What happens to Mobility vehicle when claimant dies?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3293 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can anyone please advise what happens when a claimant dies and they have a vehicle paid for by the higher rate of mobility on the scheme?

Obviously, the vehicle has to be returned but I would like to know the timeframe in which it should be returned.

Thanks in advance

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

Hi, I assume you need to contact them immediately http://www.motability.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/ as its basically treated like a hire car and if not returned asap there could be a charge for keeping the car since no more payments will be made to the garage/motorbility people.

From the motorbility site:

What happens if a Motability customer passes away?

Should a customer die during their lease, a family member should contact us as soon as possible on 0300 456 4566. A permitted driver can drop the car off at the dealership or alternatively we will arrange for the vehicle to be collected at a convenient time. In the interim, permitted drivers can continue to make use of the car for journeys in connection with the affairs of the customer. The car will continue to be insured until it is handed back or collected by us.

Yes, you do contact Motability as DMG says above asap, so they can start to sort this out for you.

Time frame for car being collected/dropped off, is within 4 weeks usually.

As a friends father who passed away, had contacted Motability & they then sent a letter stating, they were sorry to hear of Mr X passing & that the car could be either collected or dropped off & gave a 4 week time frame window for this to happen.

Hope this helps.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

The insurance side of things can be very tricky, as Motability say the permitted driver can still use the vehicle whilst on business for the hirer only, this is very strict, if you continue to use the vehicle and it is NOT on the hirers business you could become uninsured.

TBH it would be best to return the vehicle asap as to avoid any irregularities with the insurance. Please make sure that the return check is completed and documented and keep this copy you are given safe. Just in case something is missed and they try to claim.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Thank you for your comments.

I have no concerns about the use of the vehicle being other than for the deceased business but I will contact them first thing tomorrow as I was unable to do so before due to the BH.

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

I have spoken with Motability and advised them of the change of circumstances and they have noted this on the records accordingly.

The timeframe permitted for each client is based upon the payment date of DLA and I therefore have 3 weeks to return the vehicle.

I have detailed my journeys to them and they have assured me that I will be insured and I am happy that I have complied with their terms and conditions.

The timeframe permitted is based upon the payment date of your DLA benefit so it could vary for each client.

As the conversation was recorded, I am happy that this matter is being handled correctly.

We had a motobility car that we had to return due to my wife's dla being cancelled.

The motobility group arranged collection of the vehicle about 4 weeks after the award stopped.

The guy who turned up for it was actually a collection agent for a car auction place and he said

that motobility now send any car they get back whether within the lease time or when the lease

runs it's course straight to auction.

Ours was two years old with just 9k on the clock when it went back. I had nursed it and took good

care of it so someone somewhere got a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: Due to the Bank Holiday the funeral is delayed because of a backlog at the funeral directors/cemetery etc. However, I have spoken with Motability and they have extended a further week because of no other transport facilities being available. They have been extremely helpful and courteous throughout - brilliant charity organisation and I fully intend to raise funds to repay a little back for their kindness.

They did advise that after the person has died they, Motability, do not receive any payment for the vehicle from DWP which surprised me somewhat but how generous of them to do this for me :)

I did enquire on the off chance how much they would want for this vehicle and it was too expensive again, because very well looked after and hardly any mileage.

Thought this may help future enquiries of this nature.

Indeed it does help people who have enquiries about this in the future. Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.