Parked on restricted area, didnt see it.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I parked in a council car park a couple of weeks ago and got a ticket, at first I couldnt understand why as I thought I had parked in a disabled bay which I am allowed to do.

Someone was already in that space and they left and I reversed straight into the bay. However it turned out to be a restricted area, but looked like a disabled bay as it was situated on the end of the row of disabled bay parking spaces. I parked over where it said 'keep clear' so had no knowledge until I got the PCN that it was restricted. There were no other signs.

I understand I was in the wrong, however if I didnt see the 'keep clear' signs under my car as I had no idea that it was restricted, surely they should have signs on the wall to make it clearer. I certainly would not have parked there otherwise. I have appealed it, but the onus is on me to check. Was their response. I happened to be in a rush and didnt think about looking under my car to see if I was parked correctly. who does in a car park. As i said a car was already parked there so didnt see the 'keep clear' sign.

I just want to know, please, do the council have to have other signs, say on the wall to state that the area is restricted, it was marked out in yellow just like the other disabled bays.

Im quite happy to pay it but if its a technicality that I dont have to pay Im all for that, I cant really afford to pay it if you get what I mean. :(

Cheers guys :)

do the council have to have other signs, say on the wall to state that the area is restricted,

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions don't apply to council car parks, so the answer is no.

Obviously if you had driven in rather than reversing, you would probably seen the keep clear markings.

You can't lose anything by appealing.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You can't lose anything by appealing.

The OP said "I have appealed it, but the onus is on me to check was their response." - Therefore, he has already appealed once and so is now faced with a choice of paying the discount now, or forfeiting it, in order to battle on with the next stage of the appeals process. So, he has something to lose - the additional charges which will be added on.

Knowing the contravention code would be a help in deciding what sort of case he has.

The OP said "I have appealed it, but the onus is on me to check was their response." - Therefore, he has already appealed once and so is now faced with a choice of paying the discount now, or forfeiting it, in order to battle on with the next stage of the appeals process. So, he has something to lose - the additional charges which will be added on.

Knowing the contravention code would be a help in deciding what sort of case he has.

I stand corrected. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.