• Tweets

• I have had a secondary thought.  I borrowed £s from a completely separate entity 6y ago. It was personal and unsecured. I was going to repay upon sale of the property. But then repo and I couldn't.  Eventually they applied and got a charging order on the property.  Their lawyers wrote that if I didn't repay they may apply for an order for sale.  I'm not in control of the sale.  The lender won't agree to an order for sale.  The judge won't expedite it/ extract from trial.  Someone here on cag may or may not suggest I can apply for an order v the receiver?  But could I alternatively ask this separate entity with a c.o to carry out their threat and actually make an application to court for an order for sale v the receiver instead?
    • You left the PCN number showing, but no worries, I've redacted it. Euro Car parks are very well known to us.  I've just skimmed through the titles of the latest 100 cases we have with them (I gave up after 100) and, despite all their bluster and threats, in not one have they taken the Cagger to court. You stayed there for 2 hours &:45 minutes.  I'm guessing the limit is 2 hours and 30 minutes, right?  
    • If the claimant fails to draft directions the court can order a Case Management Hearing to set them but normally in Fast Track claims the claimant sets the directions...Unlike small claims track which are always set the court.
    • Not Evris offer, the court offers mediation service.   All claims proceed to hearing if mediation fails /not happen.   Why do you not wish to attend in person to stand your claim ?     Absolutely you must comply with the courts directions or your claim risks being struck out. Preparation for a hearing should happen irrespective of mediation.   https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/460613-suing-a-parcel-delivery-company-when-you-dont-have-a-direct-contract-with-them-–-third-party-rights-copy-of-judgment-available/#comment-5255007   Andy  
    • LPA.  (I'm fighting insolvency due to all the stuff that he and lender have done).  He appointed estate agents - (changed several times). Disclosure shows he was originally appointed for a specific reason (3m after repo) : using his powers as acting for leaseholder to serve notice on freeholders (to grab fh).  There was interest from 3 potential buyers. He chose one whose offer depended on a positive result of the notice.  Disc also shows he'd taken counsel advice - which was 'he'd fail'.  He'd simultaneously asked to resign as his job (of serving notice) was done and he'd found a buyer.  Lender asked him to stay on to assign notice to the buyer.  Notice failed, buyer didn't buy.  So receiver stayed.  There was 1 buyer who wanted to proceed w/o fh but receiver/ lender wasted 1y trying to get rid of them!  Disc shows why. But I didn't know why at the time. In later months Lender voiced getting rid of receiver. Various reasons - including cost.  But there's a contradiction/ irony: as I've seen an email (of 4y ago) which shows the receiver telling lender not to incur significant costs and to minimize receiver costs.    Yet lender then asked him to serve another notice - again counsel advice indicated 'he'd fail'.  And he did fail.  But wasted 3y trying and incurred huge legal costs - lender trying to pass on to me. Lender interfered - said wanted to do works.  Receiver should have said no.  But disc. shows he agreed to step aside to let them do the works - on proviso lender would discuss potential costs first (they didn't), works wouldn't take long (took 15m), and lender would hold interest (they didn't) (this last point is crucial for me now - as I need to know if I can argue that all interest beyond this point shouldnt be allowed?)   I need to check receiver witness statement in litigation with freeholders to see exactly what he said about 'his position'. But I remember it being along the lines of - 'if the works increased the value of the property he didn't have a problem'.  Lender/ receiver real problems started at this point. The cost of works and 4y passage of time has meant there is no real increase in value. Lender (or receiver) didn't get any permissions (statutory or fh) (and didn't tell me) and just bulldozed the property to an empty shell.  The freeholders served notice on me as leaseholder for breach of covenants (strict no alterations).  The Lender stepped in (acting for me) to issue notice for relief of forfeiture - not the receiver.  That wasted 2y of litigation (3y if inc the works) and incurred huge costs (both sides).  Lender's aim was to do the works that every potential buyer balked at due to the lease restrictions.  Lender and receiver knew couldn't do works w/o fh permission. Lender did them anyway; receiver allowed.  Receiver remained appointed.  I'm arguing lender interfered in receiver duties.  Receiver should have just sold property 4-5y ago w/o allowing any works.  Almost 3y since works finished the property remains unsold (>5y from repo). The property looks brand new - but it was great before.  The lender spent a ton of money - hoping that would facilitate a quick sale.  But the money they spent and the years they have wasted has meant they had to increase sale price.  It's now completely overpriced.  And - of course - the same issues that put buyers off (before works) still exist.   The receiver has tried for 2y to assert the works increased value. But he is relying on agents estimates - which have proved highly speculative. (Usual trick of an agent to give a high value to get the business - and then tell seller to reduce when no-one buys.). And of course lender continues to accrue interest (despite 4y ago receiver saying pause interest). Lender tried to persuade receiver to use specific agent. Disc shows this agent was best friends with the lender's main investor in the property.  Before works this agent had valued it low.  After works this agent suggested a value 70% higher!  The lender persuaded receiver to sack one agent and instead use this agent.  No offers. (Price way too high).   Research has uncovered that this main investor has since died.  I guess his investment is part of probate? And his family want it back?    Disc shows the sacked agent had actually received a high offer 1y ago.  Receiver rejected it.  (thus I don't know if the buyer would have ever proceeded). He was relying on the high speculative valuation the agents had given him to pitch for the business. The agents were in a catch-22.  The receiver sacked them. Disc shows there has been 0 interest ever since (inc via new agent requested by lender). I don't think lender or receiver want all this to come out in public domain via a trial.  It will ruin their reputations. If I can't get an order for sale with lender - can I apply separately against receiver?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2789 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just seen this thread. Had exactly the same thing when I was at Ingeus; they wanted to do mock interviews with video. They thought us poor, thick unemployed would think it was mandatory but we were a clued-up bunch and ALL of us said 'No chance - and if you try it we'll report you for taking our personal data - ie the videos - without our freely-given consent as required by the Data Protection Act 1998.'

