• Tweets

• a 'witness' to it not arriving till the 15th is sadly immaterial too. regardless to the above anyway, the PCN remains valid. 
    • Hmm yes I see your point about proof of postage but nonetheless... "A Notice to Keeper can be served by ordinary post and the Protection of Freedoms Act requires that the Notice, to be valid,  must be delivered either (Where a notice to driver (parking ticket) has been served) Not earlier than 28 days after, nor more than 56 days after, the service of that notice to driver; or (Where no notice to driver has been served (e.g ANPR is used)) Not later than 14 days after the vehicle was parked A notice sent by post is to be presumed, unless the contrary is proved, to have been delivered on the second working day after the day on which it is posted; and for this purpose “working day” means any day other than a Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday in England and Wales." My question there is really what might constitute proof? Since you say the issue of delivery is a common one I suppose that no satisfactory answer has been established or you would probably have told me.
    • I would stand your ground and go for the interest. Even if the interest is not awarded you will get the judgement and the worst that might happen is that you won't get your claim fee.  However, it is almost inevitable that you will get the interest.  It is correct that it is at the discretion of the judge but the discretion is almost always exercised in favour of the claimant in these cases.  I think you should stand your ground and don't give even the slightest penny away Another judgement against them on this issue would be very bad for them and they would be really stupid to risk it but if they did, it would cost them far more than the interest they are trying to save which they will most likely have to pay anyway
    • Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiff enforcement......if a vehicle is considered to be 'exempt' should the debtor issue an injunction?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For further simplification.

1 - OP pays debt direct to creditor, less bailiff fees.

If fees are due because the sum was paid after the enforcment stage commenced then the EA will be entitled to take the goods, if the sum was paid before the enforcment stage commenced he cannot.

2 - Bailiff takes car to cover his fees.

See above

3 - Judge rules this is unlawful and orders car to be returned.

Yes if sum were paid before the enforcment stage commenced and the fees became due.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put the EA cannot enforce for fees not yet due, if the fees are due because the enforcment stage has begun he can.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It is really a simple idea if for instance the amount due is paid in the compliance stage then yes the further enforcment will not take place, this is the meaning of compliance there is a clue in the word, ie to comply. :)

Frankly it is unnerving that people who do not understand these simple ideas give advice. Thankfully not on reputable forums though.

I am sure we all know this but there are three stages of enforcement( four in high court cases).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/1/regulation/5/made?view=plain

Stages of enforcement for which fees may be recovered – enforcement other than under High Court writs

5.—(1) The relevant stages of enforcement under an enforcement power which is not conferred by a High Court writ are as follows—

the compliance stage

the enforcment stage

the sale stage.

these are all enforcement stages and each are due at there commencement as defined within the fees regulations.

As said scary that people are giving advice without knowing this basic stuff.

I'm posting here, as I could not post my thoughts on the other thread regarding the recent case of apparently exempt goods being taken under control and the judge siding with the enforcement company due to beneficial interest.

I'm not commenting on anything which has gone before on this thread, only on its title, "Bailiff enforcement ...... if a vehicle is considered to be 'exempt' should the debtor issue an injunction?"

The answer would now seem to be a definitive no, unless there is no other option available to the debtor. Usually (not always), Part 85 is a free remedy to this issue available to the debtor. Where this option is available, which covers most cases, it should be taken. The judgment yesterday reinforces this.

I do not see how the law can prescribe Part 85 must be used, as there is a clear right for a debtor to seek an injunction. Here I seem to be at odds with many on this board.

Is an injunction the best course to follow? I would say no, in the vast majority of cases it is not. Sometimes it may be necessary, but only as the exception, not the rule.

Common sense alone dictates to me that where a free remedy is available, you try it rather than risk substantial monies on another remedy. As said already, just occasionally the free remedy may not be an option; in these cases the right to injunct should certainly be considered, but it should be an informed decision, knowing all the pros and cons of taking that course of action.

Going back to MF and their being allowed to address the court , it seems that some of the opinion may be outdated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29883819

It is a shift that has happened over the last couple of years however I am not a fan of unqualified people making a living out of 'helping' others in court

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

The article seems to echo what we have said on here Fletch ?

