New car woes, refund possible?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3300 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In December I took delivery of a new Vauxhall costing about £28k.

Upon collecting the car it had 2 paint chips and was missing the second key. I needed the car so took it. I had to take the car back so they could inspect the chips again, then take back a second time for repair which was done perfectly.

The second key was found 2 weeks or so later.

After that it came up with a sensor failure so it went in for third time. They saw the fault but couldn't fix it then.

It went back for fifth time to be fixed, but they couldn't, only finally doing so on its sixth return.

I then discovered there is a problem with the stereo and dash displays. It went in for the seventh time and they witnessed the problem.

It's gone in now for eighth time and they have had it for 3 weeks or so and don't know what the problem is!

I'm sure sooner or later they will resolve it but really I've had the car three months and in that time it's gone back 8 times and they have had it for nearly a month overall. Also it doesn't even seen as good build quality as the hire car of the same model I'm using, my dash makes more little noises over bumps etc. Also the auto boot can sometimes make a loud embarrassing noise when closing.

Now I just feel I want rid of the car, it's clearly plagued with issues and I don't feel I can ever feel happy now.

What are my rights regarding giving it back to them please?

Many thanks.

I think you have passed the time normally assigned for rejection which is usually 3 or 4 weeks. This isn't set in stone though and can be a lot longer depending on circumstances and the problem.

Are we talking brand new or new 'used' ?

Keep correspondence with them by letter or email so there is a hard copy of all that is said. Tell them they have until Friday 15:00 to make a permanent repair and that time is off the essence and to give you a written guarantee that no further problems will experienced outside of the normal expected with a new car. Continue by saying that if any further problems requires that the car is kept for diagnosis and repair that you will reject it.

Something to keep in mind is that even though the regulations say 'for a short time', rejection is not barred by time and a court has allowed a rejection to stand two years after purchase. That was a boat but I see no difference.

That was a boat but I see no difference.

When was the last time you sailed a boat around the m25? :madgrin:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.