Hoist/cohen claimform - santander Credit Card 'debt' fast track Allocation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have received a N149B (notice of proposed allocation to the Fast Track)

from the county court business centre with a questionnaire attached to complete and return.

We must reply by the 27th April,

the debt is for a Sandander Loan taken out in Oct 2006,

but we have received a Claim from Hoist Portfoilio Holding (Solicitor Howard, Cohen and Co).

I replied to the Claim on moneyclaim, and also wrote to Howard Cohen with the Status Barred letter.

How to I need to act as regards to the N149B??? I am completely in the dark now

Thank you

Molley

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you have already received a claim through MCOL (Money Claim Online), Yes ?

You acknowledged the claim and submitted a defence, yes ? Did your defence advise that the debt was statute barred ?

You have now received notice that the claim is being dealt with at a higher level. This means that the amount being pursued is over £10,000 or complicated.

We would need more information in order to advise further.

You say the Loan was taken out in 2006. Was it a secured/unsecured loan. When did you cease payments. Did you receive a Default Notice or Termination Notice ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hiya

We received the N1CPA Claim from the County Court Business Centre through the post and responded Via moneyclaim was an unsecured loan for £20,000 taken out in 2006, we made payments then due to circumstances couldn't keep the payments up. The last payment we made was in November 2008.

I wrote to Howard Cohen on 20th Feb saying that we were not paying the debt because it is statute barred but have had no further correspondence from them.

Thanks

Can you please post up exactly what you said when you submitted your defence ?

What was the date of issue on the claim form ?

Unfortunately, just because you made the last payment in November 2008 - that doesn't mean the debt is statute barred. Previously we would have advised that the SB clock started from the first payment missed.. so that would have been December 2008. However, there has been considerable discussion on this point as to when the cause of action actually is.

Did you enter into any discussion with the lender regarding your inability to make payments ?

Did they send you a Default Notice that gave you a date by which you had to pay any arrears after which time if you hadn't made any payment then they would have the right to take further action... eg sell the account, terminate the account, report to credit agencies or issue a claim ?

If they sent you a DN any time up to say, February 2009 then you might be able to claim Statute barred.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The date on the claim form was 19th Feb 2015. I cant remember what I said in my defence to moneyclaim, but the letter I sent to Howard Cohen & Co is as follows

You have contacted us regarding the account which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that under the limitation act 1980 section 5 an action founded on simple contract shall not be brought after the expiration of six years from the date on which the cause of action is accured.

We would also point out that the OFT say under their debt collection guidance on statute barred debt that it is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant period.

The last acknowledgment or payment of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time.

unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from us in the relevant period under section 5 of the limitation act we suggest the you are no longer able to take any court action against us to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt collection guidance states further that continuing to press for payment after a debt has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment contrary to section 40 (1) of the administration of justice act 1970.

We await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I am sure that we would have had a default notice at some point,

Regards

Molley

Did you say in your defence that it was statute barred ?

I doubt very much you will be able to access your MCOL account now as it is likely the claim has been assigned to a court.

If you can, try and have a peek at your credit files, see if there is a default date on this particular account.

BCOBS

It is my understanding that Judges are still allowing the first missed payment as the cause of action. From the information you have provided then the claimant had at least 2 months to issue a default notice it isn't your fault that they delayed doing this.

unless they (claimant) can prove that the default Notice was only issued March/April or even May then they may try to argue the cause of action rule.

Invariably most DJ,s view limitations on last payment/acknowledgment and 6 years...not whether the OC was late in serving a Default Notice...their fault.

HTH.

BCOBS

If the debt is not being reported on your credit file, then I would say that it is past it's sell by date so to speak.

It might well be worth trying one of the others.. Experian or Equifax I think do a 30 day free trial. So as long as you make sure you cancel within the 30 days then you wont have to pay.

:)

BCOBS

Time to get back to that N181 then Molley and get it submitted.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Thanks going to tackle it today fingers crossed - thanks ever so much for your support

Thanks going to tackle it today fingers crossed - thanks ever so much for your support

Hiya Andyy sorry to bother you but what reason should I put in D2 that I beleive the case to be Statute barred thanks

Also do I need to write to Howard Cohen asking for evidence of payment or contact from us, thanks

Hiya Andy

Sorry to bother you but what reason should I put in D2 on the N181 "That I beleive the case to be statute barred, thanks also do I need to write to Howard Cohen asking for evidence of payment or any contact that I may have with them - thanks every so much

If the claim is statute barred and you are 100% sure and have proof then opt for Small Claims Track...

At A Mediation state ....no in the box just below state your reason ... " the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980.Should the claimant contend that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

At D2 State....Small Claim.Track.... and in the box state ..." The debt is now statute barred.It does not require Fast Track Allocation."

Regards

Andy

If you have stated in your defence that its statute barred..then that's what you go with ...this is allocation stage now.

If you are not sure then a different type of defence should have been submitted......but you only came to us at DQ stage.