• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Letter from Santander re. historic Evans account PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2826 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just received a letter from Santander regarding PPI on an old Evans store card I took out in the late 1990's.

I'm not sure how they found me as the account has been closed since about 2007

and I've moved address a couple of times since then, anyway this letter was a surprise to me,

i've didn't think a company would tell you they might owe you money!

Sin the late 90's I was young, and think I was in my first job when I took 3 store cards run by GE capital?

They were all taken out in-store with the assistant filling in the form for me.

In about 2001 I got into financial difficulties, and ended up with a debt management company,

who (I'm pretty sure) stopped the PPI payments, so I may have only been paying the PPI for 2-3 years at £2-3 a month (this amount is a guess).

I do have some statements for this Evans account, but only from 2004-2006,

and randomly one of them shows 'account cover premium' at £2.15,

the others only show 'interest', the balance at this time was in the £200's.

The letter I've received from Santander, says that the FCA has requested all banks to review PPI complaints that were investigated and rejected prior to Dec 2010.

It says I raised a PPI complaint in 2007, but it was rejected - I don't remember doing this at all!

apparently Santander have started to re-asses it, and they need more info.

They have enclosed a form to fill in and return, with lots of questions like:

How was the policy sold.

Did anyone recommend I took the policy.

Did I ever claim on it.

Was I working.

Did I have any health problems.

What happened when I took the policy.

I've never Sar'd Evans (GE Capital) or Santander, so don't know any figures.

Should I just fill in this form and return (any tips?), or will I need to SAR them?

I would suspect the fee paying?

DMP company tried to get the PPI back to pocket it themselves without you knowledge

you could sar to the address the letter is from.

they obv know more than you

and are phishing to see if they can minimise your poss reclaim

because you don't even know how much you actually paid.

pers I'd not be using their questionnaire

but advise then when they comply to the sar

you will forward the FOS CQ.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/ppi.html

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi DX,

Yes it was fee paying (Baines & Ernst) which I binned when I came to my senses lol ..although this was in 2004, so surely they can't have tried to claim in 2007 if I wasn't with them anymore, can they?

So, you would recommend I SAR them, but what if they come back and say they don't have anything that far back?

And what about the 28 days Santander have given me on the letter to send the form back?

oh god not them

yep that would be one of their little tricks I've heard of I bet.

sar satans bank

with ref to their letter

they know 'something'

you are entitled to all the paperwork they will rely upon to make you decisions.

yes I have heard of DMP's reclaiming PPI years after the punter finished with them.

lets see .

get that sar done

and copy the letter to them too

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

post 4 yes

dx

and they

Thanks DX.

Do you think it's also worth SARing for the other two GE Cap store cards I had, one was a dotty perkins, and the other a QVC card, not 100% I had the PPI though.

If I did, would I be able to ask them for all 3 account numbers with only one £10 fee, or would I have to do them all separate with 3 x £10?

GE is satans bank group.......

so you'll get them all

you only need ONE SAR to a 'company'....

said that before too

dx

and they

Please can I check where I need to send the SAR, the address I have on the letter is

PPI Complaints Team

PO Box 6197

Milton Keynes MK10 1UY

But there is a different one here?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?389259-SAR-Address-for-satan-s-bank-amp-GE-Money-2013-here

I said why not..

not use that address

upto you.

dx

and they

• 4 weeks later...

Received letter from Santander around 19th Apr stating they had received my SAR request on 15/4/15, and a response would be posted within 40 days (I make that around the 25th May).

Received letter from Santander today regarding the questionnaire they sent and as I hadn't returned it, they are unable to review my complaint and have closed their investigation.

I assume this can be ignored, and I can still go ahead as planned with (waiting for) my SAR, then claiming any PPI?

• 3 weeks later...

I've received the 'SAR' from Santander, there is not much, and there is info on 3 store cards: Evans, Dorothy perkins, and QVC.

The info shows application forms, and some lists of transactions. It looks like only the Evans card has the PPI section ticked when the assistant filled it in.

I don't really understand the transactions lists (see below photo), and the other only seems to list payments and interest from 2005-2006 in which case the PPI would have been cancelled by the debt management company by then anyway.

So it looks like I wasted £10 on the SAR.

I would still like to go ahead and try to claim for the PPI (that is not showing on the SAR) on the Evans card.

Is this still possible with no charges info?

follow the upload guide please

and they

• 2 weeks later...

I filled in the questionnaire with minimal details as they have all the details. They are upholding my complaint. They are paying me the rest of what's owed as I started my claim in 2009 and was paid nov 13!

Don't give up!

• 1 month later...

scan it up

dx

and they

I had exactly the same response.

I received a letter stating they were opening my old DP storecard claim,

they then rang me and asked me further questions and then once again rejected my claim.

However, they did say that I could ring them to discuss it if I wanted.

I claimed due to the following:- although it was non-advised I should have been made aware of the exclusions

and pre- existing medical conditions that it would not cover.-

their response

- they sent me details after the sale and I could have cancelled it within the 30 days

- I stated that I had pre-existing medical conditions which it would not cove

r- their response

- even though I wasnt covered for these medical conditions I could have used the other parts of the insurance.

- I stated that I wasnt told it was optional and no discussion ever took place

except it would cover me if I was ever off sick, just asked to sign here and here for the 10% discount

only when in financial difficulties in 2010 I was told that I could cancel when I rang up to see if they could help

.- their response they believe I was informed and made aware of the ppi and could have cancelled at any time.

- I work for the NHS and believe that I was covered enough by work to make payments whilst off sick

- their response was that they could not take this into account

So I think I might write to them again just to reitterate that it was missold by the following

:- I should have been made aware of any exclusions/pre existing medical conditions before signing for the ppi

- I have pre-existing medical conditions which were not covered (Depresspin/stress

)- Did not need to take out expensive insurance cover when I was appropriately covered at work

- Did not cancel earlier as when I received my statements thought it was part of the card,

and that I would have cancelled earlier when in financial difficulties.

how did you sign up?

buttonholed in a shop?

NHS or public sector worker always wins..

dx

and they

Yes, I signed up in the store. I put on the form that basically the assistant pushed me into it, they said I was more likely to get the card, I was not made aware I could have got insurance elsewhere.

should have simply put

the assistant placed ticks where to sign

nothing was said at all.

dx

and they

this is the problem with people using the scattergum approach.

rather than using one reason.

did you use the FOS CQ?

anyway this is not your thread

dx

and they

Hi Dx

Yes, I got the card and associated ppi in the shop.

In your reply you said that working for the NHS would be a good point for missale but Santandar dont seem to have the point of view at the moment going by their response

.I was hoping that having pre-existing medical problems and the exclusions not being pointed out before the card was sold would help my case but they have ignored that bit.

Just have to wait to see what their next response is going to be.