Carer steals my savings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My carer stole £21'750 [twenty one thousand seven hundred and fifty pounds] when I withdrew it on her advice to pay bills

cash being more attractive economic relationship to her.

She admitted most of it to the police who are considering charging her but have taken two months with no result

or charge apparent yet and dither when I ask for information on progress.

I seek help to take a private prosecution and court action to retrieve my savings but now obviously strapped for cash.

Does anyone have a similar experience with a successful solicitor on a no win fee basis and potential solution to egg on the police such as precedents?

I live in London.

Hope to resolve this asap as the bills are mounting up to pay the new help.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

This sounds awful and I'm surprised that the police don't seem to be doing much. I'll flag your thread for the site team and expect that other forum members will be along later.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Is this a private care company or council employee ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Im not sure a private prosecution is required, surely a simple civil claim would suffice ?, although this would prob need a criminal conviction first. The wheels of justice turn slowly.

You would if thought the police would prosecute and strip her of what she has gained from her crime

Youcould bring your own proceedings against her as there is assets it makes enforcement more likley

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

My carer stole £21'750 [twenty one thousand seven hundred and fifty pounds] when I withdrew it on her advice to pay bills

cash being more attractive economic relationship to her.

She admitted most of it to the police who are considering charging her but have taken two months with no result

or charge apparent yet and dither when I ask for information on progress.

I seek help to take a private prosecution and court action to retrieve my savings but now obviously strapped for cash.

Does anyone have a similar experience with a successful solicitor on a no win fee basis and potential solution to egg on the police such as precedents?

I live in London.

Hope to resolve this asap as the bills are mounting up to pay the new help.

Can we look at this from the carer's point of view (or, at least, how they might avoid criminal liability)

How did they actually gain possession or use of the money?

Did you give them cash?

Did you pay bills for them?

What if they say "these were gifts" or "this money was in exchange for care services rendered"?

More detail as to how they came by the money is needed in order to give a reliable answer, surely?

What is your main aim?

Any secondary aims??

If "to see them punished" / with a criminal record, then consider prosecution, but

a) the standard of proof is "guilty beyond all reasonable doubt" of the offence charged

(So, for example, for theft, all they need do is introduce reasonable doubt of dishonest intent, and acquittal should follow).

A successful criminal prosecution should mean (if they have recoverable assists!) you get your money back.

To "get your money back"? If you aren't bothered by a prosecution then a civil case has the advantage of only requiring you show your case "on balance of probabilities" rather than "beyond reasonable doubt".

If you gave them money (rather than paid them in exchange for a service) : could you show they owed you a "fiduciary duty" that they then breached?

Thanks for your reply. The cash was hidden in storage boxes in the bottom of a cupboard and only two of us living in the apartment at the time of the last theft of £15k which she admitted taking when I found the money missing.

On previous occasions during 2014 she kept quiet or when confronted about missing monies and blamed others for the theft of money missing. Total missing is at least £21,750

She said she had taken the last amount(nearly £15k) for a loan and was going to put it back in a few days which turned to weeks and months with excuses each day and lots of mental attacks, bullying. tears and emotional blackmail threatening to ruin me if I told anyone.

I finally called the police and she admitted taking it to them but saying it was a loan which I told the police it was theft as no agreement was made until I found the money missing and she had then negotiated promises of immediate repayment.

This repayment promise was followed by excuses of people having my money not returning it or being ill and to support this story she used the names of all of her family ex-husband and friends one by one as each day passed.

Can these family and friends be called as witnesses for the prosecution to contradict her lies?

How did they actually gain possession or use of the money? stole the cash from boxes stored in my cupboard in the apartment.

Did you give them cash? I paid a substantial weekly sum around £200 to her via her bank account and recorded each transaction as her employer so as a carer meant with no rent or other bills this was more than sufficient and I gave her around £20,000 extra from my own income to cover all house bills and her belongings.

Did you pay bills for them? She stayed with me rent and bill free since she has her own home elsewhere.

What if they say "these were gifts" or "this money was in exchange for care services rendered"? I took the statement at the time of discovery saying she took the money and would repay it back. She destroyed the evidence but I kept scanned copy.

In my opinion this is not the first [problem] she has done with vulnerable men as she was very thorough with the police making very plausible defences such as we are lovers and getting married, etc, in her statement to the police and some of which you allude to, but I think she has made some mistakes and been caught out as her statements contradict facts over time.

Edited by Bigwilliam

Thanks for your reply. The cash was hidden in storage boxes in the bottom of a cupboard and only two of us living in the apartment at the time of the last theft of £15k which she admitted taking when I found the money missing.

On previous occasions during 2014 she kept quiet or when confronted about missing monies and blamed others for the theft of money missing. Total missing is at least £21,750

She said she had taken the last amount(nearly £15k) for a loan and was going to put it back in a few days which turned to weeks and months with excuses each day and lots of mental attacks, bullying. tears and emotional blackmail threatening to ruin me if I told anyone.

I finally called the police and she admitted taking it to them but saying it was a loan which I told the police it was theft as no agreement was made until I found the money missing and she had then negotiated promises of immediate repayment.

This repayment promise was followed by excuses of people having my money not returning it or being ill and to support this story she used the names of all of her family ex-husband and friends one by one as each day passed.

Can these family and friends be called as witnesses for the prosecution to contradict her lies?

How did they actually gain possession or use of the money? stole the cash from boxes stored in my cupboard in the apartment.

Did you give them cash? I paid a substantial weekly sum around £200 to her via her bank account and recorded each transaction as her employer so as a carer meant with no rent or other bills this was more than sufficient and I gave her around £20,000 extra from my own income to cover all house bills and her belongings.

Did you pay bills for them? She stayed with me rent and bill free since she has her own home elsewhere.

What if they say "these were gifts" or "this money was in exchange for care services rendered"? I took the statement at the time of discovery saying she took the money and would repay it back. She destroyed the evidence but I kept scanned copy.

In my opinion this is not the first [problem] she has done with vulnerable men as she was very thorough with the police making very plausible defences such as we are lovers and getting married, etc, in her statement to the police and some of which you allude to, but I think she has made some mistakes and been caught out as her statements contradict facts over time.

OK, so she blames someone else for the 6k+ going missing in 2014, and then a further 15k+ has gone?

What if she says "6k wasn't me. He can't have had proof who it was or else he'd have reported me to the police."

Follow that with "with 6k+ having gone missing, there is no way he would have left 15k lying around to just go missing again: this was an agreed loan, with him knowing I was taking the money, as a loan"

First 6k : no proof it was her

Next 15k: no proof it wasn't a loan.

I'd be wary of a private prosecution (costs!!) without you seeking independent legal advice. Sadly, if she has done this before, you also may find that she had ensured she doesn't have assets you can easily recover?

Annoying as it may seem there is little point in seeking to recover assets if she doesn't hold them ; you "can't get blood from a stone"

How did you come to employ her?

Has she been CRB checked?

Is the £20k you gave her for bills part of the money that's missing?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thought I read she owns property?

The OP states that he thinks she has done this before.

If she is skilled in this the assets held in the UK may have little or no equity, or be held by others.

The OP needs to be sure she has recoverable assets or may end up with a Pyrrhic victory.

I trust you are no longer hiding money in boxes in the cupboard ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D