.

The way we advise you to consider is to make a claim for the charges and INTEREST in RESTITUTION as it is far simpler as it does not relate to differing interest rates that they may have used over time and can end up with you coming out ahead.

Pick the highest rate of interest they have applied to your credit card and use that as the apr you will charge them on those penalties.

Remember this only applies to credit card charges. NOT overdraft.

There is a spreadsheet somewhere, I will hunt down the link.

In meantime, please look at some success threads to get a rough idea on the process.

Although I cannot confirm my two are successful, I can say that they provide a useful guide on what you may want to do :)

Regards

SS

Interest Calc :http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?330996-Latest-Spreadsheets-PPI-Claims-and-Charges-Claims-Dec-2011

Interesting threads to read. : http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423796-SabreSheep-Vs-Natwest-Moorcroft

: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423713-Barclaycard-Link

: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309037-Charges-older-than-6-years-***WON***-Compound-Int-t-and-**NO-SET-OFF**/page4

Edited by SabreSheep
adding links and fixing them

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Basically the short version will be

1) Calculate Charges and interest using info from SAR or Statements on hand

2) Decide if it is worth pursuing. Let us know outstanding figure vs the amount you can reclaim

3) Preliminary complaint letter : Draft here after looking at templates and other examples (without personal details)

4) When time elapses or the inevitable rejection letter arrives, repeat letter with updated spreadsheet , figures and LETTER BEFORE ACTION in big red scarey letters as a title

5) Prepare your Particulate Of Claim while you wait for the rejection letter to arrive (Or measly offer) using this thread to draft it.

6) Issue your claim on N1 form, asking questions and checking everything is in order before you do so.

Then we guide you along the process of litigation chicken in the small claims process.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Just to answer your pm.

1. The reclaim will go against the original lender.

2. When approaching settlement the OC may buy back the debt from the dca so any compensation could be offset against it.

Thats why we need the figures so you can choose to proceed or not.