shoplifting primark scotland| Police called, **UPDATE Clean CRB Clean visa check**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2931 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I was apprehended by security in primark yesterday after I left the shop. I went back into the detention room and he searched my bag. He brought out the items I hadn't paid for and called the police on me.

I really do not have an excuse for this and I am greatly ashamed. I panicked and started crying and apologizing, even agreed to pay the £95, now I don't know how that value came by because I did some exchange and paid some money via my card, I was too distraught to challenge it but that is not even the problem.

The security man collected my provisional driver's license, wrote down my details and passed it on to the police men when they arrived. One of the cops went with the security man while the other sat with me.

I wouldn't exactly call it an interview, he questioned me gently and went through the things I had which were all baby clothes (I have a 2, month old)

I told him I needed to call to make sure my baby was alright but he said I could only do that at the station. I broke down into tears again and he offered to call my mum who was watching my kids and tell her I was with the police but well and fine. I declined this offer cos I didn't want my mum to know anything about what was going on. She would have been very disappointed.

The process seemed to be dragging and I told the cop I needed to be home to breastfeeding my baby, he said I would have to go in with them and it was going to take a few hours. I started crying again, he asked if I had ever had a run in with the police and I said no.

He said the only help he could offer if my trace came back clean was to call his sergeant and get clearance for him not to take me into the station so I could get home soon.

Now, so many little processes were followed by primarily staff, such as refunding my money, giving back my exchange... But they were all a blur as I was in a state by then.

The police took my children's date of birth and said they were going to pass it on to ss to make sure they were all right and I could get a visit or not. I refused to do this at first cos they are innocent in all this.

Secondly, I was taken into the van and heard him call his sergeant and said something about caution or process on the street, I'm not sure of the exact words. He read me my rights and basically said I won't be taken to court if I pleaded guilty. Which I did. What is this street processing or caution? Will it go on my records for life?

3rd, primark gave me a printout saying I should expect civil recovery. Again what and how will this be handled.

Lastly, I was taken home by the police, they wanted to make sure my kids were ok, I requested that they wait in the hallway cos of my mum. He agreed to wait outside the door but held the door open with his feet. I brought them to him and they left.

I have been unable to sleep and I've berated myself for this foolish act. What a great price to pay for something so silly.

Sorry this is a long post, I wanted to include as much details as I can.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly DO NOT worry about RLP, (retail loss protection, civil recovery)

You CAN ignore any letters they send you, if you get any, then pop back here and a suitable response to her will be drafted up for you

telling her (RLP) that you will be paying zero as it was dealt with by the Police.

As for the 'street caution' you were 'processed on the street' which simply means they haven't got to spend time taking you

to the station & booking you in etc, they do it verbally on the street and let you go, this will be placed on your criminal record, so

if they catch you doing it again, then they will know about it when they do their PNC (police national computer) check.

Forget it now, it's done, it's over, learn from it, you were dealt with by the police and that is the last of it.

RLP, or the civil recovery can do absolutely diddly squat, if you paid money to the security clown, then this in all likelihood

went straight into their pocket, you could if you wish, make a formal complaint about this, however I would wait and see if RLP

rear their ugly head begging for more money you don't owe them, then you'll know if it was pocketed or not.

Lastly, have you spoken with your doctor regarding this?

You might need a bit of medical advice if this is out of character, and with just having a new born, could be a bout of post

natal depression?

However what do I know? A single forty something male!!

If RLP do send you one of their threat letters then pop back.

Edited by Bazooka Boo
Write out 100x ADVICE!!!
  • Haha 1

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I agree with Bazooka Boo, I think you might benefit from a visit to your GP - it sounds like you could be suffering from Post Natal depression which can be treated :)

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

On another thread regarding similar circumstances, silverfox commented that the letter they give you regarding civil recovery,

is also full of untruths and lies, so don't read anything into it!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi and welcome to CAG.

I have to confess I know next to nothing regarding the law in Scotland so i will leave that to the others.

As for RLP, BB (above) has spelt it out very clearly.

If you are able, can you post up a copy of the printout that the security guard gave you but if it includes any personal details, please obscure them. I am collecting copies of everything RLP pretend to be legal. If it is the one I suspect it is, it is full of bovine excrement.

