Private Renting of a property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We rented a property during 2013 for £695 per month, in the contract it stated about the renewal and the increases would be 3% making it £715 for the second year etc.

Anyway. the landlord at the expiry of the first year term decided not to issue us a tenancy agreement via the letting agent but instead use one of the templates purchased from Staples.

This year he has decided to go back using the agent and now wants £750.00 per month.

1st Year £695

2nd Year £715

3rd Year £736 (Landlord now wanting £750)

so my question is this, the first agreement was a fully detailed contract which stated the 3% increase per renewal.

the second contract was so basic it was just a 1 A4 Page with no mention of the 3%

now i suspect the new contract from the agent will again contain the 3% increase.

so basically by the landlord not giving us a new contract last time which is the one issued by the agent, Can he now put up the rent to what ever he wants?

Hi there

I am going to move your thread to the residential lettings forum where more people can see it and offer feedback.

This is done my end so you do not need to do anything different form here on in.

Regards

SS

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

So it sounds like the current contract is the "Staples" contract for £736.

Yes landlord can ask for £750.

If you don't want to pay the £750 you can refuse to sign the new contract. If you refuse to sign the new contract, the old Staples one continues until the landlord issues you with a Section 21 notice (which would essentially give you 2 months notice to leave).