I am afraid the newly qualified student will have to seek a role with a solicitors firm, the same as they always have if they wish to make a living out of the law.

The analogy with brain surgery is a good one IMO.

Going back to MF and their being allowed to address the court , it seems that some of the opinion may be outdated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29883819

It is a shift that has happened over the last couple of years however I am not a fan of unqualified people making a living out of 'helping' others in court

Hi Fletch,

Long time no see!

In post 64 I posted a pdf document which was the report mentioned in your article, and written by the Legal Services Panel. It's a fairly short and very easy, comprehensive read of things as they now stand. I'd recommend it as a good read.

This is an interesting observation

"Privacy and data protection are issues. Clients' personal details have been put on social media or disclosed inadvertently through client testimonials.

I have been told of aggressive and intimidating behaviour by McKenzies.

And McKenzies themselves voiced concern that some of their number push their own agendas at the expense of the client's interests."

I have read the article you mean CD and yes it was interesting . As I have said on many occasions I worry about unqualified people giving actual ringside advice especially for a fee. There is a genuine concern about some bad MF's and people running their own agends, god help us if good old Sri Lanka -the new name for someone started being a paid for MF in money claims . There was a post on a blog fairly recently about these dangers , no insurance, no comeback if the advice is negligent .

Another problem is finding out accurate stats on the success rate of any MF

I doubt that there will be any statistics regarding the success rates of MFs as their purpose is not to litigate.

I'm not commenting on anything which has gone before on this thread, only on its title, "Bailiff enforcement ...... if a vehicle is considered to be 'exempt' should the debtor issue an injunction?"

The answer would now seem to be a definitive no, unless there is no other option available to the debtor. Usually (not always), Part 85 is a free remedy to this issue available to the debtor. Where this option is available, which covers most cases, it should be taken. The judgment yesterday reinforces this.

I do not see how the law can prescribe Part 85 must be used, as there is a clear right for a debtor to seek an injunction. Here I seem to be at odds with many on this board.

Is an injunction the best course to follow? I would say no, in the vast majority of cases it is not. Sometimes it may be necessary, but only as the exception, not the rule.

Common sense alone dictates to me that where a free remedy is available, you try it rather than risk substantial monies on another remedy. As said already, just occasionally the free remedy may not be an option; in these cases the right to injunct should certainly be considered, but it should be an informed decision, knowing all the pros and cons of taking that course of action.

Excellent post and I agree with you that as there is a free remedy (under CPR 85) why not use it.

Just to recap, under CPR 85 all that is required is that if a debtor (or third party) considers that a bailiff has taken control of 'third party goods' or goods that the debtor considers should really be 'exempt' then he must (according to CPR 85) write to the enforcement company within 7 days to outline the reason why he considers that the goods are 'exempt' etc.

By law, the enforcement company have just 3 days to inform the creditor (normally the local authority) of the claim.

The creditor then has a maximum period of just 7 days to either 'admit' the claim or dispute it.

If the creditor 'admits' the claim, then the goods must be released back to the debtor.

Instead, what is happening (and confirmed in the following case) is that debtors are making contact with one particular 'McKenzie' who, for a fee of around £50 offers to speak with the bailiff in a recorded telephone conference to outline to the bailiff why, (according to the McKenzie) the bailiff has acted unlawfully and the MK then provides the bailiff with a 'deadline' for the clamp to be removed (normally just 24 hours).

Once the deadline imposed by the McKenzie has passed, the debtors is then advised by the MK to make an application for an injunction. Crucially, the debtor will then pay further fees to the McKenzie for drafting of his claim. In most cases (unless he is entitled to exemption) the debtor will have to also pay court fees of around £395 (this is in addition to the fees charged by the MK).

As is made very clear in CPR 85, there is a legal timeframe that must be abided by...but crucially, the legal position is that any decision to release goods must be given by the creditor.

Accordingly, the steps outlined by the McKenzie have no legal basis whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...

The High Court has banned a man who acted as a McKenzie friend in several family law cases after several aggressive outbursts.