Do not respond in any way to RLP or whichever pet debt collector of the day they choose to use. No power, nothing. The pretend they are doing this work to deter crime but without crime, their business model would fold overnight and then where would the boss get her flash cars from :madgrin:

• Haha 1

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I suspect it is this (or similar) Only section one can be said to have any resemblance to reality.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Silverfox, that's the exact letter I was given.

I didn't complete my post earlier because I had to attend to my baby.

A lot of what happened yesterday was foggy and the security officers said different things about it as well.

One of them said I concealed the clothes, while another said I took them at the customer service desk. The area was deserted with only one cashier, I didn't want to hold up the line while I was looking for the receipt for the items I wanted to exchange, so I put my things on the desk and emptied my bag and basket, the cashier told me she could do an unreceipted exchange if I couldn't find it. Here is where I am confused as to how the clothes got into my bag as he claims I added it to the things I was refunding while the other said I concealed them. I know I'm rambling but I'm just remembering some details and I'm trying to process it myself.

I was told to admit to theft to avoid them calling the police which I did. They found the clothes with me anyway so it would have been hard to say otherwise.

My husband wants us to go into Primark to see the manager and explain I have no idea how it happened and perhaps have them review the cctv footage. He wants to do this for my peace of mind cos I've been in pieces since yesterday. Do you think this is a good idea? I now cringe at the thought of going to the shops talk less of primark.

Re the caution, will it affect my chances of securing a job in the future. I plan to go bac theto work when my children are a bit older. I was formerly in customer service in the finance sector.

Will the police be contacting me regarding a fine?

Also what effect will it have on my immigration applications when the time comes for the family to renew our visa. We are all dependants on my husband's work permit.

The most worrying is that of social service. Honestly I'm not sure if he did say so, but I've convinced myself overnight that he did otherwise why would he takes their details.

I am yet to go for my 6 weeks post natal check. I will discuss this with the Gp as I forgot so many things about yesterday and they are only just coming back to me. That being said, that might have been to the fact that I was very distraught.

So many questions I know, but I will be able to deal with it better mentally if I can get as much answers as I can.

This has never happened which makes it all the more worrisome.

I will do my best to answer based on my limited knowledge of Scottish Law

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Silverfox, that's the exact letter I was given.

I didn't complete my post earlier because I had to attend to my baby.

A lot of what happened yesterday was foggy and the security officers said different things about it as well.

One of them said I concealed the clothes, while another said I took them at the customer service desk. The area was deserted with only one cashier, I didn't want to hold up the line while I was looking for the receipt for the items I wanted to exchange, so I put my things on the desk and emptied my bag and basket, the cashier told me she could do an unreceipted exchange if I couldn't find it. Here is where I am confused as to how the clothes got into my bag as he claims I added it to the things I was refunding while the other said I concealed them. I know I'm rambling but I'm just remembering some details and I'm trying to process it myself.

This part requires examination. You have no idea of how they got into your bag? This may have been a simple error on your part. i.e, distracted.

I was told to admit to theft to avoid them calling the police which I did. They found the clothes with me anyway so it would have been hard to say otherwise.

But then they called the police anyway. How nice of them. What was the £95 for? Shopping?

My husband wants us to go into Primark to see the manager and explain I have no idea how it happened and perhaps have them review the cctv footage. He wants to do this for my peace of mind cos I've been in pieces since yesterday. Do you think this is a good idea? I now cringe at the thought of going to the shops talk less of primark.

Primark won't care which is why they have the security staff and RLP to do the dirty work for them

Re the caution, will it affect my chances of securing a job in the future. I plan to go bac theto work when my children are a bit older. I was formerly in customer service in the finance sector.

While I cannot be sure of where this stands in relation to criminal offences and a criminal record, you may need to explain your actions to any boss as your work is in the financial sector and they like their staff to be squeaky clean.

Will the police be contacting me regarding a fine?

If this was just a caution then it is unlikely but you will have to wait for them to decide

Also what effect will it have on my immigration applications when the time comes for the family to renew our visa. We are all dependants on my husband's work permit.

Minor crimes don't normally affect visas but the rules can change dependent on the mood of the minister at the time. You should disclose this anyway when it comes up for renewal

The most worrying is that of social service. Honestly I'm not sure if he did say so, but I've convinced myself overnight that he did otherwise why would he takes their details.