The tutor dropped the subject immediately. :) In fact he dropped the whole mock interview thing too.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

without our freely-given consent as required by the Data Protection Act 1998.'

Well thank you so much for the info, so basically I can use the data protection act to prevent them from videoing me unless I freely give my consent, which would not be the case if I am mandated to comply, I really hope this is my get out clause so I can wipe the smug face of my advisor who adamantly told me I have participate else I would be sanctioned.

trebormoinet: You can not be mandated to give up your rights, so use the freely given informed consent line, and if they demand it, lodge a formal complaint with the DWP. It is the DWP that are the registered data controller for all Work Programme providers, so they would have to take the rap from the ICO if it got that far.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Forgive my ignorance on such things but I am confused as to how I can use the data protection act to prevent them from mandating me to undertake a mock video interview if the only use of it is to replay it to me, then destroy it, I can see where it might be relevant if the recording would be stored and or used in other ways, but for the the purpose they intend I cannot fathom how the data protection act would apply, unless the fact they are recording it can be construed as processing collecting?

I can see absolutely nothing wrong with asking you to do this and if it is reviewed with you and you are given advice on how to modify your interview technique it might even help you get a job.

Then you care nothing about informed consent and Article 8 ECHR

We may not agree to some of the articles, but start redacting parts and where do you stop?. They are there exactly for the reasons outlined, to stop politicians playing with basic human right of individual choice for political gain

Then you care nothing about informed consent and Article 8 ECHR

We may not agree to some of the articles, but start redacting parts and where do you stop?. They are there exactly for the reasons outlined, to stop politicians playing with basic human right of individual choice for political gain

Tell me why it interferes with Article 8 rights,:

Article 8 – Right to respect for private and family life

1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

How is his "private and family life, his home and his correspondence" being disrespected?

In what way is helping him find a job not "necessary" for the "economic well-being of the country". Something is obviously stopping him/her from getting a job, maybe it is interview technique. From what OP says the purpose in recording the mock interview is to review with the OP and offer help with interview skills, there is no plan to use it in any other way.

There is no more enthusiastic advocate for the ECHR than me but convention rights are not being interfered with here.