Former bouncer Nigel Baggaley was the “moving spirit behind two limited liability companies that provide legal advice and legal services” despite his admission that he had “no relevant professional training or qualifications”.

Last year, Mr Justice Peter Jackson issued an interim order which banned Mr Baggaley from representing anyone else after he swore at opposing lawyers on a number of occasions. He also admitted he had “faced up” to a barrister in court while advising a mother in a family case. The barrister in question “believed that Mr Baggaley was about to headbutt him” during the confrontation.

Sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, President of the Family Division Sir James Munby extended the ban indefinitely.

Full details below:

http://www.marilynstowe.co.uk/2015/05/26/mckenzie-friend-banned-from-court-indefinitely/

A full copy of the judgment can be found in the following link (if the link does not work a copy can be accessed from the article above).

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Fam/2015/1496.html

And now he has another company based in stoke on trent. However it's in his 'other' name and the owner is his a woman with the same surname . Midlands lawyers law shop , doesn't inspire confidence

The man is completely mad

https://www.facebook.com/public/Nigel-Quinlan

https://en-gb.facebook.com/public/Nigel-Baggaley

But I do object to Hinckley being called a suburb of leicester by someone on the law gazette web site and without an address I could not comment if it was a grotty little housing estate-maybe a bit of southern snobbery

And now he has another company based in stoke on trent. However it's in his 'other' name and the owner is his a woman with the same surname . Midlands lawyers law shop , doesn't inspire confidence

Same person...

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/bully-gets-suspended-jail-sentence-3076507

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

Actually I find most of the comments pretty ignorant. I admit that this guy sounds a lot shady, with different names and companies-on one he even says he is not a MF but a lawyer. He is clearly unprofessional but to be honest so are many of the posts. It was the government that cut back legal aid and allowed this situation to happen and it will only get worse

Actually I find most of the comments pretty ignorant. I admit that this guy sounds a lot shady, with different names and companies-on one he even says he is not a MF but a lawyer. He is clearly unprofessional but to be honest so are many of the posts. It was the government that cut back legal aid and allowed this situation to happen and it will only get worse

I would think that a professional approach would be paramount in family case , possibly more so than other civil cases, emotions run high in any case in custody and divorce situations, if you have representation you need a cool analytical head not someone who is shouting abuse at the other side, I would have thought.

Dodge

I was in no way supporting this guy, I feel his conduct was irresponsible in the extreme. I do however, think that some of the comments on the site were unprofessional making personal attacks (as opposed to attacks on his conduct) showed a lack of knowledge and bigotry (what relevance is there to the fact he may or may not have lived on a housing estate and without knowing the address who can tell if it's grotty) . If memory serves me right Maggie lived on a housing estate at one time even though they would have called it a 'gated community'

Dodge

I was in no way supporting this guy, I feel his conduct was irresponsible in the extreme. I do however, think that some of the comments on the site were unprofessional making personal attacks (as opposed to attacks on his conduct) showed a lack of knowledge and bigotry (what relevance is there to the fact he may or may not have lived on a housing estate and without knowing the address who can tell if it's grotty) . If memory serves me right Maggie lived on a housing estate at one time even though they would have called it a 'gated community'

I never thought you were Fletch, I was just making an observation

Aren't Family Court Sessions "top secret" with everyone forbiddern from speaking about the case, including the parent/s? So its hard to see how this Mackenzie Friend chap got in. the stuff he is apparantly posting. court documents etc, well if it was a closed family court, then he is in a world of trouble should Plod notice (or someone reports him(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Aren't Family Court Sessions "top secret" with everyone forbiddern from speaking about the case, including the parent/s? So its hard to see how this Mackenzie Friend chap got in. the stuff he is apparantly posting. court documents etc, well if it was a closed family court, then he is in a world of trouble should Plod notice (or someone reports him(

Yes you would think so. It seems to be an area where most of the MF firms operate. I suspect one of the reasons is that most proceedings are based on evidential matters, who did what to whom etc. In depth knowledge of the law is not as important as in other proceedings.