NIP For an average speed camera

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Just a bit of advice please.

I got a NIP for allegedly speeding in an area of the M3 between junctions 2 and 3 where there are average speed cameras but on the NIP it does not state my average speed only a single speed.

Where do I stand?

I was most likely speeding ... Doing 61 it the average area of 50... But I am sure I slowed down to make sure my average was within the speed limit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

then you were over the limit by 10MPH

makes no odds your average speed was/might be within any limit over the complete distance

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks.

So even if all the signs say average speed cameras at any one moment travelling over the advertised speed limit would mean I am guilty (which I am not disputing) ??

Does that mean they don't take into account your average in any way shape or form?? So if anyone slows down before they approach the cameras they would be "safe" ??

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

10MPH over a speed limit cannot be 'undone' by travelling an equal distance 10MPH under the speed limit.

typically they work upon the 2MPH + 10% generally accepted speedo error calculation

you were 10MPH over the speed limit, end of!

if it had been 3or4MPH poss ok

dx

and they

Hi

Just a bit of advice please.

I got a NIP for allegedly speeding in an area of the M3 between junctions 2 and 3 where there are average speed cameras but on the NIP it does not state my average speed only a single speed.

Where do I stand?

I was most likely speeding ... Doing 61 it the average area of 50... But I am sure I slowed down to make sure my average was within the speed limit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

"but on the NIP it does not state my average speed only a single speed. "

An 'average speed' IS a single speed.

If I average the numbers 9,6 and 3, then the average of those is 6 - one single figure.

If they had 2 camera's a known distance apart, then they record the time it takes you to get between them. Dividing the distance between them by the time it took gives your average speed, one single figure.

If the cameras were 60 miles apart and you took an hour to get between them ; average speed 60 mph. Let us assume there is a 60 mph limit

If you did 70 mph for the first 30 miles it'd take you just over 25.7 minutes for that segment. If you did 50 mph for the next 30 miles it'd take you 36 minutes.

Overall, it'd take you just over an hour for the 60 miles, so your average for the 60 miles is just less than 60mph, and you wouldn't get a ticket

But if they used 3 cameras, each 30 miles apart, you'd get a ticket for the 70 mph in the first section, as if (for either stretch) you do those 30 miles in less than 30 mins then your average speed FOR THAT SEGMENT is more than 60 mph, and you could get a ticket.

All it takes is for your average speed between any 2 cameras to exceed the limit, not for your "average speed between the first camera and last camera"

(Clearly, they don't put the cameras 30 or 60 miles apart but the principle is the same : distance driven divided by time take to cover the distance gives the average speed for that segment)

Thanks Bazza I understand the maths and I understand I was speeding. I just wanted to know if they HAVE to state that their recording was an average speed or a single speed. That's all.

If you understand the maths, then why the focus on "average speed" against "single speed" for a camera based system.

There is (in effect, for camera systems) no such thing as "single speed". There would be the speed you were doing at the point you triggered a Gatso, for example : but were it to go to court, the photographic evidence would be for "average speed"

All speed is "distance divided by time". So, all is an AVERAGE for the distance travelled, and the time taken.

The distance travelled varies : in my previous (imaginary, illustrative) example it was cameras 30 and 60 miles apart.

For the motorway cameras that are "average speed" it is the distance between each pair of cameras

Even for a "single" (GATSO or Truvelo) camera : it is still an average speed : just not over a very long distance.

If you decide to go to court, saying "detector on the camera was faulty, I wasn't going that fast", then they'll look at the photos and how far you travelled over those white lines painted across the road.

2 photos showing the distance you travelled in the time between the 2 photos: distance over time : your speed between them is still an average!

(So, if you saw the camera and braked sharply, your speed as you triggered it would be more than your speed as it took the 2nd photo - the speed they could prove and prosecute you for is your average speed in the photos)

This is why I'm not sure what you mean by "single speed" : the camera based systems are all average speeds except some are over shorter distances (Gatso) and some (SPECS) are over longer distances.

The "handheld" devices (radar & laser) however don't rely on distance/time : the speed is electronically calculated, so these could give a "single speed", but the camera systems (if challenged in court) would be "average speed".