Yes they are

I was threatened with a sanction if i did not give the Job centre advisor my password for access to my Universal Jobs Match website which i was mandated to set up

You cannot be forced to give such personal data with a threat of any possible sanction by any member state unless required by law for the protection and detection of crime

Your image being recorded is personal and belongs to you alone.

There can be no Margin of Appreciation or Derogation on this as it is informed consent

Afraid that is wrong as a matter of law, the Article itself defines those circumstances in which Article 8 rights may be interfered with:

"such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others."

The law is in place to permit mandatory requirements of claimants and it is necessary for the economic well-being of the country that as many people as possible should be in employment. (The purposes for which Article 8 may be interfered with are NOT limited to the prevention and detection of crime.

That would be the argument I would run anyhow, were I to be acting for the DWP.

I am simply trying to say that it is "against Human Rights" is not enough.

I would not go there if i were you

I took my complaint Direct to the Information Commissionaires office who agreed with my logic

The only information and compliance the claimant has to give is what is specified in law, no more

Take the so called compulsory access to your Universal Jobs Match account by the benefit advisor

That is why it gives you the choice to allow them access or not when you sign up for the account to allow third party access. It is not compulsory

From a Freedom of Information Request

I would like you to advise about it's privacy

policy/terms of service/use. Since, those who use the Universal Job Match are given the option

NOT TO SHARE information with the job centre plus, etc;

Access to your Universal Jobmatch account is only available to DWP staff once you have

given your consent; this is on a voluntary basis.

Well I am still non the wiser, I will say where is the law that requires its citizens to undergo mock video interviews in order to gain employment unless I have misinterpreted

2. There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law.

and regard to

1. Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life.

A definition I have found states, respect:

have due regard for (someone's feelings, wishes, or rights).

My wishes and feelings have not been taken into consideration so I would argue that point.

I feel this would fall under the data protection act that the mere act of recording could be interpreted as processing and collection even if destroyed immediately so would require my consent, unless they did it covertly.

As for the benefit of the countries economy IDS would be employing electric shock therapy if depression was a barrier to work and at the moment that is not the case, a bit of a wild analogy lol

But we are not talking about access to a computer account, so what the ICO had to say about that is irrelevant.

We are not talking about access to any information, we are talking about a job search skill.

I give up

For someone who is obviously intelligent you refuse to accept any link with the two subjects being debated

That is Data Processing and the Data Protection Act 1998

I will now withdraw and comment no more as we have reached an impasse

Righto so far I have concluded rightly or wrongly that

My image is classed as personal data / information.

In order to process my personal information IE record a mock interview it would require my consent.

The data protection act states:

Except under the below mentioned exceptions, the individual needs to consent to the collection of their personal information and its use in the purpose(s) in question. The European Data Protection Directive defines consent as “…any freely given specific and informed indication of his wishes by which the data subject signifies his agreement to personal data relating to him being processed”, meaning the individual may signify agreement other than in writing. However, non-communication should not be interpreted as consent

The list of exceptions is quite long but I cannot find anything relevant to my situation:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/part/IV

So maybe my first action should be an Email to my advisor stating I do not give my consent to be recorded in a mock interview just so they cannot imply I gave verbal consent.

Turn the situation around; if you went into the WP offices with a video camera and started recording them, you can bet your life they would very quickly start quoting the Data Protection Act to try and make you stop.

Apart for said Data Protection issues, it's a completely pointless exercise to video mock interviews as they're always held in front of the whole class anyway, who can see exactly what you might be doing right or wrong and can discuss it afterwards. No need whatsoever for any physical recorded evidence.

..plus,the whole idea of mock interviews is to represent a real-life interview situation. I've had countless interviews in my lifetime and not once has any employer used video cameras to record the interview. I imagine nobody here has ever been video recorded during a real interview either. Use that against them.

it's a completely pointless exercise to video mock interviews as they're always held in front of the whole class anyway

Cripes it gets worse, I presumed they would be held in private due to the fact I might be disclosing personal information during the interview.

