Self employed - need to claim - help!

lampini

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, thanks for any help/advice in advance!

I've been working as a lighting tech (theatre, corporate events, music events - self employed) for 20 years.

Last year, at the age of 49 I started to suffer with arthritis in my knees. This means that, whilst I can no longer do 10-22 hour shifts entailing heavy lifting, carrying 18+kg up ladders and suchlike - I am not disabled "enough" to get any sort of disability benefits. I have been applying for more managerial positions with no luck. Apparently this amount of experience doesn't count for much!

So i've also started to apply for pretty much anything with no joy so far..

My work has gradually tailed off until now I need some help.

I have always paid class 2 contributions.

My questions are:

I THINK I'm entitled to income based JSA and HB, am I right?

I really need some help in re-writing my cv - can I get this through the Job Centre?

Should I visit my doctor and get some evidence for the arthritis, will they try and force me into a heavy manual labour job?

I have the first interview on Wednesday and I'm pretty apprehensive!

Any advice much appreciated..

Hi Lampini

Check out one of the Benefit Calculator sites see what you may be entitled to.One of them is called Entitled to.

The Job Centre will help you with your CV.

They helped me write one last week as mine was not up to scratch.Now I have a masterpiece but no job as yet.

As for forcing you into a manual job there would not be much point as you would just mention your condition and you would not get that job anyway.

Tell them about your condition and see what develops.

Do not worry about the interview.I understand how you feel as I have just gone down that path.Let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Tawnyowl

Hi Lampini

Check out one of the Benefit Calculator sites see what you may be entitled to.One of them is called Entitled to.

The Job Centre will help you with your CV.

They helped me write one last week as mine was not up to scratch.Now I have a masterpiece but no job as yet.

As for forcing you into a manual job there would not be much point as you would just mention your condition and you would not get that job anyway.

Tell them about your condition and see what develops.

Do not worry about the interview.I understand how you feel as I have just gone down that path.Let us know how you get on

Best wishes

Tawnyowl

Hey Tawnyowl,

Thanks so much..

I have done as you suggested - it doesn't look too bad, and am REALLY happy that they will help with the CV!

Feel so much better reading the forum, just knowing i'm not alone with this.. last time i signed on was the 80s!

xx

Paying only class 2 NI is a drawback, I found this out when I made my first claim in over 25 years.

It was almost 4 years ago and I struggled to get anything.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Income based JSA and HB depend on how much you earn and whether you have a working partner. You can't claim income based JSA if your partner works over 24 hours a week.

I'm single, a private tenant with one lodger paying half the rent.

Paying only class 2 NI is a drawback, I found this out when I made my first claim in over 25 years.

It was almost 4 years ago and I struggled to get anything.

Oh blimey - really?

Oh blimey - really?

At the time I did not have a clue of what to claim or what I may have been entitled to, my wife worked full-time on quite a good salary.

Even now I don't know your circumstances so You shouldn't read too much into my first post.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

At the time I did not have a clue of what to claim or what I may have been entitled to, my wife worked full-time on quite a good salary.

Even now I don't know your circumstances so You shouldn't read too much into my first post.

Cheers!

According to Turn2Us i should be entitled to a small amount of JSA ('cos of the "income from my lodger) and pretty much the whole of my rental paid in HB.. swings and roundabouts i suppose.

Thanks to all who have commented, i think i should sleep a little better now!

x

Yes, this is key - NI contributions are only relevant for cont-based JSA. Income based JSA takes no account of them, and only household income is considered.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Do i need to change my self employed status with HMRC? I was hoping to keep it in case i get an offer of work i CAN do..

Would strongly recommend you inform HMRC that you are no longer self-employed for three reasons:

1. It should mean an end to self assessment forms and associated paperwork.
  2. HMRC will not chase you for N.I. contributions.
  3. Avoids having to answer awkward questions from the DWP if they suspect you are "working on the side".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.