The police have a duty of care so they may contact SS but this is likely to be a simple follow up to ensure the chils is looked after properly. I think the police office saw something in your behaviour at the time to suspect you have post natal depression.

I am yet to go for my 6 weeks post natal check. I will discuss this with the Gp as I forgot so many things about yesterday and they are only just coming back to me. That being said, that might have been to the fact that I was very distraught.

Absolutely bring this up with the gp. once a diagnosis is confirmed, this will help you deal a bit better than you are now. I would be making an appointment before the 6 week check

So many questions I know, but I will be able to deal with it better mentally if I can get as much answers as I can.

This has never happened which makes it all the more worrisome.

I have tried to be as factual as I can based on the knowledge I have (not a lot)

Deal with yourself first, get sorted and then we can deal with RLP later.

The £95 was the cost of exchange using the clothes I didn't pay for, again this figure is ridiculous as I paid at the till and had an unreceipted exchange. I eventually found the receipt but they collected everything from me.

I wasn't made to sign anything re the caution, however, I would pay for an enhanced check to ser where I stand. How long do you think I should give it to see if its on my records?

I understand him wanting to check the children's welfare. He seemed to be satisfied after he saw them. No further questions and they left immediately. Also don't remember them saying anything about further contact.

I will be seeing to my mental health as adviced and will keep updating as necessary.

Thank you all for your help. I feel a bit better now, even though I can't stop tearing up whenever I remember details of it.

Time is a great healer (as well as happy pills and therapy :madgrin: )

I know this will be hard for you for now but try and put it out of your mind. From what you say, the police have dealt with you and that matter may be finished.

RLP is easier to deal with so when the letters come, let us know and we can tell you to ignore some more.

My very best wishes. :-)

Time is a great healer (as well as happy pills and therapy :madgrin: )

I know this will be hard for you for now but try and put it out of your mind. From what you say, the police have dealt with you and that matter may be finished.

RLP is easier to deal with so when the letters come, let us know and we can tell you to ignore some more.

My very best wishes. :-)

Thank you once more. I sure will post here when the letter arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I got the letter from rlp last week. It seems like the usual but there's an extra FAQ list attached. It has a line that says "this is not a speculative invoice".

I'm a bit worried about this because someone here used that same phrase speculative invoice. Has anything changed since I was last here re ignoring RLP or have they just been monitoring this site?

I've attached the letter I received and the FAQ list.

Kindly go through and let me know if I should ignore as previously advised or otherwise.

Thanks

Edited by afteradvice1

Rlp monitor this site and in other cases have mentioned to pple to ignore cag.

IT MOST DEFINATLY IS A SPECULATIVE INVOICE

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Oh wow. Nice FAQs not withstanding they are total bowlarks.

I wonder if CAG are having a serious affect on their bottom line. I do hope so. :lol:

I also noted on the FAQs that they only process data whilst dealing with this claim then securely destroy it.

This is a serious divergence from their usual practice of storing peoples data on a 'dishonest persons database'

I would bet they can't justify it to the ICO as they have not (to my knowledge anyway) used the database to prevent

or detect crime which was the ONLY grounds they possibly had for storing the data.

I sound a bit like a broken record when I keep saying this. RLP cannot take anyone to court! Only the retailer can do this and they don't seem to bother anymore.

As for people offering advice on CAG, I have in my possession a letter from RLP which will amaze you when I find it.

This letter perfectly sums up RLPs attitude to CAG.

Perfectly OK to continue ignoring.

The only time to respond is IF court papers turn up but to the best of my knowledge Primark have taken precisely zero people to court.

what will happen if I ignore your correspondence - bugger all bar you'll get more scary letters...!!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

This letter perfectly sums up RLPs attitude to CAG.

That puerile missive is hilarious, you can just imagine them typing it up on their speak & spell

getting all the more frustrated that they have to continually look in the dictionary for words they

only hear adults say.

RLP what a joke!

God that letter still winds me up. It is nothing more than the ramblings of a deluded mind, whose primary intention is to protect an (until recently) lucrative revenue stream.

This too from somebody who was getting her (clearly unintelligent and uneducated) staff to register for the site posing as people who had received letters and who had ignored them only to receive Court judgments. Sadly they didn't think to mask their identities.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

thank you.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

used to have a direct email for rlp's legal team, might see if it still works and ask a few questions

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: