• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PCN with valid permit displayed in windscreen

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

New user; just signed up to see if anyone has any input on this scenario! Hopefully someone can enlighten me a little.

I just purchased, off my father, his old car.

He's a GP and his car has a valid (until the end of July) residential parking season ticket displayed in the windscreen that relates to the car registration.

This car registration is actually his own personalised plate, which he is in the process of getting transferred to his new vehicle.

My street has residential parking restrictions on it.

It is my intention to apply for a residential permit once the registrations are switched

(he should've done this before selling it to me tbh, but that's another story) and

I actually know what my new registration will be (which is needed to get a permit)

which has not yet occurred;

we are still waiting for a response from the DVLA, but

in the meantime I was rather under the impression I could continue to use his permit.

I had the pleasure of having today off work and noticed this evening that I had a parking ticket on my vehicle,

on my street, directly outside my house.

The alleged contravention is "30 Parked for longer than permitted".

I find this somewhat perplexing,

since I have a valid residential parking permit in the windscreen,

am parked outside the address to which the vehicle is registered

and was not (until now, at least) aware that there were any time restrictions on such a permit.

I've searched high and low on the council's (Harrogate) website to find some mention of a restriction of this sort on such a permit, but can find nothing.

I intend to appeal the PCN. So, my question

- do I have a leg to stand on?

Of course. its an open and shut case. APpeal saying you had the permit, it was displayed.

Also, is this a council maintained scheme, or is a it a private company doing it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The signage is a disc zone, 2 hour stay if you don't have a permit. I do have a permit though.

This is a permit issued by the council. The parking is on street parking and it's a controlled residential area, controlled by the council. PCN was issued by a "civil enforcement officer".

I guess I'm just unsure since permits of this type are issued, in this case, to a GP to allow them to visit patients without fear of getting a ticket. I have just checked with my father; he is unaware of any kind of time restriction on these permits.

The signage is a disc zone, 2 hour stay if you don't have a permit. I do have a permit though.

This is a permit issued by the council. The parking is on street parking and it's a controlled residential area, controlled by the council. PCN was issued by a "civil enforcement officer".

I guess I'm just unsure since permits of this type are issued, in this case, to a GP to allow them to visit patients without fear of getting a ticket. I have just checked with my father; he is unaware of any kind of time restriction on these permits.

Seems very odd they have issued a ticket. I would enquire with the council direct. Then appeal if grounds allow

• Confused 1

Incidentally, on the PCN it says "30 Parked for longer than permitted First observation time 11:37, second observation time 16:51"

Additionally, of course, this permit was issued not to me but to my father, so presumably when I appeal, they'll take the position that yes, the permit is valid and was displayed (so they shouldnt have issued the ticket) but that clearly I'm not the intended user of such a permit, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

If you park there without a valid permit, you are still OK, but only for as long as the time period specified. Therefore, if the permit is invalid, the contravention they used would be correct. This implies the permit is not valid for some reason.

What you said in the first post was that there was a "residential parking season ticket". Now, the question is, can you park there all day with a "residential parking season ticket" - or did you mean a residents' permit?

If so, is the permit valid for that area (usually a zone, specified by a code letter - eg, zone A, zone B etc). If in fact, it's a different sort of permit, then you may have fallen foul of the restriction.

It doesn't normally matter to whom the permit was issued - it's the car which has the permit, not a person - if you get my drift. A passing CEO would be oblivious to whose car it was.

[ATTACH]56914[/ATTACH]

I've attached the image of my permit from the online evidence (identifying marks obscured).

Interestingly, I note that the timestamp of all the evidential photographs are 16:52. There are no photographs from the earlier sighting at 11:37.

Is it possible therefore that if I am infact in contravention of the parking regulations, that I could also challenge it on the basis that they cannot prove that a code 30 Parked for longer than permitted has occurred?

It's probably simpler than you think - you are displaying a "Parking Season Ticket".

Does the reg number on the Season Ticket match the reg number of the car it was in?

If so, is this sort of permit valid for use in the bay you were in? Maybe check this with the council to be sure. Sometimes a sign might say "permit holders", which could be OK - other signs might say "resident permit holders", which is more specific and might not be OK.

Out of interest, what was the exact location?

Code 30 indicates that you parked in a location that is subject to a time limit such as a limited waiting bay. It is unlikely to have anything to do with the resident permit unless the parking bay is shared use and the permit is not valid for that parking place. Normally a parking permit is issued to a vehicle not a person. If you live and park within the same permit zone as your father and the permit relates to the vehicle registration number then the vehicle will be lawfully parked while it displays the permit in permit only bays (this would exclude bays that are limited waiting only). However, if your father takes back the registration plates you will need to apply for a new permit relevant to the new plates.