Getting rid of old capital one debt

Drewie3000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3303 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

I'm after a bit of guidance on an outstanding balance on an old credit card. Here's a brief history:

March '08 - Took out the credit card with £500 limit. Used the card for 2 years, during which time the limit was upped to £1000.

June '10 - I stop making payments. Various reasons I shan't bore you with.

Oct '10 - Default notice issued and an outstanding balance of £1300 (with a limit of £1000, I'm guessing that's £250 or so of interest and charges).

At some point the debt was sold to a debt collection agency, before then being returned to capital one themselves. I don't have the details of this as I typically filed any such letters straight into the bin.

Fast forward to now and I want to shift this debt off my credit record. Now I know it'll vanish October next year, but I want the balance shifted off my credit record before then so I can set about repairing my rating sooner rather than later.

Now, my options as far as I can see are:

• Pay them in full. Which I can do. It'll mean a few luxuries will have to be sacrificed, but will not adversely effect my normal standard of living.
  • Offer to partially settle for 50% or less. But from reading around, this will leave the account as partially settled on my account, which could upset the likes of mortgage lenders in the future (it'll be easier to explain away if it's fully settled)
  • Ignore it and wait for it to go away (which will mean I'll be 18months further behind getting my credit score up to scratch, so not really an option)

I keep going back and forth between the first two options. I can't remember the exact details of the account. I'm fairly certain I didn't have any PPI on there, as I never went in for PPI on anything else.

Please weigh in with your views on what I should do. At the moment, I'm thinking option one as it'll get the whole lot done and dusted quickest. But at the same time, saving a couple of quid does appeal, so I'm open to ideas on how to go about settling with them.

Thanks everyone

Was there a default notice issued by Capital One - if so, what date has been recorded on your credit files, because.. it wont disappear off there until the 6 years have passed.. whatever you choose to do !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Having it shown as settled would help if it's manually checked by whoever's looking at your report but would still be an issue I would think under automatic credit scoring.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

nothing you can do will negate the default

paid off or otherwise it will kill your chances of credit till the default drops off along with the listing itself

ll references to a defaulted debt must be removed from your credit files after 6 years

has passed from date of default, whether paid off or not.

{the WHOLE ACCOUNT WILL VANISH, never to return}.

{however, this does not mean the debt itself is not still owed

consider a CCA request.}

This is so that someone who continues paying something

- even after 6 years from default

- should not be at a disadvantage to someone who pays nothing after default

and ends up with a clean file after 6 years.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...