In a way it assumes I am not self aware enough to know my own foibles but the fact of the matter is I am all to well aware of my self and do not require video evidence.

Cripes it gets worse, I presumed they would be held in private due to the fact I might be disclosing personal information during the interview.

If these mock interviews are held in public, make sure you are the first in line. Announce loudly that you will not be discussing personal information in front of unauthorised individuals nor do you wish to have proceedings recorded. Sit back and watch the session descend in to chaos.

Your interpretation of the DPA is spot on. Print this out along with a reference to the full text of the act and hand it to your "adviser".

the dreaded work programme again! god these providers really think they can get away with anything.. I have just started my work programme, but hopefully I will be starting a P/T job soon so I havnt got as far as mock interviews, esp in public, I have a slight stammer, and its worse with public speaking, so I would of really got stressed about that, I hope you can get out of it, they have no right to treat the unemployed the way they do

If these mock interviews are held in public, make sure you are the first in line. Announce loudly that you will not be discussing personal information in front of unauthorised individuals nor do you wish to have proceedings recorded. Sit back and watch the session descend in to chaos.

Your interpretation of the DPA is spot on. Print this out along with a reference to the full text of the act and hand it to your "adviser".

Ok thanks Mr.P for confirming that I am on the right track, it makes me realise just why lawyers demand sky high fees, for me anyways legal jargon is just verbal diarrhea I can grasp parts then my eyes start to bleed, it is so easy to misinterpret such things.

I am reading up as much as I can about the subject because I still feel I am on slightly shaky ground but in this thread Jasta has first hand experience of the subject and they accepted it would require consent, so unless the manager / advisor did not feel up to forcing the issue or was just to lazy to bother I should be able to report next week after seeing my advisor that no I cannot be forced to undertake a video interview, alternatively I am going to be handing around the begging bowl lol.

I would probably try to compromise with them. Tell them you're quite happy to take part in a one on one interview, but do not feel comfortable having it recorded.

I like to give my WP provider their little victories now and then, so agreed to having a mock interview. Mine wasn't recorded though, that would definitely have been a step too far! The fact the so called interview was held in the middle of an open plan office was bad enough however.

You can also have a little fun with these things as well though. I made sure I had plenty of hard to answer questions for them at the end of the interview, turn the tables and make them squirm a little bit :)

I would probably try to compromise with them. Tell them you're quite happy to take part in a one on one interview, but do not feel comfortable having it recorded.)

Yes, I wasn't saying refuse the actual mock interview, just the video recording bit. Always be aware that you have to be seen to be participating and making an effort in any 'reasonable' request by the WP so as LazyToucan says try and meet them halfway then nobody can say you're not showing willing.

While with Ingeus I was sub-contracted to another WP for a few weeks who were absolutely great and treated their customers very well indeed - total opposite if Ingeus. We had mock interviews there but they didn't try and record people and they were done with a lot of fun and messing about. It needn't be a bad experience..but you still want to go first and get it out the way then you can sit and laugh at everyone else. :)

"Customers"??

Can you believe this speak??

If I am a customer, then I expect to be addressed as Sir at all times.:madgrin:

I did say to them I am happy to do the mock interview, my main issue is they want to record it.

I actually spent 2 years working for a theatre group putting on shows to various groups such as schools hospitals etc so I have no issue with acting out a mock interview my only problem is deciding who to be on the day, mr perfect I understood the superSTAR workshop look how good am I am ready for your candidate pool or the omg what am I doing here ive dried up I cannot answer a thing no wonder I haven't found work yet back to the workshop we cannot consider you ready for the candidate pool yet.

When they mention the candidate pool the name that crops up the most is the 99p stores with a guarantee of a minimum 12 hours work , so getting onto the candidate pool is certainly worth the effort ( insert sarcasm)

When they mention the candidate pool the name that crops up the most is the 99p stores with a guarantee of a minimum 12 hours work

Is this 12 hours of paid work, or another Poundland type "work experience" sc_m ?

With many stores planning Christmas staffing, I take these "candidate pools" with a large bag of salt at this time of year.