Is this discrimination for being disabled

sirbob10

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi.

I'm looking for some advice regarding my WTC.

Currently I work 24 hours and receive £5 per week WTC which stops me from claiming free school meals for my 3 daughters.

In September this year I'll be reducing my hours by 5 per week to allow me to drive my 2 youngest daughters to school so have been told I will loose my WTC which is no problem as it will allow me to receive free school meals.

In February this year my husband was awarded the enhanced rate in both care and mobility of PIP which means we qualify for the severe disability premium of WTC.

The council has now told me that as I have a disabled husband and I receive a premium for his disability I still won't qualify for free school meals as I'll still be receiving some WTC.

I find this unfair because as she pointed out its because I have a disabled husband that means I can't get free school meals.

I don't personally see this discrimination. The WTC rules where put in place so that couples wouldn't lose out if one was disabled.

As a couple you are still eligible for working tax credits because you work over 16 hours and you have a disabled partner. The maximum award you would get is now £5245 (amount then reduces based on income).

Free school meals are about £2 per day (?) at most l, which for 3 children, 5 days a week for 39 weeks of the year would be £1170. The severe disability element your partner will now get is £1275 (possibly reduced due to income).

So based on those figures you would be better off on tax credits.